It's a new forum!

Gustaf

Hej Gustaf,

hur går det med geo-fotbollen? Märkte att spelare har tagit en lång fika precis innan jul och bollen har stannat stilla icon_wink.gif Du skulle väl inte vilja sätta igång något skandinaviskt spel?

BTW, du och andra skandinaviska cachare, har du märkt att när man lägger in en ny cache på sajten så tar det längre än vanligt att den verkligen syns och har blivit "approved". Vet du vad detta kan bero på? Vem är de som får "approva"? Charter members?

Ha det bra och hör av dig om bollen kastas till Finland!

Sari & Jyrki

Det är väl säsongsuppehåll i fotbollen antar jag. Inte mycket jag kan göra åt saken, jag dömer ju bara.

Ska det bli ett skandinaviskt spel får det bli något annat än fotboll, som ju tenderar att mest röra sig på mittfältet. Kanske kan man överföra någon annan sport till geocachingens värld, något som inte är så koncentrerat till mittfältet och som kanske kan ha mer än en "boll". Geo-biljard???

Nya cacher godkänns av en liten kommitté på några få personer. De har delat upp vissa länder mellan sig, beroende på att alla inte kan/förstår alla språk. Jag antar att någon "approver" förstår nordiska språk, men jag vet inte. Är det någon annan som vet?

By the way, i forgot to say that IMHO is that it's unfair and unpolite against other geocachers to make cache descripitions only with your own language, i.e. for example in swedish or finnish only. As this is an international hobby, the cache descriptions and preferably also all loggings should be in english OR in english plus in your local language.

[This message was edited by Captain_Morgan&Family on January 29, 2003 at 02:44 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jyrki&Sari

BTW, du och andra skandinaviska cachare, har du märkt att när man lägger in en ny cache på sajten så tar det längre än vanligt att den verkligen syns och har blivit "approved". Vet du vad detta kan bero på? Vem är de som får "approva"? Charter

members?

Originally posted by Gustaf:

Nya cacher godkänns av en liten kommitté på några få personer. De har delat upp vissa länder mellan sig, beroende på att alla inte kan/förstår alla språk. Jag antar att någon "approver" förstår nordiska språk, men jag vet inte. Är det någon annan som vet?

(Tyvärr min svenska är ganska dålig, alltså ursäkta mig min felen..)

Jag har också märkt at det tar längre här att godkänna nya cacher. Jag har just lagt in min första cachen i Tammerfors, Finland och när jag väntade för 'approval' såg jag att många Amerikanska cachen, som hade lagt in på samma dagen, hade redan godkänts.

Det kan inte alltid vara därför att de måste ha några som kan tala nordiska språk. De flesta av åtminstone Finska cachen är på Engelska. Alltså fast alla 'approverna' förstår visst Engelska. icon_smile.gif Också min nya cache är endast på Engleska. Trots det blev det godkänt mycket senare än några andra cachen från samma dagen jag hittade

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

Oops, didn't post my Swedish language message right after I wrote it, instead went to lunch.icon_razz.gif When I came back I noticed that Captain Morgan had already enlightened the approval matter. Thanks for that.

I agree with Captain Morgan that the cache descriptions should always be at least in English. If there's an optional language as well, it's ok. I know a bit German and Swedish, but I'd sure like to seek some caches in different countries in my future trips and it would be sad if I couldn't understand the description

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body.

[This message was edited by Divine on January 29, 2003 at 02:27 AM.]

Now that we nordic cachers have this own forum, should we start ****ry/language based threads? I mean one for each country where it is allowed to use only the native language (& enlish?). I can somehow understand swedish but nobody would understand if I tried to write it icon_rolleyes.gif

-Not to mention the "exotic" Norwegian, Danish and Icelandish!

We finns could use Cpt Morgan's 'Moi Suomalaiset' -thread.

Just a suggestion, what do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Morgan&Family:

Instead when someone starts a new thread, there could be some keyword in the beginning of the subject, for example, FIN:, SWE:, NOR:, DAN:, ICE: or something like that which indicates the language used in that thread.

I second that idea. Very good, Morgan! Although, in most cases you see the language used just by reading the topic. And it's pretty easy just to open the thread and check the language there. But using the keywords is very polite to other language speaking cachers

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

quote:

Instead when someone starts a new thread, there could be some keyword in the beginning of the subject, for example, FIN:, SWE:, NOR:, DAN:, ICE: or something like that which indicates the language used in that thread.

