Updated SA Geocaching Map

Guest Peter Scholtz

I made it back in May 2001 when there were seven (7!) caches in South Africa. A screen capture from a landsat_5.ecw file you used with some funny viewer. Link no more, but if anyone wants it for historical (?!) reasons feel free to email me.

Back in the days I was one of very few people doing Geocaching. I had to hide 20+ caches to get you guys out there!

My first cache find was Sentinel View by Prof Charles Merry (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a6584ee8-b271-4e6c-9ba5-475f659f3d96) on April 22, 2001. Well actually I didn't make it (followed that arrow on the GPS and tried accessing it from Houtbay side!), tried again on May 1.

Edited by Peter Scholtz

My first Cache was Goudini ... on the 8th of December - 10 days after I've received my GPSr. Since then I've done 75 ... and already hid 20 caches... :( The last accomplishment purely because there were so few hidden caches in my immediate vicinity ... now, guys, follow the example of the likes of TV&M and QFC ... the came raiding through my caches!!! :P;)

I'm going down to the Western Cape over the weekend, will try to complete 100 on the trip ... only three days to accomplish this task ;)

Nou ja ... back to work ... or caching maybe!

Wolkynou

GCZA01 - Easy to decifer that code. GC=Geocaching ZA=South Africa 01=first cache To bad the link to it is no longer very descriptive. Would have been nice to see where it was. Any clues?

My first cache was a virtual 1938 and I didn't really know what I was doing, so wasn't sure if I had found it or not until I got home. Interesting site though and have been hooked ever since.

Anyone know the oldest in each Province? WC - Sentinal View?

Peter, if we see you at the CITO event it will be exactly 5 years from finding your first cache!

More like my first cache attempt, but the thought counts. I've actually had to abandon and return to caches more than once!

I'll be at the CITO.

Funny how it I got out of the office and the progression: Geocaching -> Hiking -> Rock Climbing