Subscription Geocaching...

rediguana

I must admit that I though about it for a day, and decided that I agreed with cliffy (a reply in one of the US forums) that anything that got me off my couch, out of the house, and into the wild had to be a good thing, and something I don't mind contributing to. I would hate to see Jeremy close up shop, and geocaching.com disappear, and while geocaching.co.nz could be developed, we would loose the forums and input from the US players (the US forums at times are pretty funny, and very contrasting with geocaching in NZ) It's just a pity that we get paid in NZ$, where US$30 = NZ$66 icon_frown.gif

Opps, better go to work now, else I am going to be late, and that $66 might turn into a problem icon_biggrin.gif

Nick.

I must admit that I though about it for a day, and decided that I agreed with cliffy (a reply in one of the US forums) that anything that got me off my couch, out of the house, and into the wild had to be a good thing, and something I don't mind contributing to. I would hate to see Jeremy close up shop, and geocaching.com disappear, and while geocaching.co.nz could be developed, we would loose the forums and input from the US players (the US forums at times are pretty funny, and very contrasting with geocaching in NZ) It's just a pity that we get paid in NZ$, where US$30 = NZ$66 icon_frown.gif

Opps, better go to work now, else I am going to be late, and that $66 might turn into a problem icon_biggrin.gif

Nick.

$66 icon_eek.gif Like rediguana I'll need some time to digest the pro's and con's. I definately can't be critical of Jeremy for wanting to charge for the site, just would have liked to see the charge a bit smaller.

I'm not sure icon_confused.gif what's wrong with banner ad's if they are kept small and don't pop up. It's not that different to a newspaper or magazine.

$66 icon_eek.gif Like rediguana I'll need some time to digest the pro's and con's. I definately can't be critical of Jeremy for wanting to charge for the site, just would have liked to see the charge a bit smaller.

I'm not sure icon_confused.gif what's wrong with banner ad's if they are kept small and don't pop up. It's not that different to a newspaper or magazine.

I really don't think that there are any pro's or con's for us in New Zealand... I can't see myself planting any "Member Only" caches, we don't have enough caches in NZ without restricting them to members (and hey, I have only planted one icon_wink.gif ) and I really don't mind going and checking the forums, rather than them being delivered to me. So I guess that I view paying as just a way of saying "thanks" to Jeremy.

(But I will agree that NZ$66 is a pretty big "thanks", and if it was only me who went geocaching, I would have second thoughts, but as it is both Bernadette and I who go geocaching, $33 each is not too bad - especially when compared to the amount we spend on petrol to get to the caches... the road trip South this weekend will use more than $33 to visit some of Donovans caches icon_smile.gif )

Nick

I really don't think that there are any pro's or con's for us in New Zealand... I can't see myself planting any "Member Only" caches, we don't have enough caches in NZ without restricting them to members (and hey, I have only planted one icon_wink.gif ) and I really don't mind going and checking the forums, rather than them being delivered to me. So I guess that I view paying as just a way of saying "thanks" to Jeremy.

(But I will agree that NZ$66 is a pretty big "thanks", and if it was only me who went geocaching, I would have second thoughts, but as it is both Bernadette and I who go geocaching, $33 each is not too bad - especially when compared to the amount we spend on petrol to get to the caches... the road trip South this weekend will use more than $33 to visit some of Donovans caches icon_smile.gif )

Nick

Well, I've thought it over for a day...

I've decided that Jeremy really does need the money to continue running the geocaching site.

He really has painted himself into a corner in funding his site. He has previously promised that the site will never become user pays and that he will never use third party banner ads or popups. So, I understand that this is the only realistic option left to him. It's a pity more people didn't donate money through Amazon while we had the chance.

However, the subscription charge of more than $66 NZ seems a bit on the high side (that's half a weeks income for me!; around $30 NZ would be better). Maybe Jeremy dosen't expect many members to upgrade. Either way, I am treating it as a one off donation for now. I really don't care for Member Only caches and the like.

