MapQuest maps more precise in some parts of Finland

Divine

I don't know about the rest of the Nordic Countries, but at least in Finland the MapQuest maps, which are linked to every cache page, used to be very inaccurate. With the exception of capital district you could zoom the map in only once. If you zoomed it in more, you got 'No Data Available'-message. This wasn't very helpful, but as I didn't use to have any mapping software, the inaccurate once-zoomed MapQuest maps were in many occasions the only maps I had when I went cache hunting.

Now I'm very glad to notice that at least some parts of the Finland seem to have more accurate maps. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to apply to all parts. Bigger cities like Turku, Oulu, Lahti or Kuopio can still be zoomed in only once. Then again, apparently the area north of the capital district is more zoomable and precise even north of Tampere, at Virrat-Mänttä area.

Obviously MapQuest is improving their service, which is very nice in these regions of lousy maps. Hopefully we get improvements to other parts of our countries soon too!

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

MapQuest seems to use the same map supplier (NavTech) as Garmin does for their MapSource products. Garmin's MapSource map viewer here gives you a good idea of the current detailed coverage.

Garmin's StreetPilot III is a remarkable tool, by the way. The accuracy of the driving directions the device provides when using detailed maps is astounding! Seemed to be better in Germany than in Finland, however, or maybe it's just a case of having local knowledge here in Finland...

quote:
Originally posted by Scala:

Garmin's StreetPilot III is a remarkable tool, by the way. The accuracy of the driving directions the device provides when using detailed maps is astounding! Seemed to be better in Germany than in Finland, however, or maybe it's just a case of having local knowledge here in Finland...

This should come as no big surprise as Garmin's Map Source City Navigator Europe v5 http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavEuro.jsp explicitly states 'Limited Coverage' in Finland except for the cities of Helsinki, Tampere. icon_wink.gif

Virtual Regards from ArktiS

quote:
Originally posted by ArktiS:

Garmin's Map Source City Navigator Europe v5 explicitly states 'Limited Coverage' in Finland except for the cities of Helsinki, Tampere.

Yeah, that detailed area in the map you pointed, is exactly the 'new' accurate area also in MapQuest maps. Hope the area grows soon.

From the same Garmin's webpage:

quote:
Pricing and Availability

MapSource City Navigator Europe

(includes access to the whole CD-ROM)

Please note: This product is only available for purchase in the U.S. This product cannot be purchased in Europe.

The map of Europe can't be purchased in Europe. That's logical.icon_razz.gif

MapQuest maps of Finland are much more accurate than Garmin maps. Here are maps of Hämeenlinna.

54843_300.jpg

54843_200.jpg

MapQuest map is in bigger scale, but Garmin map don't get better by zooming in.

I use road atlas "GT Tiekartasto Suomi Finland" by Genimap (about 40€). Southern Finland is presented on the scale of 1:200 000 and northern Finland on the scale 1:400 000.

MapQuest map which is zoomed in once or twice is just suitable to find the place from GT road atlas. Then I stick a Post-it note clipped to arrow shape to mark the place.

[This message was edited by PekkaR on August 07, 2003 at 03:20 AM.]

[This message was edited by PekkaR on August 07, 2003 at 03:21 AM.]

[This message was edited by PekkaR on August 07, 2003 at 04:11 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by ArktiS:

This should come as no big surprise as Garmin's Map Source City Navigator Europe v5 http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavEuro.jsp explicitly states 'Limited Coverage' in Finland except for the cities of Helsinki, Tampere. icon_wink.gif

Virtual Regards from ArktiS

I was indeed talking about areas Garmin claims to have detailed maps of. The area is bigger than Helsinki and Tampere, however. It's not like Garmin is going to list every small town in Finland on their promotional material. It may be that more attention has been paid to maps of larger cities.

[This message was edited by Scala on August 07, 2003 at 04:16 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by PekkaR:

MapQuest map is in bigger scale, but Garmin map don't get better by zooming in.

Try the City Navigator Europe maps from Garmin. They are the most detailed.

Clearly the map viewer Garmin has on their website is inferior to MapQuest's, but that may have something to do with the fact that Garmin is just pitching a sale for their CD-ROM products icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Scala:

I was indeed talking about areas Garmin claims to have detailed maps of. The area is bigger than Helsinki and Tampere, however.

Yep, it seems to be the area between, around and including Helsinki and Tampere.

I was indeed talking about areas Garmin claims to have detailed maps of. The area is bigger than Helsinki and Tampere, however.

Yep, it seems to be the area between, around and including Helsinki and Tampere.

This is an old topic which I started when I noticed that MapQuest (the service where every cache page links to) had surprisingly more zoomable areas for some parts of Finland. Now it seems the precise area has widened again (I don't know when): The maps are zoomable to the most precise state now also in the southwest Finland area! Seems the detailed area reaches all the way somewhere to Merikarvia.

This is great for users like me, who don't want to invest to a GPSr with maps.:huh:

Also the routing feature seems to work.

It’s true that Mappoint works nicely in some parts of Finland, but not everywhere....

The latest Tekniikka&Talous magazine (18.11.2004) told that Microsoft still has lot of work to do with the routings in Finland: The shortest route from Oulu to Helsinki goes via Stockholm!

Certainly, they have better roads in Sweden and it’s nice to travel by ferry, so there are some good reasons to use this a quite exceptional route :(