I don't want to be critical

jasy

quote:
Originally posted by jasy:

But it is a fact that Finland is not a part of Scandinavia. I don't mind Finnish presence though :-)

/jasy

Good one Jasy... but I like the finnish to icon_razz.gif

/CyberJunkie

"Only two things are infinite,

the universe and human stupidity,

and I'm not sure about the former...."

quote:
Originally posted by jasy:

That is a more appropriate title :-)

Who will mail Jeremy?

/jasy

I suggested Scandinavia to Elias, so I guess I'm the one to blame. Have you noticed that it says Iceland too, on the main page? That's definitely not Scandinavia!

However, Scandinavia is more well known to foreigners (Americans) than Nordic countries.

How about 'Those countries in northern Europe with similar pattern in their flags with a cross on one-colored ground color - yes, Norway too, althoug the pattern is a bit different -forum'? icon_razz.gif

Seriously, whether foreigners - whoever they are - know which countries are Nordic or not, imho that is the most correct common denominator for ICE, NOR, DEN, SWE and FIN so far. Scandinavia is the best known, I admit that - heck, even I have told foreigners Finland is in Scandinavia - but it simply isn't like that. Now should we have the forum name changed? I don't know. It just doesn't feel to be that big a deal.. Other opinions?

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body.

Quoting from Encyklopedia Britannica:

quote:
Scandinavia: Generally held to consist of the two countries of the Scandinavian Peninsula, Norway and Sweden, with the addition of Denmark. Some authorities argue for the inclusion of Finland on geologic and economic grounds and of Iceland and the Faroe Islands on the grounds that their inhabitants speak North Germanic (or Scandinavian) languages related to those of Norway and Sweden.

So it's pretty much just Norway and Sweden. And I'm not that sure about Norway either, so let us just call this forum "Sweden".

OK, bad idea icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

I think you're going to be stuck with Scandinavia.

To Americans, Nordic brings to mind types of skiing or a racial thing.

Why not call it Lappland? That makes me think of reindeer, and everybody loves reindeer.

Nordic Countries is the correct form, no matter what it brings to mind. Scandinavia doesn't include Iceland, Finland, and some argue even about Denmark. Lapland consists only of the northern parts of Norway, Sweden and Finland (though I think Norwegians call it Finnmark), so Iceland and Denmark are excluded.

mmmm.....sauted reindeer..... *drool* :

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

quote:
Originally posted by Ka-Ka:

The name is not really important. The important thing is what we write here. I don't mind if this forum section still is call Scandinavia (and we include Finnish people anyway).

Of course it is important, why do you think I started this thread icon_confused.gif

/jasy

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Morgan&Family:

Well, i mailed Jeremy and asked him to change the name of this forum to "Nordic countries".

I didn't see the e-mail you sent in, but I went ahead and changed the name of this forum for you.

My apologies if the countries I listed for this forum aren't appropriate. In an attempt to figure out what countries were appropriate, I found a Scandinavian Tourist Board web site that listed these countries on the front page. As a typical American, my knowledge of world geography is nothing short of appalling. To make matters worse, I'm a tech guy, so I'm almost hopeless. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you'd like me to alter the countries listed for this forum, just e-mail me at admin at Groundspeak and I'll be happy to make the changes.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

As a typical American, my knowledge of world geography is nothing short of appalling. To make matters worse, I'm a tech guy, so I'm almost hopeless. icon_rolleyes.gif

-Elias

I was going to add Greenland and Minnesota, but Eljas has ruled, and that's all that matters. I just hope that he didn't misread Nordic as nerdic. The latter would be his home territory. I, on the other hand, consider myself an expert on all things Scandinavian that are really important. For one thing, my exbrother-in-law went steady with Ann-Margaret when they were 13 yrs old, but I won't bother anyone with the boring details.

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Morgan&Family:

Well, i mailed Jeremy and asked him to change the name of this forum to "Nordic countries".

I didn't see the e-mail you sent in, but I went ahead and changed the name of this forum for you.

My apologies if the countries I listed for this forum aren't appropriate. In an attempt to figure out what countries were appropriate, I found a http://www.goscandinavia.com web site that listed these countries on the front page. As a typical American, my knowledge of world geography is nothing short of appalling. To make matters worse, I'm a tech guy, so I'm almost hopeless. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you'd like me to alter the countries listed for this forum, just e-mail me at admin at Groundspeak and I'll be happy to make the changes.

-Elias

This is democracy for you icon_smile.gif

/jasy