With the money comes added accountability for how it is spent. Most clubs provide their members with an annual finacial statement sowing exactly how it was spent. Jeremy will need to do this too.

As with others, I would rather not foster the them and us mentality, so removing the Charter Member label would be a good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by BigNick:

...the road trip South this weekend will use more than $33 to visit some of Donovans caches icon_smile.gif..

Good point. BTW, enjoy your trip. icon_wink.gif

Oh yeah, with that in mind, I have spent many hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars putting together, hiding, and maintaining my 30 or so caches. Is that not contribution enough to the sport? Maybe I should get a free year of subscription and those with many finds and none hidden can pay instead this time?

Oh well, that's enough ranting for now. icon_smile.gif What does everyone else think?

Cheers,

Donovan.

Well, I've thought it over for a day...

I've decided that Jeremy really does need the money to continue running the geocaching site.

He really has painted himself into a corner in funding his site. He has previously promised that the site will never become user pays and that he will never use third party banner ads or popups. So, I understand that this is the only realistic option left to him. It's a pity more people didn't donate money through Amazon while we had the chance.

However, the subscription charge of more than $66 NZ seems a bit on the high side (that's half a weeks income for me!; around $30 NZ would be better). Maybe Jeremy dosen't expect many members to upgrade. Either way, I am treating it as a one off donation for now. I really don't care for Member Only caches and the like.

With the money comes added accountability for how it is spent. Most clubs provide their members with an annual finacial statement sowing exactly how it was spent. Jeremy will need to do this too.

As with others, I would rather not foster the them and us mentality, so removing the Charter Member label would be a good idea.

quote:

...the road trip South this weekend will use more than $33 to visit some of Donovans caches icon_smile.gif..

Good point. BTW, enjoy your trip. icon_wink.gif

Oh yeah, with that in mind, I have spent many hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars putting together, hiding, and maintaining my 30 or so caches. Is that not contribution enough to the sport? Maybe I should get a free year of subscription and those with many finds and none hidden can pay instead this time?

Oh well, that's enough ranting for now. icon_smile.gif What does everyone else think?

Cheers,

Donovan.

Well, let me start by saying thanks Gav for making me and others aware of this change?

Now a light flaming for Jeremy (don't take it the wrong way though, continue reading), I was dissapointed that I wasn't informed of this change by an e-mail or posting by Jeremy himself.

However, am I mistaken or has this change not actually taken place yet? If you got to the Geocaching website like any new comer would, it doesn't appear to actually give them the option of subscribing at the moment. Perhaps Jeremy is testing this at getting the bugs ironed out now before implementing the change and someone has leaked the change and we are reacting to a change that hasn't taken place yet. All I know is that Jeremy has been remarkably quiet through all these postings.

Ok, my opinion, It would be foolish to expect Jeremy to continue the Geocaching website as it is without some reasonable income to do so, the fact that the site has got as big as it is now with him working part time on it and financed with his own money supplemented with sales of T-shirts, travel bugs etc and donations is amazing in my opinion. I think we all actually owe the man a huge debt of gratitude. The reality, it costs money to run websites, and this site must cost a small fortune already and it's still growing. I have no problem with becoming a member, and the US$30 or approx NZ$66 is only a very small cost of Geocaching. I like others agree that non-members should not be discriminated against in public. Yes they don't get the warm and fuzzy features, but don't hide caches from them and don't publicly humiliate them for not being members. I personally will not make any of my caches members only, and will probably parallel log them on another Geocaching website such as Geocachingworldwide.

For the moment, lets just wait a little while. Unless Jeremy has already issued a statement that indicates all I've said is misinformed, lets wait until he does. If someone has seen such a statement, please post a link to it in here so that I can go and read it, and anyone else who wants to can as well.

The NZ$66 is only a small drop in the amount of money I've spent Geocaching so far. It's not that big a deal. But I think the paying member/non-paying member being publicly displayed is negative for the sport and would like that to be addressed. Whatever changes occur, it is paramount that newcomers be able to see and post findings of caches to ensure the continuation of our sport.

