Event Cache

Guest Peter Scholtz

Guest Raymond E

Testing testing testing...!! I seem to be having trouble posting my replies or submitting messages so here goes, again! While I'm at it, a cache event is a great idea!

Guest hermanm

I am not sure what you mean by an "Event Cache", but I assume it is some

sort of a get together?? I only started geocaching about 3 months ago and

is quite new to the game. Please let me know if you organise something.

I live in Benoni, and I assume you live in Cape Town vicinity. I will be

down in the Cape for the Cape Argus cycling event over the weekend of 10

March.

Guest Peter Scholtz

I wanted to go to the Cederberg the weekend of 8-10 March to go find three caches. Guess doing it Monday the 11th wouldn't be possible?

Saturday 9 March seems best. Would caching cyclests be prepared to do it the day before the race?

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Guy Harwood

Great, we can have it at my house if you like, Marina da Gama, Lakeside/Muizenberg, we have a swimming pool, so if hot day and we have braai at lunch time, everyone is more than welcome.

Cheers

Guy H.

Guest Raymond E

Saturday 9 March suits me but I wonder whether the cyclists would favour the day before the race. In my experience, they live in a separate world then and its a very early start the next morning. Will the venue be posted via coordinates?

Guest Peter Scholtz

Well, the only reason we've decided on 9 March is because hermanm said he'll be here, so we need his input if it would suite them. If not then we can change the date as I'd like to go to the Cederberg that weekend but will cancel it if the event cache is on 9 March.

Guy, nice meeting you, was a bit strange meeting a stranger on top of a mountain in the clouds. Sure I'll get used to it as the game/adventure/sport becomes more popular. Thanks for offering your house for the event cache.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest hermanm

We will definitely try to attend a Saturday (midday or evening) 9 March get together, if we can. There is still a slim

chance that we will have to drive through the Friday night, and then I will not be able to attend. I am probably the only

(??) geocacher from far away who will be attending the Argus, so please do not organise the timing just for me.

Guest Guy Harwood

I have booked my calendar/house for 9 March 2002 @ 12:00. I would prefer midday lunch/braai as Pierre Janssens (also a GeoCacher) is doing the Argus, so early night would be a good idea.

I'm quite happy to do salads, please confirm numbers. I'll also provide fire/wood. So it'll be bring your own meat or fish(?), drinks etc.

Cheers

Guy

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by cmerry:

It all sounds very intriguing, but what is an event cache (please excuse my ignorance)?

Basically a Bring & Braai. Only difference is the address isn't given, only the coordinates.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Doug Gildenhuys

I have to drop a friend at the airport for a noon flight on the 9th; I should be able to make it, though - CPT Int to Southern Suburbs does not take long! Will confirm during this coming week.

Guest hermanm

I am not sure if I missed anything, but is the time and coordinates fixed already? The geocache coordinates stated

seem to me not in a residential area???

Herman and Esme will try to be there.

Guest Guy Harwood

The co-ordinates have not been updated yet.

Will give them to Peter soon.

Event cache is as follows:

Date: 9.3.2002

Time: 12:00

Bring own meat/fish/drinks.

I'll do salads, provide firewood.

Please confirm numbers, thanks.

Guy.

Guest Raymond E

Unique in that it combines physical adventure with cerebral relish, Geocaching is succinctly described on the home page as ?the sport where YOU are the search engine?. Its also principally a game! How about a game at our first cache event next month ? an ice-breaker, a guessing game, something like a ?Kim?s Game?. As we arrive at our venue, we do not introduce ourselves. Instead, we are each allocated a number and a list with blank numbers. As the meeting progresses, we enter the names of who we think the numbers represent, until the moment of truth when all is revealed! From our cache comments, entries in logbooks etc, we already have an insight or vague idea of our fellow participants. For instance, the man wearing the Spiderman suit and holding a Kilkenny can be none other than our pioneer trailblazer par excellence, Peter Scholtz. Obviously, it will be a one-off event - what do you think?

Guest Peter Scholtz

By the way, now that I've managed to get you to the forums, I'd like to point out the rest of the South Africa forum: click South Africa at the top ...

For example I've started a new topic: `Expanding the game`.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za