and fangmonster shalt be his name

steve of rockratgirl has become fangmonster:

right, basically my fiance rockratgirl borrowed my laptop and broke it. hence i have used her computer and name. altho i in fact cache in the name of team rockratgirl.

so, i have become increasingly annoyed at the critism aimed at rockratgirl that should be fired towards me. we now have separate login names and this should now not happen.

i am also annoyed at the vitriol which seems to come from nothing more than me having an opinion. maybe the uk site should make it clear that independent thought is not allowed. that instead there should be blind devotion to our self appointed leaders and any ambitions they might have to 'represent' the whole of the geocaching community in the uk. that if they choose to resign because they can't get their way then we should all resort to sicofantic wailing at their self determined demise.

i also believe that there is a 'clique' of geocachers, based in or around hampshire, who by their mutual association believe that they are the only future of geocaching in the uk. i'm reminded of the kid who takes his ball home because the others kids won't play his game. only, when he later looks out of the window, someone elso in fact turned out to have a ball. maybe the recent flouncy resignees will find out that they are not in fact that indespensible.

i also think that recent contributors to this forum should get a sense of perspective. yesterday was not in fact a sad day. it was an irrelevant one. huge amounts of people didn't die or starve. all that happened on these mere boards was a few disagreements.

i've also looked backwards at some of the comments of established geocachers. i can't express my contemtp at those who have issued threats over these message boards.

lastly, ive had my say and have held back nothing. myself and team rockratgirl will continue geocaching. until those of a certain mindset find a way to ban us, we are here to stay. to the vast, vast majority to whom my comments are not directed, enjoy the game and life in general. to those who have found all this such a disaster, please re-examine your life priorities and get things a little in proportion.

love and best wishes, fangmonster xx

If I die avenge my death.

quote:
Originally posted by Fangmonster:

i am also annoyed at the vitriol which seems to come from nothing more than me having an opinion.

Then perhaps you should question the way you express your opinions, rather than assume the fault in communication is with those who mis-intrepret you.

Not intended as a flame, just an observation. icon_smile.gif

I think people need to get out (and geocache) more. As the discussions keep narrowing their focus, people forget what this is all about. The long walks, the surprises, the adventures, funny stories, rescuing bears, sending travel bugs to Peru, days out, discovering places you never knew existed (sometimes on your doorstep), placing a cache and getting a good response, discoveriong caches in other countries, finding telephone masts disguised as trees....

These are things which geocaching means to me. Before replying to a post, maybe some should go and do a cache first. Put things in perspective.

This email is not aimed at anyone really, it is just a little depressing to see how serious some people take this.

Cheers,

AandS

And yes! I am wearing my flame retardant pants!

Originally posted by The Good Shepherds:

Then perhaps you should question the way you express your opinions, rather than assume the fault in communication is with those who mis-intrepret you.

QUOTE]

This is a very good point, and one for us all to consider.

If you study Neuro Linguistic Programming, there is a concept that the responsibility for the way your communications are acted upon/ interpreted is with yourself. So, if you try and explain something to someone, and they either don't understand or go off and do something else, it is not their fault; it is yours for not communicating effectively and testing for understanding. All about developing rapport.

I knew that bit of info might come in useful sometime!

Maria

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

icon_rolleyes.gif

If fangmonster treats rockratgirl like he treats other members of this forum, it is no surprise if she breaks his laptop.

Chris n Maria, AandS and the Good Shepherds all make a lot of sense. I for one would have had more respect for fangmonster/rockratgirl if he had learned to use the shift key occasionally!

Just a suggestion, and it's not a new one, it's one that came up after the last conflagration. Can people use the smileys/emoticons/graemlins when posts are meant to be humorous, cynical, angry etc. I know on this particular post they are being used so it's just a general point and will also be posted in other threads. That way we know in which way they are intended. The English language is a rich and varied one but many words have 2 or 3 interpretations and inflection can be everything.