Sorry it might seem a bit more than my 2c worth but it's a big change, and Jeremy just seems far too quiet for my liking.

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

I made a posting in this forum, but as it contained certain words it needs to be authourised by a moderator. Hmm, I am a moderator! Gav! did you get that one or has it gone to a higher authority? icon_rolleyes.gif

The moderator settings in these new forums are quite different than the old ones and I haven't yet updated all the moderators yet. I should have the moderator settings fix in the next day or two.

-Elias

quote:

I made a posting in this forum, but as it contained certain words it needs to be authourised by a moderator. Hmm, I am a moderator! Gav! did you get that one or has it gone to a higher authority? icon_rolleyes.gif

The moderator settings in these new forums are quite different than the old ones and I haven't yet updated all the moderators yet. I should have the moderator settings fix in the next day or two.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

I have spent many hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars putting together, hiding, and maintaining my 30 or so caches. Is that not contribution enough to the sport? Maybe I should get a free year of subscription

I imagine you were just kidding...but actually, I think it's a great idea!

So I initiated a poll to see how everyone else feels. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I have spent many hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars putting together, hiding, and maintaining my 30 or so caches. Is that not contribution enough to the sport? Maybe I should get a free year of subscription

I imagine you were just kidding...but actually, I think it's a great idea!

So I initiated a poll to see how everyone else feels. icon_smile.gif

quote:

However, am I mistaken or has this change not actually taken place yet? If you got to the http://www.geocaching.com like any new comer would, it doesn't appear to actually give them the option of subscribing at the moment.

I found it somewhere, but it has now gone... I think it was on "My Cache Page"... it may disappear when you pay, or maybe it has been removed.

quote:
...Jeremy...remarkably quiet through all these postings.

Using the forum search you can search for Jeremy as a poster, and read all his replys

quote:
I like others agree that non-members should not be discriminated against in public.

You can now set the text that appears under your name... "Geocacher" being a non-charter member.

quote:
For the moment, lets just wait a little while. Unless Jeremy has already issued a statement...

Well, it not exactly at statement, but look here

quote:
Whatever changes occur, it is paramount that newcomers be able to see and post findings of caches to ensure the continuation of our sport.

Apparently nothing will change if you are a "Non Charter Member", you just get a couple of extra features when you pay, but reading the forums, it really is to try and prevent the plundering that seems common in the US - which thankfully is not as rife in NZ (In the US people use the geocaching.com site to find caches to plunder... very sad icon_frown.gif )

Nick.

quote:

However, am I mistaken or has this change not actually taken place yet? If you got to the http://www.geocaching.com like any new comer would, it doesn't appear to actually give them the option of subscribing at the moment.

I found it somewhere, but it has now gone... I think it was on "My Cache Page"... it may disappear when you pay, or maybe it has been removed.

quote:
...Jeremy...remarkably quiet through all these postings.

Using the forum search you can search for Jeremy as a poster, and read all his replys

quote:
I like others agree that non-members should not be discriminated against in public.

You can now set the text that appears under your name... "Geocacher" being a non-charter member.

quote:
For the moment, lets just wait a little while. Unless Jeremy has already issued a statement...

Well, it not exactly at statement, but look here

quote:
Whatever changes occur, it is paramount that newcomers be able to see and post findings of caches to ensure the continuation of our sport.

Apparently nothing will change if you are a "Non Charter Member", you just get a couple of extra features when you pay, but reading the forums, it really is to try and prevent the plundering that seems common in the US - which thankfully is not as rife in NZ (In the US people use the geocaching.com site to find caches to plunder... very sad icon_frown.gif )

Nick.

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

...I imagine you were just kidding...but actually, I think it's a great idea!

Yeah, I was kidding. But, it would be nice... icon_smile.gif

In looking at the results of your poll so far, many seem to be opposed to it.

In reality, it might encorage cachers to place more low quality caches, simply to get the free membership.

Thanks, for your feedback Zuckerruebensirup. icon_smile.gif

BTW, It's great that we can now change the Chartered Geocacher label to plain old Geocacher. icon_cool.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

...I imagine you were just kidding...but actually, I think it's a great idea!

