City Select South Africa

pdhbo

quote:
Originally posted by Jors:

For under R1000, Garmap might be an option too.

Not much there, but look at http://www.garmap.com

Does anybody know the real difference between Garmap and Mapsource. I have an Etrex Vista and am very keen to purchase one of these but am not sure which one is better value.

Garmin on the one hand should be more compatible and I get lookup functions for streets etc but on the other hand Garmap is R1300 less, and I suspect Garmap would be kept up to date more so than the Garmin product. However -how many users are there of Garmap's product? Garmin's mapsource has pedigree whereas Garmap seems to be version 1 software. Anybody tried both- Do they both have the same level of accuracy and detail?

Not Garmap vs Mapsource, but Garmap vs CitySelect (both run on Mapsource).

CitySelect data comes from Navtech (USA) & Garmap data from MapIT (RSA)

Choosing the most suitable product depends on many variables, but the most important is probably your GPS receiver model and its capabilities.

CitySelect only covers details for JHB, PTA, CT & DBN, but it does allow address & POI searching and Autorouting. Also the total size of all map tiles is just over 11MB (which will comfortably fit onto a unit like the GPS-V).

Garmap on the other hand, covers more cities (see www.garmap.co.za), but does not support street & OPI searching, nor Autorouting, AND the total size is over 40MB!!!

Soooo, if you live in JHB, PTA, CT or DBN and have a receiver that supports autorouting, CitySelect is definitely worth it (what a pleasure not having to use a map book anymore!).

Alternatively, go for Garmap, but bear in mind that you will not be able to load all maps onto the receiver at the same time.

my 2c worth!

I've used the MapSource products extensively over the last 3 years. I can tell you that they are brilliant for driving around, and depending on your GPSR the software is extremely informative. I even ended up driving through Portugal, watching my GPS instead of the road, as there were no markers on the road indicating hairpin bends on precipitious mountain passes.

As for the South African edition. I found it very disappointing. My disappointment was related to the price of the product against the price of the european product which is much more detailed and extensive, covering all of europe in minute detail. The SA edition only covers major cities. Having said this, the market in SA for such products is currently quite small, therefore higher prices. While all the digital information is out there, there is a great expense in mapping these maps and test driving them. I've converted some of my own maps, and believe me it takes an age.

As for mapsource and etrex. The etrex has no mapping functionality, you can only create routes and upload these, i.e. no autorouting etc. I use a GPS V.

Can not comment much on the Garmap software, however when I last visited there site, the offering was much the same as Mapsource. However, mapsource is more suited to my GPSR with autorouting etc.

GlobalRat

Another 2c worth of comment!

I recently acquired version two of the Garmap product which now boasts with more than 160 detailed towns/cities. Accuracy of the maps are claimed to very good and this is borne out by my own experiments.

I use an eTrex Venture and found that the recorded tracks correspondes extremely well with the actual streets, rural roads, highways etc.

Map detail for towns/cities also seems to very extensive.

At R990-00 it is still under R1000-00, but only just.

Metro Nomad