Geocaching & 4x4-ing

4x4offroad

Hi all;

A colleague and I have watched this space for a while, and now the bug has bitten us. As lazy people, we do not hike, scramble, ramble or kloof, but rather 4x4 (with discipline!). Our club 'hid' our first cache on Sunday (been posted, awaiting acceptance). We hope to create the same enthusiasm and pleasure which seems to exist in the hiking fraternity around caching, in our 4x4 fraternity. Our club is situated in Gauteng, but it will not stop us from placing well managed caches around Southern Africa. We hope to entice other clubs to partake in this fun element, so as to grow the issue of caching responsibly in our sometimes 'tainted' industry.

I suppose given the laws of the country, we will not be hiding any on a beach somewhere!

Watch the new postings from us. Some of the areas will be private land, where fees are payable (4x4 trails), some will have access to hikers and mountain bikers, and some will be generally accessible, given that the terrain will not be too accessible to normal vehicles (gravel mountain passes etc.)

Any other 4x4ers out there willing to join us? Remember the rules of geocaching, and remember to be responsible and take good care of the environment.

Hi Peter,

Your 2 caches make me and my colleague very homesick! We both moved north this time last year (after 38 years!), and the photo's you placed are areas very well known to me, as our Cape based club used to visit both regularly. I can walk to both your caches right now. Aaaaah! That view from the top of BH is and always will be stunning.

Impressed to see your Landy made it to the top! (dig!)

Regards

Alan

quote:
Your 2 caches ...

Impressed to see your Landy made it to the top! (dig!)

The Melkbos 4x4 cache is Cliffords. The new one is mine. Planning on hiding many more 4x4 caches ...

Btw, what does BH mean?

Actually I've got a 96 Land Cruiser (in a class of it's own!) parked behind the building in the panorama.

Can you recommend 4x4 routes in the Cape Town region. Free ones to start with ...

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

[quote} Actually I've got a 96 Land Cruiser (in a class of it's own!) parked behind the building in the panorama.

Hi Peter,

Firstly BH is the place you were standing upon. Did not want to give it away.

W.r.t the Cruiser - GOOD MAN! - I drive a 1998 Diesel 100 Series myself, bought at the good old Table Bay Motors down the road from BH!

I suggest that you subscribe to a FREE 4x4 News Brief email based on email, where you will get to read about many happenings in the industry in your region. Send an email request to offroad@iafrica.com. Maybe even look at joining the Cape based 4x4x Offroad Adventure Club. There are numerous little hideaway routes in the region, but the authorities are clamping down. The BH, a place in the Fish Hoek area, 1 or 2 others are a few that one can still nip in and out - other than that, it is pay pay pay! The club also does week night drives based on a set of GPS coords, with a braai afterwards - I believe it is good fun and social. We cannot do it in Gauteng - fear of being 'HI JANED' or is it JACK?

Based on your website, I see you have an interesting business. Also in IT up here.

I am going on leave soon (June) via Bots, into NAM, and plan on pacing at least 3-4 caches. The owner of the trail / farm of the last cache was super excited about the concept.

Till later...

I got a call from an unidentified male earlier today, who is visiting Gauteng from the Cape, and he decided to take his friend from Gauteng, and go and search for the cache we placed in the 'Dome'.

He was most distraught as they reckon the co-ords were completely wrong, and that they were scrambling along the mountain top trying to find the cache!

Well, as far as we are concerned, we took 2 readings, before documenting it (both Garmin devices, correctly setup etc.) He assures me with the 11 caches he has found, he knows what he is doing. I do not doubt that.

So what then the lesson - should we take pictures of the GPS at placement time and publish it as proof? Obviously I felt distraught as not finding it, is not the aim of the game. Any suggestions from you wise geocachers out there?

So, whoever you are - apologies, but I really cannot explain it. We do tend to hide the box under a couple of rocks. I will ensure I take more pictures of exact locations etc. next time, as how do you explain to somebody where something is hidden on top of a mountain that really has no reference points.

We placed another cache today in a popular resort, with a very easy 4x4 route. Again 2 devices were used, and the seconds were the only differences. The rest was spot on. I hope there is better luck with this one!

I will revisit the cache in question later in the year and make double sure (that is if it was not found today!).

Regards and happy caching!!!!!

Thanks. Definitely set correctly. Recently used it to lay out a complete 4x4 competition night drive route based solely on GPS co-ords (see May issue of SA 4x4) and all 23 contestants 'found their way'. Thus I do not understand it, as the other guys reckon theirs is set up correctly too. It seems as though they found it (got some email today) but they reckon 400+ metres out!

A mystery indeed!!!!

Dear Tricky Vicky, Mickey and Billycan!

I owe you an apology due to "lack of understanding of ye old geocachers' ways". In the 4x4 industry, we use a GPS in conjunction with maps - and guess what - we stick to Deg,Min,Sec. Little was I to know, except if I had been Miles Ahead and did the usual - RTFM.

