First CITO-event in Finland

Captain Morgan

Very good idea to clean a part of Nässynranta area, there seemed to be quite good collection of used items there icon_smile.gif Unfortunately I can't make it on Thursday icon_frown.gif

Every now and then I have been planning a CITO event that would be held in the middle of the city center here in the capital area, most likely in Helsinki. That would give the hobby some visibility on the streets. It would however require (well...) that all who join the event would have a common CITO suit (No idea, maybe a black trash bag suit with self painted text about geocaching...). Well, I'm not sure if this is a good idea at all. However, if someone is interested, we could join forces.

Sari

I just wonder how often you are ready to clean the streets of Helsinki: every day, every week, every month, every year ?

If your answer is once a year, I dont think this hobby needs that kind of visibility. It would really look elitist and stupid.

CITO-event is a great idea but lets concentrate on environment that is not that regularly taken care of.

quote:
Originally posted by kalman:

I just wonder how often you are ready to clean the streets of Helsinki: every day, every week, every month, every year ?

If your answer is once a year, I dont think this hobby needs that kind of visibility. It would really look elitist and stupid.

CITO-event is a great idea but lets concentrate on environment that is not that regularly taken care of.

Well, as I see it, a CITO event is an event, where people go, they have a task to do, for example to clean a park (that are not so clean as one would think, they are not all regularly and thoroughly cleaned) and then they can go home. I don't think you have to do it weekly or monthly, at least I'm not ready to organize a whole event so often. However, it is one way to show that you have at least once during your geocaching career thought of nature and the surroundings. Even in the city, on the streets.

I believe that it does not matter whether a CITO event is held in the city or in the countryside. It's the same thing. It's a short project with a target, and if you think it looks stupid, nobody can help it icon_rolleyes.gif

If you think a city CITO event would be somehow more elitist than others, I really have to disagree. A city CITO is not something that only favors the most rich or powerful people within a group or a society, there is the aim to get the trash out. And everybody can enjoy the clean park, at least for a while.

A city CITO is not any more elitist than the Geocaching hobby itself.

Sari icon_smile.gif

I think that the idea of city cleaning in uniforms is a good one and would surely bring positive publicity. icon_smile.gif Also many other organizations are calling up such one-time cleaning events in towns and I really haven't ever got the idea that it would be snobbish. So, if there was such an event in the capital area, I'd be glad to join, if my schedule permits.

I guess some more active cachers are yet needed to organize such an event here in Turku...

I am sorry if someone finds my opinion irritating.

The main target here still seems to be to get as much publicity as possible, the idea of cleaning nature can be forgotten if someone notices us.

What about cleaning natural park in middle of nowhere, that is not so interesting ?

My point was that if you really want to take more care of the nature go somewhere else than to city centre.

My 2 Eurocents.

First of all, CITO is generally a superb idea. Collecting trash wherever you find it can't be wrong, be it in the middle of a city or in the middle of nowhere. The voluntary trash collecting events are not rare in the cities. For example, some dog owners have hosted events for collecting dog droppings from certain parks here in Tampere.

That said, I've noticed I tend to practise CITO more in rural areas, in woods, outskirts of cities etc than in the center of cities. The way I figure it, city parks are already taken care of publicly (some better some worse), but those forest paths are publicly cleaned very seldom, if at all. That way a CITO event is basically 'more useful' in a place there's no public maintenance.

But like I first said, CITO is good thing to practise anywhere. And if publicity is one of the goals, city is probably better place to do it, unless you get a reporter to come with you.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by Jyrki&Sari:

quote:
Originally posted by kalman:

The main target here still seems to be to get as much publicity as possible, the idea of cleaning nature can be forgotten if someone notices us.

If you clean an area and by doing that get publicity it's something you should avoid, IMHO.

Sari icon_smile.gif

If you clean an area and by doing that get publicity it's NOT something you should avoid, IMHO. One important word was missing here.

Anyway, it's good that a CITO event itself gets positive feedback almost everywhere.

Like Divine said, CITO is a superb idea.

I think that in most cases the publicity of CITO events is positive. It is however possible that some people get impression that cleaning parks in uniforms is affected posing.

The way how CITO event is organized propably influences what kind publicity it gets, (if any).

kalman, kertoisitko mielipiteesi selvällä suomenkielellä. Kiinnostaa kuulla.

PekkaR

Thanks for everyone who participated the event! Cleaning took about 45 minutes and we managed to collect 4 big bags of trash. Only 1 regular size plastic container was left under a swinging stone icon_wink.gif. Most of the trash was clearly left there by fishermen. But the most interesting things we found were curling tongs and beach mattress. (Oh, and Erwast happened to find a frosted bottle of fresh beer from the coordinates given to him icon_biggrin.gif .)

The beach of Nässynranta, also called as the beach of Tapatoranlahti, is now a nice place for all outdoors people. There's two fire places, so take matches and sausage with you, when you visit there next time.

I will add the photos tomorrow to cache page.

P.S. It was really nice to meet Erwast for the first time and naturally it was nice to meet all others once again!

70242_5900.gif