I second that idea. Very good, Morgan! Although, in most cases you see the language used just by reading the topic. And it's pretty easy just to open the thread and check the language there. But using the keywords _is_ very polite to other language speaking cachers

But it would be fun too understand what you are discussing so please try to use english if you can. icon_smile.gif You can still use FIN, SVE, NOR etc. in the topic if you want to highlight country-specific issues??

/CyberJunkie

"Only two things are infinite,

the universe and human stupidity,

and I'm not sure about the former...."

quote:
Originally posted by CyberJunkie:

[but it would be fun too understand what you are discussing so please try to use english if you can. icon_smile.gif You can still use FIN, SVE, NOR etc. in the topic if you want to highlight country-specific issues??

A agree with that. I guess we all want to understand the best parts. On the other hand, i guess in every Nordic country there is also so young geocachers, that they do not understand english well, so we must keep on discussing in our local lanquages too.

quote:

In geocaching community we have only one european approver, and he is user Yotian Soldier known also better as Hawkeyes. He is from Netherlands. I don't remember anymore his real name, but it was Ramco or something like that.

[This message was edited by Captain_Morgan&Family on January 29, 2003 at 02:44 AM.]

I do not believe that Hawkeyes and I are the same person.....

But I am indeed a european approver. and you may feel free to mail me or pm me threw this forum..

yotian_soldier@europeNOSPAM.com, just leave the NOSPAM out and you have my mail adress...

Greetings,

Yotian Soldier

Kroog, sort of sounds formiliar, but do not know why...

quote:

In geocaching community we have only one european approver, and he is user Yotian Soldier known also better as Hawkeyes. He is from Netherlands. I don't remember anymore his real name, but it was Ramco or something like that.

I recently got a new cache approved by another approver, namely erik88l-r. Maybe we got more than one approver now in Scandinavia.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=55806

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

Ok, Ka-Ka, please tell me that your user name means something in Swedish that is different than what it sounds like in English.

None of my business, of course icon_wink.gif, but AFAIK 'kaka' means bread or cake in Swedish. You might ponder the taste of that of course. icon_biggrin.gif

Did you know that the Swedish word 'infart' doesn't either mean what you might think? That's what they call 'driveway'... icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Now that I got into it, kaka is also English, German etc. for 'bush parrot' (Nestor meridionalis), Latvian for 'feline-like', Hungarian for 'bulrush or rush' (family Cyperaceae), Icelandic for 'dabble' and the nickname of Brazilian football (soccer) player Ricardo Izecson Santos Leite. icon_biggrin.gif

When the Swedish road authority tried to get the speed down on Swedish highways, they had banners hanging on some bridges over the roads, with the text "Would you pass a speed check?", something that in Swedish becomes "Klarar du en fartkontroll?".

For some reason, English speaking people found that very amusing... icon_wink.gif

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

Ok, Ka-Ka, please tell me that your user name means something in Swedish that is different than what it sounds like in English.

To me it means nothing. It is the two first letters in my first name (Karl) and then the two first letters in my surname (Karlsson). To separate I use to put a hyphen in between. My friends use to pronounce it like the Swedish word for a cookie (in swedish: kaka).

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

Now that I got into it, _kaka_ is also English, German etc. for 'bush parrot' (Nestor meridionalis), Latvian for 'feline-like', Hungarian for 'bulrush or rush' (family Cyperaceae), Icelandic for 'dabble' and the nickname of Brazilian football (soccer) player Ricardo Izecson Santos Leite. icon_biggrin.gif

That was funny. I have to remember this in case someone else ask about my username. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ka-Ka:

To me it means nothing. It is the two first letters in my first name (Karl) and then the two first letters in my surname (Karlsson). To separate I use to put a hyphen in between. My friends use to pronounce it like the Swedish word for a cookie (in swedish: kaka).

Thanks for the explanation. Btw, my middle name is Carl. This thread could probably go on forever about words with different meanings in different languages. I'll tell just one story. Years ago I was in the Boy Scouts in Phx., Az. Webelos is a term in Scouting (I don't remember exactly what for). There were a few Mexican-American boys in my troop. They grow up learning Spanish and English equally well. They seemed to be amused by how Webelos sounded like huevos. Huevos is Spanish for eggs. We all know that it doesn't take much to amuse 12 year old boys. Us older ones too.