Today's update - May 19, 2023

A few additional follow-up features added/bugs fixed that went out today:

• New single textbox coordinate entry for posting waymarks - (the fix for the E/W issue)
  • Added "Get Current Location" functionality when entering coordinates for premium members
  • Added messaging to let user know that the "get current location" is in progress when the button has been pressed
  • Added similar enhanced coordinates/get current location functionality to the homepage search
  • Overhauled the "Preferences" settings section
    • Still working to ensure all the settings are working correctly across the site, but this is a first step
  • Added "Show Last Visited Date" setting to account settings page
    • "Show Last Visited Date" setting now actually controls whether last visited date is visible or not
    • Added a lock icon for users who have selected private last visited date (so they know it's private for other users)
  • Begun the long process of fixing date formatting sitewide (more to do here coming soon)
  • Updated the number of active scavenger hunts per premium user to 25 
  • Moved the news tab from top of the site to the footer
  • Moving the ONE MILLION WAYMARKS celebration post down below featured waymarks and Waymarkly app
  • Bug Fix: Check for existing waymarks is now being called when "Update and Continue" button is pressed (on unfinished waymarks only)
  • Bug Fix: Fixed spacing on a few tables in the stats section so they fit the page better
  • Bug Fix: Removed non-functional "Update My Statistics" Button in profile
  • Bug Fix:  time zone user setting was off by one zone in account settings
  • Bug Fix: Category status label on group page no longer displaying weird html
  • Bug Fix: saved search dropdown should no longer show up as disabled for premium members

If you see any issues with this release, please post anything you find into this thread. I'll be watching throughout the weekend and will be available to make any changes (or roll back) if need be. 

Enjoy!

bootron

Edited by bootron
  • Helpful 4

I cant input coordinates in any of the suggested formats - yikes

Each time I try the site says I have to post coordinates, and -- I DID? 

15 Minutes later, it is working for me :)

Thank you Bootron for investing time energy and resources into Waymarking.  The loss of Benchmarking still hurts (see our caching name ha) but if some of that savings was invested into Waymarking, we appreciate it

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
update
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I cant input coordinates in any of the suggested formats - yikes

Each time I try the site says I have to post coordinates, and -- I DID? 

15 Minutes later, it is working for me :)

Thank you Bootron for investing time energy and resources into Waymarking.  The loss of Benchmarking still hurts (see our caching name ha) but if some of that savings was invested into Waymarking, we appreciate it

If anyone else experiences this problem, be sure to log out of your account and back in, and maybe also close your browser and reopen it. 

bootron

21 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes. Now you'll have to wait your turn if you want to edit it too.

By chance are you missing the very small  message at the top of the page asking you multiple times to provide a reason? 

Is that mean that you can view this waymark without the error message ?

First of all, thank you so much for finally doing something about the Waymarking website. Kudos.

I have a problem with the coordinates.
If I enter part of the coordinates e.g. the North N 51 1.133 and want to view the Eastern on Google Earth and switch from Google Earth back to the Waymark then the coordinates keep jumping to N 51° 00.000′ E 1° 07.980′ and I have to re-enter entirely.
I first have to write the entire coordinates on a piece of paper and enter them all at once, which is not convenient and very tedious.
Also if I enter N 51 1.133 and not yet the East coordinates and I click on the Title to change something they also suddenly jump to N 51° 00.000′ E 1° 07.980′.
Is this a BUG or is it just me ;-)
Grtz & thx, John.

IMG20230520123456 (Middel).jpg

IMG20230520123531 (Middel).jpg

IMG20230520123543 (Middel).jpg

Edited by dreamhummie

First, thank you for the work on the site!

Today I was trying to post a new Waymark and it won't allow me to get to the "Preview and Submit" page. I keep getting an error message (see screenshot).  Thankfully it did save what I had entered already, but I can't finished and submit it.  

