Create/Find an Unpublished cache using phone app

frex3wv

I am going to do a "geocaching 101" session with folks from my church to get them interested in the hobby, and the plan was to have them come to my property to learn and practice finding a few unpublished caches.

I know how to accomplish this using my handheld GPS - BUT.......... MOST people will use the phone app.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish what I am setting out to do above?

Thanks in advance.

24 minutes ago, frex3wv said:

Simply pass them the coordinates sets, that they can enter as a Waypoint on the official app, by instance.

They just need to choose any cache already in the map and then add Waypoints there using "My Waypoints".

I'd suggest that in advance, you set up a device or two with pre-loaded waypoints, and have everyone team up and go hunt test caches.  Not necessarily "unpublished caches", but a handful of example waypoints set up in close proximity for the event, with reasonably complete printouts of example cache info.  Because if you require everyone to sign up, download Apps and set up their own phone, the event will be doing a lot of technical work on some finicky phones (including phones that don't even have suitable capability).  Instead of getting people interested.

The phone App can accept a waypoint.  So set up a phone to view any existing cache, then add the test cache waypoints.  Give everyone printed pages of the "unpublished caches", or just a typed list of caches that are set up just as examples to hunt.  Provide a phone or two to share.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
41 minutes ago, frex3wv said:

I am going to do a "geocaching 101" session with folks from my church to get them interested in the hobby, and the plan was to have them come to my property to learn and practice finding a few unpublished caches.

I know how to accomplish this using my handheld GPS - BUT.......... MOST people will use the phone app.

When I've introduced people to geocaching, I have never had them create a geocaching.com account or install an app (any app). As kunarion pointed out, that's a lot of finicky technical work, and it's more productive to introduce them to the "finding tupperware in the woods" part of geocaching.

41 minutes ago, frex3wv said:

When I've taught one-hour classes on geocaching (usually, but not exclusively, to kids at church), I've spent the first half of the class explaining geocaching with as many hands-on examples as possible. Then I've taken everyone outside to a nearby spot where I've hidden a bunch of varied containers, and I've had them raise their hands when they've spotted a hidden container.

In the class, I start by explaining that geocaching is like a modern scavenger hunt or game of hide the thimble, using GPS coordinates to show roughly where the container is hidden. (I specifically avoid the term "treasure hunt" because that gives people the wrong idea about what geocaching is.) To demystify GPS, I have three colored strings/ropes hanging from the ceiling. I explain that the GPS device (whether built into a phone or a separate handheld device) measures the precise distance from it to a GPS satellite. I grab one string and show that with one satellite, it defines a circle. Then I grab a second string and show that two satellites define two points, the places where the two circles intersect. I grab the third string and show that three satellites define a single point... except that there's another point "up there" so you have to assume I'm on the ground and not "up there". All this takes just a few minutes.

The bulk of the explanation part is explaining and showing them different containers (sizes, types, camouflage), different trade items ("Trade up, trade even, or don't trade."), and different trackables (and that they are NOT trade items). I also explain difficulty and terrain ratings, and I briefly explain that most caches are traditional (a container at the GPS coordinates), but that some are more complicated (multi-caches, puzzles, etc.). By then, it's time to go outside to look for hidden containers.

I generally try to have at least one hidden container per kid. If you don't have enough real cache containers, then any recycled jars/bottles covered in camo tape will do. Before the class, I hide them in an area where there are plenty of bushes, trees, and other landscaping features. Vary the hiding spots, and make a few of them really hard. I have the kids stay behind a line and raise their hands when they've spotted a hidden container. I try to call on everyone once before I call on anyone a second time. It's important to have a count of the number of containers hidden, and the number of containers spotted so far. As we get to the end, I let the kids know how many containers are left to find. If we run out of time, then I reveal the ones they missed.

The other style of class that I've helped with has met at a trailhead parking lot in a county park. After a brief "chalk talk" explaining the basics (pretty much the same way I described above, without the colored strings/ropes to explain GPS), the new geocachers break up into small groups, with one experienced geocacher assigned to each group as a coach. Each group receives a preprogrammed GPS with real caches hidden along the trail. We used a popular trail that had become naturally saturated with a variety of caches placed by different owners (what we called a "power trail" before the advent of modern numbers trails like the ET Highway trail). Over the course of 2-3 hours, the new geocachers could find an assortment of different caches and be back at the trailhead in time for lunch. The experienced coach in each group was there mainly to answer questions, and to make sure there wasn't any confusion about trackables or replacing the cache as found or things like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 5
3 hours ago, niraD said:

When I've introduced people to geocaching, I have never had them create a geocaching.com account or install an app (any app).

Yep, the few we took out used one of our preloaded GPSrs while with us and that's it. 

This was an introduction to the hobby and asking someone to be a "member" before knowing if they'd like it, we thought was silly.

- Numerous new folks in these forums asking about picking a "member" name for themself, then find it's already taken with a no finds/hides account, should show that...  :)

All that we took under wing used their real names on the cache log, and it was simple to explain guidelines n stuff while actually doing it.

• Helpful 2