What's in a cache?

PekkaR

In many cache descriptions is specified what goodies are initially in the box.

OK, that may work as an advertisement to get people interested in a new cache. But that information becomes obsolete in quite short time.

I don't care twopence what was in a cache last year or the year before last. Do you?

PekkaR

Edited by Tahu Nuva

Good point, I too have been thinking about that. Although I have listed the cache contents on my own report pages. Listing the contents can be considered a polite gesture for example caching families, who have kids with them. Kids love the stuff inside the caches. I guess. I don't have any.icon_biggrin.gif

If the hider definitely wants to mention the initial contents, maybe (s)he could just log a note about it. It would be visible only before the first five or so visits, after which you have to click on the view all logs -link to be able to find it. And the owner can even delete it once it becomes obsolete.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

On the other hand, i think it's interesting to see what items the cache owner has originally placed in the cache so you can compare it to items you find from the box. I have noticed in several caches that the total value of items have degraded, but also that in some caches total value has rised.

The list of initial items serves also as an example for new geocachers of what they can place in their first cache. When i made my very first caches, i browsed through many cache pages too see what kind of stuff there has been on caches.

70242_5900.gif

[This message was edited by Captain_Morgan&Family on August 20, 2003 at 01:43 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Erwast:

To me there is no value listing the initial contents but for family cachers it is nice to know if there is something your kids may be interested in.

This is more than true. We have small kids and it's very nice to know if there is something for our boys in the cache box. If there's nothing, i may search the cache solo or then i have to take something extra in my geocahing bag that i can give to boys if there's no nice treasure in the box.

70242_5900.gif

It is useful and interesting to know the current content of the cache, not initial content. Obsolete information may cause dissappointments to kids and even to parents.

It's OK if owner updates cache description so that information is up to date. But it is a hard job. Visitors may list the goodies, but logs are then boring store catalogues.

Great feelings in geocaching are the joy of finding and then excitement: what's in the cache. I think kids feel so too.

PekkaR

I think it's just ok, if the cache contents remain a surprise. Updating the info is a quite laborous. And I would also assume, that the kids could like it this way too (I don't have a child, but I've been one :D) Of course the contents then may be also a disappointment, but that's life...

I used to have the contents on the cache pages, but stopped adding them to the newer and also removed from the old ones, as they didn't seem to serve any function in the long run.

Usually when going caching, I have with myself some tradables of different values to prepare for different values of the contents. But quite often I just boringly TNLN.