20230520_070021.jpg

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, jonathanatpsu said:

Today I was trying to post a new Waymark and it won't allow me to get to the "Preview and Submit" page. I keep getting an error message (see screenshot).  Thankfully it did save what I had entered already, but I can't finished and submit it.  

20230520_070021.jpg

Are you still logged in on the "Preview and Submit" page?  Just mentioning.

Sometimes the new page thought I was not logged in to the site. and gave this error.

But this was in the past.

In my case it was a cookie thing and after restarting firefox and logging in again, it was gone.

Edited by dreamhummie

I just found a solution for the coordinates changing if you don't fill them in completely as I posted before.
I never knew this and thus never used it :lol:
In Google Earth put the mouse pointer on the location you want the coordinates from.
Press ctrl shift C and they are linked but N and E are still behind the decimals 51° 1.333' N 11° 14.882' E
Paste them in the line of your waymark and press tab and they (N + E) are automatically converted to N 51° 01.333′ E 11° 14.882′
Super convenient. :)

3 hours ago, jonathanatpsu said:

20230520_070021.jpg

There is a good likelihood that this is the same date issue that I listed above. Hopefully I'll have this fixed for you later today. It would be helpful to know which category you were trying to post to, in case it is something different.

Thanks,

bootron

3 hours ago, bootron said:

There is a good likelihood that this is the same date issue that I listed above. Hopefully I'll have this fixed for you later today. It would be helpful to know which category you were trying to post to, in case it is something different.

Thanks,

bootron

The category is Roman Catholic Churches. I just checked and it is now allowing me to get to the Preview and Submit page. Thanks!

21 hours ago, bootron said:

If you see any issues with this release, please post anything you find into this thread. I'll be watching throughout the weekend and will be available to make any changes (or roll back) if need be. 

Enjoy!

bootron

Well, there seem to be some more changes in the background:

There may be other issues, I have not found yet.

Yours,

Erik.

23 minutes ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Yours,

Erik.

To correct the error page, you need to change date format here : https://www.Waymarking.com/settings/preferences.aspx  dd/mm/YYYY to mm/dd/YYYY

7 minutes ago, Alfouine said:

To correct the error page, you need to change date format here : https://www.Waymarking.com/settings/preferences.aspx  dd/mm/YYYY to mm/dd/YYYY

I investigated a little bit. The ones not working are those with visits. And if I change the date format form Germany (dd.mm.YYYY) to mm/dd/YYYY it works.

Same applies to the page with the category grid: if I have a different date format I get an error message and additionally the listbox grows with each try by four entries. See image:

image.png.6ad6261495447a66b809b80c5acaa45a.png

5 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Yours,

Erik.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at these and see if anything can be worked out. I don't think I did anything to specifically change the login rules on those pages, but maybe it got tripped somehow.

Screenshot_20230520-214511.thumb.png.25d5a116e234bb2549d260f6de26887c.pngI'm having trouble getting a new waymark created as it keeps sending me a message that I need to enter coordinates. I have entered coordinates, several times, and checked to make sure there's no formatting issues. As soon as I tried to save the waymark it deletes the coordinates and tells me I must enter coordinates. I can't figure out anything I'm doing wrong but that's the message I'm getting.

Edited by Max and 99

When you see this waymark : https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm18321_Celos_humor_crimen_organizado_y_Semana_Santa_en_el_ciclo_El_espritu_de_la_colmena_Mlaga_Espaa

You have "When was the article reported?: Not listed"

But when you edit the waymark, the date is filled with : 1/25/2023

I have the same problem with all date fields in a lot of categories

Edited by Alfouine
Add
  • Surprised 1
19 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Yours,

Erik.

Confirmed that these are real issues, working on a fix for them. 

bootron

20 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

• I also had to notice that the approval date in the listing page is missing

I have also verified that this is not a piece of information that we had listed on the waymark details page prior to my recent updates. It is very often the same date as the date posted and clutters up the page. You can see approval dates in waymark lists on the category page. It's up for debate as to whether it's better to show the date posted or the date approved on the waymark details page. 