Yeah, I was kidding. But, it would be nice... icon_smile.gif

In reality, it might encorage cachers to place more low quality caches, simply to get the free membership.

Thanks, for your feedback Zuckerruebensirup. icon_smile.gif

BTW, It's great that we can now change the Chartered Geocacher label to plain old Geocacher. icon_cool.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

quote:

Yes, I was surprised to see absolutely nobody has thought it was a good idea so far. (I imagine you're right about the number of poor quality caches that would get placed, just for the sake of making a quota. That wouldn't be a good thing.) But, oh well, it was just a thought.

quote:

BTW, It's great that we can now change the Chartered Geocacher label to plain old Geocacher.

Yes, I agree that was a nice change. icon_smile.gif Along with those who've gone back to 'Geocacher', it's been interesting to see the other creative titles people have given themselves.

quote:

Yes, I was surprised to see absolutely nobody has thought it was a good idea so far. (I imagine you're right about the number of poor quality caches that would get placed, just for the sake of making a quota. That wouldn't be a good thing.) But, oh well, it was just a thought.

quote:

BTW, It's great that we can now change the Chartered Geocacher label to plain old Geocacher.

Yes, I agree that was a nice change. icon_smile.gif Along with those who've gone back to 'Geocacher', it's been interesting to see the other creative titles people have given themselves.

Well, I must say I haven't come to a firm position yet, although I am starting to choose. I have done a fair amount of reading of peoples views, and thought it over in my mind. I do have various issues, and until some of these are resolved, I am holding back from paying. I entirely understand that geocaching.com does cost a considerable amount of money to run, and that that is hardly being met now. I fully recognise that Jeremy and others should get paid for the work they do.

Geocaching.com and Groundspeak are commercial ventures, not a sports club or a hobbiest group. Geocaching.com may not ever make money according to Jeremy in posts I've read elsewhere and this could well be true. However, I see geocaching as a hobby, not a commercial gym membership, hence I do not think it is appropriate to operate under a closed commercial status for a recreational activity. I believe a membership would be better served under a sports club style, meeting overheads, AND paying salaries of those involved. Members should be shareholders. It should be run as a non-profit venture. But its not. I don't want to invest time and money to line someone else's pocket potentially. Even if geocaching.com does not make money, it could leverage geocaching to generate profits for Groundspeak in other areas.

Geocaching.com rides a thin line that another favourite site of mine recently has raised a similar issue. For those who don't know it, Slashdot (www.slashdot.org) is a geek news site, who's power lies mostly in the value of the comments posted by vistors of the site. They also introduced subscriptions recently. Much in the same way that the power of geocaching.com lies in the efforts of registered vistors placing geocaches, Slashdot benefits from comments from users. I would hazard a guess that geocachers have spent more on caches cumulatively than has been spent on the geocaching.com web site, both in time and money. Whilst it is important for both of these sites to cover their costs, because it is the members themselves that generate the true value of the site, it is inappropriate to profit from the members efforts. It is primarily this point that is withholding me from paying. (I must note it has been interesting to see the support of Americans for what Jeremy is doing, always supporting the right to 'make a profit' from geocaching, rather than just trying to draw an acceptable salary and cover costs, and not get rich from it. This must be a huge societal difference between Americans and Kiwis.)

I also disagree with the members only caches. If I did decide to pay, I would not place any members-only caches. I have read posts from others who have joined who have stated that all new caches they place will be members-only. This disturbs me. I would be interested to be informed when the first members-only geocache in New Zealand in placed. But also I find the excuse of security weak at the least. If cache plundering is such an issue, then in preservation of the hobby, ALL caches should be afforded this form of protection, not just those who chose to pay for it. This cache differentiation could cause probelms in the future. To guard against this risk, I am looking at multi-listing my caches on a personal home page, and other GPS caching sites.

I have no problems with paying if an open membership and accounting structure was used, but as it is an attempt to profit off many peoples work, I think I am tending towards not paying a subscription.

