Note to reviewer may be a note to everybody

PekkaR

Mikkozzz send a message that everybody could see his note to reviewer of cache Töölönlahti 1. The note was visible four hours before Mikko deleted it. In the note were final coordinates of multi-stage cache.

It is better not to write spoiler information in a note to reviewer because it isn't sure that the information is private.

PekkaR

[This message was edited by PekkaR on October 26, 2003 at 12:03 PM.]

That is complicated, because to my understanding nowadays the cache hider must give all the coordinates of a multicache when (s)he submits a new cache. If the approver forgets to delete the approver-only information before actually approving it, things like this will happen.

So it's the approvers who should be careful when doing their job. Probably the administration could fix the cache hiding form so that the approver-only information simply can't come visible on the cache page once it's public.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

Yes indeed, very complicated and definitely something the approver should take care of. A single geocacher cannot wait in front of the computer and click "refresh" all the time to see when the cache is being published.

Just wrote to Mikko that the situation was new for us as well, has not happened when we have reported our own caches, however, we have not placed any multi stage caches since the new reporting tool came in picture.

Today, we were searching a couple of other caches and decided to check the "final coordinates" of this particular cache as well. We were pretty surprised that the cache was really there!

Anyway, Mikkozzz could ask the approver, what happened, don't you think?

quote:
...if the hider submits only ONE note to approver. If there's more, it's up to the approver to notice it and remove the notes.

How to make more than one note to reviewer? There is only one text area in cache form for that note. Notes made by "log your visit"-link are messages which are meant to be visible.

PekkaR

icon_frown.gif That explains it then. When I sent the page for the first time, there was a note to reviewer. Then I edited the page once and I also edited the note. Afterwards there were two separate notes with green face. The original as well as edited one. However, automatic deletion did not delete either of them. I had to delete both manually after the page had become public, but then it was too late for Jyrki&Sari.

Something new to be learnt every day...

Mikko

World is a comedy to those who think, and a tragedy to those who feel

There have been a few bugs with the "note to reviewer" not self deleting as it should when the cache is approved. I try to go back and check, then manually remove it if it is still there. Sorry if I've missed one. icon_frown.gif

The observation about multiple logs causing it to not self delete is true. It may also be that if there is a log about a travel bug that may interfere as well. In any event I'll try to keep checking for any that remain and manually delete them.

Please excuse the delay in approving Scandinavian caches from the weekend. There are perhaps 20 or 25 in the approval queue. I am working on getting a new Scandinavian approver to take over for me and want him or her to have something to do. If the approval of the approver does not occur today I will approve those caches in the queue tonight so people don't have to wait too much longer. (Your english must be really good to understand that last sentence.) icon_wink.gif

Thanks!

erik - geocaching.com admin

quote:
If the approval of the approver does not occur today I will approve those caches in the queue tonight so people don't have to wait too much longer. (Your english must be really good to understand that last sentence.)

I suppose that I understood that icon_wink.gif.

PekkaR

I made a new cache on Sunday. Now I got an automatic message that my note to reviewer is deleted. There was only one note so everything went well.

"This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

Your Log for Listing Keep it simple (Traditional Cache) was deleted by Tahu Nuva at 10/27/2003 11:58:49 PM

Visit this listing at the below address: ----

Tahu Nuva profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=1befc451-8915-492a-813e-cd3c19262484"

PekkaR

[This message was edited by PekkaR on October 28, 2003 at 05:20 AM.]