3 hours ago, bootron said:

I have also verified that this is not a piece of information that we had listed on the waymark details page prior to my recent updates. It is very often the same date as the date posted and clutters up the page. You can see approval dates in waymark lists on the category page. It's up for debate as to whether it's better to show the date posted or the date approved on the waymark details page. 

Good point! However, I feel that "Approval Date" is of greater importance only to those concerned with how prompt specific officers/categories are in their approvals, which, for the most part, I'm not. I know that my Waymarks will eventually be addressed, and so lose little to no sleep over them.

When I view a Waymark, whether it be mine or that of another, I'm almost universally concerned with "Date Posted".

Keith

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The site will not let me edit the coordinates of an unfinished waymark. It looks like it goes through, but then the message said you did not make any changes, and the coordinates are not changed.

I'm guessing that Bootron may have missed this, allowing a "change" to only be considered when it occurs in specific fields, but Not including coordinates fields.

This has been a shortcoming in the past, as well, if I recall.

Keith

So I've made a few more updates to the site this morning. I believe quite a few things in this thread have been addressed. Also, I think I've fixed the log date bug in this release. :)

* Log Date now goes off the date you enter
* Waymark date formats should be working again (still may be a few spots that I've missed, but keeping an eye out for them)
* Should be able to view waymarks and category pages without being logged in
* Stats dates should work properly again

Still trying to reproduce Max and 99's issue, so far I haven't been able to do so. 

Thanks,

bootron

• Helpful 2

It's probably just me!

I can consistently reproduce this bug in the free book exchange category. It was working fine in other categories. I just tried to create a waymark in the book crossing category and got the same error message. 

So it has something to do with books! 😁

Bootron:  When trying to change the dates of my visits to reflect the dates on my photos, I cannot add the 3 letter abbreviation for the month. I can change days and year, but not month.  It is a huge pain tghe clock back in time many years in some cases. T

Thank you for addressing this visit date issue -- wow this is going to be awesome :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
1 hour ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Bootron:  When trying to change the dates of my visits to reflect the dates on my photos, I cannot add the 3 letter abbreviation for the month. I can change days and year, but not month.  It is a huge pain tghe clock back in time many years in some cases. T

Thank you for addressing this visit date issue -- wow this is going to be awesome :)

What kind of date format do you have here ? 

1 hour ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Won't have much time to look at this today, but when I break free I will take a closer look and see if I can make it work for you with that format. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, bootron said:

* Log Date now goes off the date you enter

This is awesome and very timely. I just got back from a trip and have a bunch of Waymarks to log, so this will greatly save time by not having to go back in and edit the date on each one. Thanks for this and the other fixes!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I'm a bit unsure on that one, since I didn't have to use the feature in the past, but might have to use it in the near future:

I just got some visits of a new waymarker on two of my waymarks in Dresden and he just sent a single "." as the log text and no picture to proof his visit. So I wrote him that I expect at least a proof that he was at the place in form of a picture - or that I have to delete the log entry otherwise.

But looking at the waymark listing I didn't find a button or link to delete / archive the according log entry. Also no button on the log entry

So my question is: Was there a button / link in the past to remove a log for the waymark owner? If yes, did it vanish during the update?

• Surprised 1
28 minutes ago, FamilieFrohne said:

So my question is: Was there a button / link in the past to remove a log for the waymark owner? If yes, did it vanish during the update?

I'm still seeing this option. I checked to see if I could delete the Snowdog's visit to my waymark today and the option is available. 

Screenshot_20230524-060618.png

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for the information. As I said, I didn't need the feature until yet and was not sure if I missed something. But after your confirmation that it still is available, I cleared my browser cache first and then took a closer look at the buttons beside the visit log.

So I found the possibility to delete a log is hidden behind the "Edit Visit/Comment" button: 

image.png.41afb395655578abd3356d75a3ba1501.png

Thanks again for guiding me ...