I know some people can't stand them but they do serve a purpose. If anyone knows how to create them and increase the number even more then that would be even better. I once saw one that was a flame thrower. That would have been quite useful recently icon_rolleyes.gif

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

a very interesting point on understanding in another being the responsibility of the speaker. however i come from a psychological school of thought that says that anything said will be understood subjectively. that previous experience, beliefs and prejudices will colour how something is understood.

anyways, another good point was how boring and frustrating this is all getting. i know my intentions when i originally posted. there was no malice or malintent. i definately wasn't trying to be a troll!!! (which to me is a mythical creature anyway????)

the bottom line is everything i have said has either been said very badly or been badly mis-interpreted. i must confess i don't usually post on internet message boards of any description. i think if i had expressed my opinions face to face then body language, tone of voice ecetera would have conveyed my message in the way it was intended. maybe the problem with opinions in a text format such as this is that there are no clues as to body language and tone of voice. therefore these things are projected onto the writer.

i am sure many of you will be very pleased to hear this, but i am away working in leicester for the next few days. i will be unable to post. and at the weekend we are taking our new caravan for a trial run. it isn't fitted out with internet access.

this is a big releif to me also.

If I die avenge my death.

quote:
the bottom line is everything i have said has either been said very badly or been badly mis-interpreted. i must confess i don't usually post on internet message boards of any description.

You don't?? are you sure that you arent just banned or hated on other message boards.... icon_wink.gif

I agree with an earlier post up this page about getting out and caching more....we seriously need to do that! its what it is all about!

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Bad, I'm Bad you know it you know!mikejackson1-vi.gif

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Lassitude:

If we have any admins left can we get this idiot off the boards please.]

That's no way to talk about Pid. He means well. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

or did you really mean to post on this thread

---------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

I don't very often offer opinions on these boards as I think that some people take them as a personal attack. But when criticism is directed at a particular person or persons then they have the right to reply in a personal way. Fangmonster obviously has a little chip to share. They are afterall, HIS opinions.

Geocaching is all about FUN. Getting out in the sunshine (or rain if dedication is strong enough) and enjoying this great country of ours.

Why oh why do some people get so irrate and forget why we are here. The admin crew work hard making sure everything is working correctly with this geocaching thing, which in turn lets the rest of us enjoy our sport without the everday hassles of organisation.

Geocaching should be and is open to everybody, whether we agree or disagree with them.

Lets face it, if everybody agreed then we would be living on an emensly boring planet.

quote:
Originally posted by kennamatic:

Can people use the smileys/emoticons/graemlins when posts are meant to be humorous, cynical, angry etc.

And a related suggestion - if it isn't clear how a post is intended, please give the poster the benefit of the doubt! An awful lot of the arguments round here start with people assuming that a post was meant nastily when it wasn't.

What's your favourite thing?

quote:
Originally posted by Fuchov and Di:

Is that Fangmonster or Fagmonster?

Wanna borrow a nice evening dress? I've got a lovely clutch-bag and earings to match!

OOOH! 'ark at 'er!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sure it's not a big girls blouse?! icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by Omally on May 14, 2003 at 12:08 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Fuchov and Di:

Oh please admins, come back and stop trolls setting up accounts and posting messages, I'm starting to get really fed up icon_frown.gif

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Don't you think that sooner or later someone will notice that its a mobile phone not a GPS your using???

quote:
Originally posted by kennamatic:

I know some people can't stand them but they do serve a purpose. If anyone knows how to create them and increase the number even more then that would be even better. I once saw one that was a flame thrower. That would have been quite useful recently.

icon_biggrin.gif

to lassitude and others, i belive we still have free speech in this country and this is a discussion board is it not ?? so talk of 'banning' someone is just pathetic ! truth hurts apparently !

i think the quote goes somthing like 'i may not agree with what you say, but i will fight to the death for your right to say it "

i applaud fangmonster for his cander and although i have only been a geocacher for a short time i can see where he is coming from so to speak.

anyway thats my opinion on the matter humble as it may be

in a world without walls and border's who needs gate's and windows ??

quote:
Originally posted by macpilot:

in a world without walls and border's who needs gate's and windows ??

Whilst Man still lives and breathes, this world will ever have walls and borders. Gates and windows let us be civil instead of just human. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by macpilot:

and this is a discussion board is it not ??