Time to sit back and watch the show for a bit. In the meantime, I'm waiting for www.minutewar.org to unfold icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

Well, I must say I haven't come to a firm position yet, although I am starting to choose. I have done a fair amount of reading of peoples views, and thought it over in my mind. I do have various issues, and until some of these are resolved, I am holding back from paying. I entirely understand that geocaching.com does cost a considerable amount of money to run, and that that is hardly being met now. I fully recognise that Jeremy and others should get paid for the work they do.

Geocaching.com and Groundspeak are commercial ventures, not a sports club or a hobbiest group. Geocaching.com may not ever make money according to Jeremy in posts I've read elsewhere and this could well be true. However, I see geocaching as a hobby, not a commercial gym membership, hence I do not think it is appropriate to operate under a closed commercial status for a recreational activity. I believe a membership would be better served under a sports club style, meeting overheads, AND paying salaries of those involved. Members should be shareholders. It should be run as a non-profit venture. But its not. I don't want to invest time and money to line someone else's pocket potentially. Even if geocaching.com does not make money, it could leverage geocaching to generate profits for Groundspeak in other areas.

Geocaching.com rides a thin line that another favourite site of mine recently has raised a similar issue. For those who don't know it, Slashdot (www.slashdot.org) is a geek news site, who's power lies mostly in the value of the comments posted by vistors of the site. They also introduced subscriptions recently. Much in the same way that the power of geocaching.com lies in the efforts of registered vistors placing geocaches, Slashdot benefits from comments from users. I would hazard a guess that geocachers have spent more on caches cumulatively than has been spent on the geocaching.com web site, both in time and money. Whilst it is important for both of these sites to cover their costs, because it is the members themselves that generate the true value of the site, it is inappropriate to profit from the members efforts. It is primarily this point that is withholding me from paying. (I must note it has been interesting to see the support of Americans for what Jeremy is doing, always supporting the right to 'make a profit' from geocaching, rather than just trying to draw an acceptable salary and cover costs, and not get rich from it. This must be a huge societal difference between Americans and Kiwis.)

I also disagree with the members only caches. If I did decide to pay, I would not place any members-only caches. I have read posts from others who have joined who have stated that all new caches they place will be members-only. This disturbs me. I would be interested to be informed when the first members-only geocache in New Zealand in placed. But also I find the excuse of security weak at the least. If cache plundering is such an issue, then in preservation of the hobby, ALL caches should be afforded this form of protection, not just those who chose to pay for it. This cache differentiation could cause probelms in the future. To guard against this risk, I am looking at multi-listing my caches on a personal home page, and other GPS caching sites.

I have no problems with paying if an open membership and accounting structure was used, but as it is an attempt to profit off many peoples work, I think I am tending towards not paying a subscription.

Time to sit back and watch the show for a bit. In the meantime, I'm waiting for www.minutewar.org to unfold icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

Geocaching.com and Groundspeak are commercial ventures....It should be run as a non-profit venture. But its not. I don't want to invest time and money to line someone else's pocket potentially...

Yeah, that was my primary concern when I first read about subscriptions. I hope this is resolved soon. That is, if we are to have subscriptions, they should be limited in cost so that they just cover the annual cost of maintaining geocaching.com.

quote:

Slashdot....also introduced subscriptions recently....it is inappropriate to profit from the members efforts....it has been interesting to see the support of Americans for what Jeremy is doing, always supporting the right to 'make a profit' from geocaching, rather than just trying to draw an acceptable salary and cover costs, and not get rich from it. This must be a huge societal difference between Americans and Kiwis.)

I agree, it must be a cultural difference. Making a profit from geocaching.com does not sit well with me either. icon_frown.gif

quote:

I also disagree with the members only caches....I have read posts from others who have joined who have stated that all new caches they place will be members-only. This disturbs me....I find the excuse of security weak at the least....ALL caches should be afforded this form of protection.

