Electronic Files with Geocaches

Global_Viking

This topic is intended to keep all Geocachers up to date with regard to electronic files containing information on the Geocache positions. By downloading these files you don't have to punch in all the positions by hand.

icon_rolleyes.gif

There are, apart from LangLat's data (see topic: All Caches in one GPS map), the below formats available. Data is as of 14th August 2003 (166 caches).

MapSource 20030814

Fugawi 20030814

EasyGPS 20030814

You can simply download each of these files and then use whatever software you have available for your GPS.

icon_biggrin.gif Happy Hunting

Global_Viking

[This message was edited by Global_Viking on August 14, 2003 at 12:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by Global_Viking on August 14, 2003 at 12:35 PM.]

[This message was edited by Global_Viking on August 14, 2003 at 01:03 PM.]

I previously looked at the Premium membership for Geocaching, so that I may have the cache info available offline. This did not prove satisfactory to me and I then created an Excel spreadhseet containing all the relevant cache information. I also printed the webpage info, map, etc. to PDF format (PDF print tool available for free download), which I added as links to the Excel spreadsheet. Obviously it needs updating, but now that the groundwork was done, it only takes me about an hour a week to have the spreadsheet up to date (usually doing it on a Monday). This at least gives me something acceptable to work with offline from the internet. I am however looking at converting this into a VB application, but at the moment I do not have the time for it.

Hi, yes, EasyGPS is a good start to managing the pocket queries. Have you tried this free program?

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Many in New Zealand use it - I'm mighty impressed too and happily paid the voluntary registration. Going by other forums is very well regarded wherever it's used.

The big feature for me is that it's easy to upload my weekly pocket query and to thus have not only the location, distance, bearing, last 4 log status, travel bug status etc etc but also the actual cache page only 1 click away. :blink:

So it's now easy to have all this info on the laptop or PDA. No more paper! And info only as old as the latest query - or queries as you can load any other stored query variation. Keeping up to date info is now very simple and very quick.