Indeed it is, and that is the root of many peoples frustration that at present there is little discussing but a great deal of posturing, flaming, and general rudeness.

quote:
i think the quote goes somthing like 'i may not agree with what you say, but i will fight to the death for your right to say it "

Yep, and it's a quote that is regularly used by contributors of these fora when discussions have reached their natural end and people agree to disagree.

quote:
in a world without walls and border's who needs gate's and windows

I hope someone does. otherwise that's me out of a job! icon_biggrin.gif

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

quote:
Originally posted by candyflip:

Nope, Slytherins got lot's of pseudonyms.

In response to candyflip....it is funny that you would try to lead others to believe that F@@@v and Di account could be a Syltherin pseudonym. Because F@@@v and Di and Candyflip were created by the same user and it was not Slytherin.

If you are going to try to point fingers go stand in front of the mirror first.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

Totally off topic for a minute (probably not a bad thing this time)

Can I be so presumptious as to suggest that you, yes you Hydee are the inspiration for the little froggie emoticon.

I mean - your avatar, the signature. A coincidence? I think not!

Go on admit it!!! I discovered your little secret, haven't I????? icon_biggrin.gif

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Off topic reply to the off topic post icon_smile.gif

you may assume anything you want, but I can assure you I do not look like a frog. icon_biggrin.gif

But I do like them....You have to kiss alot of frogs before you find your handsome prince. Lucky me I found my prince.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

A slippery one indeed, this Hydee.

She has avoided answering my suspicions and dropped in a casual mention of her Prince all in one short post. icon_wink.gif

I can take a hint - Frogs get the girl and the beer!!

I still think you are behind the frog thing icon_smile.gif

Lance

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

quote:
Originally posted by candyflip:

Nope, Slytherins got lot's of pseudonyms.

In response to candyflip....it is funny that you would try to lead others to believe that F@@@v and Di account could be a Syltherin pseudonym. Because F@@@v and Di and Candyflip were created by the same user and it was not Slytherin.

If you are going to try to point fingers go stand in front of the mirror first.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

Thanx for that Hydee you lovely little rana temporaria (I think) you!!!!

Guys, we've had enough sniping how's about giving it a stop eh?

dodgydaved

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!

quote:
Originally posted by The Hungry Caterpillars:

For instance are HYDEE,CANDYFLIP and thatnaughty one with all the xxxxxs wicked people pretending to be somebody else and are they related to TROLLS ?

I'm sorry I cannot allow gentle Hydee to be grouped with such people.

As for those other rapscallions... Why I oughta..

Lance

quote:

For instance are HYDEE,CANDYFLIP and thatnaughty one with all the xxxxxs wicked people pretending to be somebody else and are they related to TROLLS ?

Hydee is part of Groundspeak and has lots of forum posts under her belt, so I very much doubt she is a troll. As for Candyflip, well, minimal posts and no caches found: good chance that it's a regular visitor hiding behind a new tag... could be wrong of course.

The nasty person with all the xxxx's is deffo a nasty person, and has gone away now (so it would seem), probably to bother some billy-goats! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Ambu:

As for those other rapscallions... Why I oughta..

In the group of rapscallions that you "oughta.." can we also include the likes of "Norfolk and Good" (now curiously "The Goode Guys" - hmm wonder why?), "Dr Crippen" and "Scrooge" icon_smile.gif

Rich

mobilis in mobili

the gentle hydee... I like it maybe I will add that to my username icon_wink.gif

Thank you for the apology, I was not offended you do not know me yet so I can see the concern.

The two usernames I mentioned in my post are puppet accounts created by the same user, as I mentioned before. The offensive name was banned, Candyflip we left alone. Hopefully they will not continue to try to cause problems in the UK forums using puppet accounts.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

quote:

I can understand your actions MTN MAN and totally agree with them.On an even more serious note my other half of The Hungry Caterpillars is getting jealous of the gentle HYDEE and have been told that I am going to -have to sleep in the coal hole-I AM REALLY SCARED-HELP!!!! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Coal Hole? Luxury!! I used to have to sleep in't shoe box in't middle ot' road!!icon_biggrin.gif