I will try and remember from now on that the site actually wants the conversion to Decimal, and not act like a twit and just force the stuff in, assuming the Americans do this to make us confused!

Well, we are never to old to learn tricks from old dogs. Tricky Vicky and I sorted this confusion out telephonically tonite. Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed it, my next one is just as good - just need to change the co-ords, but I put a BIG NOTE on the cache page until I do!

Billycan (or Mickey?), send my regards to the lost son Miles from here - we used to be colleagues at the old CA at N1 City - small world hey!

And next time - think about it, if one option does not work, try another! I certainly will. Prompt Tricky Vicky to have a look at our club!

Thanks for all other suggestions!

Kind Regards

quote:
I will try and remember from now on that the site actually wants the conversion to Decimal, and not act like a twit and just force the stuff in, assuming the Americans do this to make us confused!

Note there are three formats:

1. Degree Minute Second

2. Degree Minute Decimal (Geocaching.com)

3. Degree Decimal

Apparently the reason Geocaching.com uses Degree Minute Decimal (2) is because most GPS's default to it!

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Hi all you great Capetonians! (yes ok, and anybody else who wants to partake!)

Given the recent beach ban and the issues about negative 4x4-ing, a new hot topic flying around in the newspapers this last weekend is the destruction on Blaauwberg Hill, irresponsible 4x4 and Quad bike owners and so on. Clubs and associations are now being pulled into the pot, and it is really getting some stick! This debate has now intensified on 4x4 chat forums on the internet et al.

Obviously many views exist and there is always 3 sides to a story - yours, theirs and the truth.

What I was wondering and trying to evoke here is comments from geocachers who have used this facility (the Hill) and their views on the debate. Would a suggestion of removal of any caches on this location be a ridiculous one, as a show of commitment from the geocaching fraternity to avoid encouragment of topping this hill, and potentially destructing this environment?

I have not posted any of my own views here. I am merely trying to see what geocachers feel about the issue and the environment. As a 4x4-er (positive & responsible type) I would hate to see further bannings etc. based on unsubstantiated issues and pure emotions.

Peter, you have a feet in both camps - it will be interesting to hear your views.

What says you all(sic!)!!!!!

Kind Regards and best wishes over the festive season and keeping on caching!

quote:
Originally posted by 4x4 Offroad Adventure Club:

Hi all you great Capetonians! (yes ok, and anybody else who wants to partake!)

Given the recent beach ban and the issues about negative 4x4-ing, a new hot topic flying around in the newspapers this last weekend is the destruction on Blaauwberg Hill, irresponsible 4x4 and Quad bike owners and so on.

Western Cape Offroad Association/ Alliance

Blaauberg Hill Geoff Russell representing the WCape Offroad Association.

The public meeting attended by approx. 50 people were primarily BCA members,

a lady from city council, 4x4 enthusiasts, a few Quad Bikers and a Scrambler

rider.

The meeting to find workable solutions for the rampant destruction of

Blouberg Hill was facilitated by Louis Raubenheimer (BCA member) and

included the following speakers.

Allan Harrower, a Botanist. He discussed the plants of the area.

Roy Fuller-Gee, he discussed and showed slides of the damage to the hill.

Tony, A geologist discussed how to prevent and deal with the erosion on the hill.

Brian Woodburn SA 4x4 club, spoke about rehabilitating the hill.

I was impressed with the format and how Louis handled the early

interjections from the floor. Early on I had the feeling it was going to

turn into a bun fight. However once it was established that there was by and

large much common ground the meeting turned, in my opinion, to being very

constructive.

I will not discuss the to and fro of the meeting however the outcome,

although not yet confirmed, was the following.

There has been a large drop in people going to the hill since all of the

publicity.

The area of the hill must be rehabilitated.

It should be done by the 4x4 fraternity, hopefully with some help from

City Council.

The Hill may need to be closed during rehabilitation.

Once closed and reopened access to be via one route to the top of the

hill.(Admission fee proposed)

A playground area, possibly including the current Donga/Canyon area, to

be agreed upon (Negotiations with the land owner at an advanced stage).

This, it appears could happen sooner than later and would hopefully keep

people from trashing the hill. If successful it could be really turned into

something great using excavators etc.

The meeting adjourned with agreement that a follow up meeting would be

arranged shortly to discuss and finalise the implementation of the

rehabilitation process.

I believe this to be a true reflection of the meeting and look foreword to

attending the follow up as well as the implementation of the finalised

plans.

I feel sure that many people from the association would willingly get

involved in a project of this nature.

Geoff Russell

Western Cape Offroad Association

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

I am also a 4X4 nut (1996 LR130 & 1963 LR SIIA).

Also going to be placing a number of caches just for 4X4 fraternity.

First one is already in place - QUARRY CACHE - in KwaZulu-Natal.

Glad to see someone else who is lazy and who would rather have an off-road vehicle strapped to his butt when geocaching!!!!

All the best - Keep on playing