Members only caches are not needed in New Zealand. As far as I know we have had little trouble with caches being plundered by other geocachers, I can't say the same for members of the general public or animals, however. icon_wink.gif

quote:

As I mentioned above, I agree. But, I decided to pay the subscription as a one time donation, simply to give Jeremy the money to continue maintaining geocaching.com. That said, we will need to see how it is spent before we consider paying next year.

Cheers,

Donovan

quote:

Geocaching.com and Groundspeak are commercial ventures....It should be run as a non-profit venture. But its not. I don't want to invest time and money to line someone else's pocket potentially...

Yeah, that was my primary concern when I first read about subscriptions. I hope this is resolved soon. That is, if we are to have subscriptions, they should be limited in cost so that they just cover the annual cost of maintaining geocaching.com.

quote:

Slashdot....also introduced subscriptions recently....it is inappropriate to profit from the members efforts....it has been interesting to see the support of Americans for what Jeremy is doing, always supporting the right to 'make a profit' from geocaching, rather than just trying to draw an acceptable salary and cover costs, and not get rich from it. This must be a huge societal difference between Americans and Kiwis.)

I agree, it must be a cultural difference. Making a profit from geocaching.com does not sit well with me either. icon_frown.gif

quote:

I also disagree with the members only caches....I have read posts from others who have joined who have stated that all new caches they place will be members-only. This disturbs me....I find the excuse of security weak at the least....ALL caches should be afforded this form of protection.

Members only caches are not needed in New Zealand. As far as I know we have had little trouble with caches being plundered by other geocachers, I can't say the same for members of the general public or animals, however. icon_wink.gif

quote:

As I mentioned above, I agree. But, I decided to pay the subscription as a one time donation, simply to give Jeremy the money to continue maintaining geocaching.com. That said, we will need to see how it is spent before we consider paying next year.

Cheers,

Donovan

Well, I've gone and done it. It'll be interesting to see just what the charge to my credit card will be. As an interesting point, this Pal Pay system or whatever allows me to refer friends, then if they sign up, I get a $5 credit on my account (now where's that e-mail address listing of Geocachers in NZ). I don't know how keen I am on that scheme! And no Charter Member for this kid, I set mine to my daughters favourite referal to my new leisure activities using the GPS and Internet, I've called myself a "Geosport Idiot ;o)". It's so good to go to the sites and automaticly log in (YAY!). Otherwise I can't say I've really noticed much difference.

Gotta say though, I reckon Jeremy should turn Geocaching.com into a non-profit organisation allowing incorporated societies etc in other countries, states etc. It would be nice to see some democratic process and financial accountability to it's members.

In any case, like I said earlier, I have no problem financially assisting with the running of Geocaching.com In fact I have already. But it's the financial situation of the company I wonder about, as in who owns it etc. It would be nice if it was a non-profit organisation of some kind. Jeremy made statements earlier that I hope he lives up to. The fact he might have set up Geocaching.com as a venture capital type business and now be about to make heaps of money of us members without us knowing it doesn't exactly sit well. The fact he is being so quiet, without giving any facts and figures (let alone any audited figures) adds to my uneasiness. Hmm I wonder how the laws pertain to this situation over there? In NZ he certainly would be accountable to his "members".

Oh well, It'll be interesting to look at this posting and see my Geosport Idiot ;o) comment by my nickname. I also have noticed that if I look at my profile from my cache page on Geocaching.com as others supposably see it, then it shows me as a charter member since October 2001 even though I don't want people to know I'm one of those! (Yes I know I'm telling everyone in here that I am, but hey what the hell) Lets hope Jeremy sorts that little quirk out soon.

Enough rambling, It's a beautiful day outside, I might have an overhang this morning, but it's self inflicted, no mercy, things to do, places to be. I need to find out if my Vanishing River Cache was in fact plundered today, and if so relocate a replacement in a better hiding place. Enjoy everyone, Always icon_biggrin.gif

Well, I've gone and done it. It'll be interesting to see just what the charge to my credit card will be. As an interesting point, this Pal Pay system or whatever allows me to refer friends, then if they sign up, I get a $5 credit on my account (now where's that e-mail address listing of Geocachers in NZ). I don't know how keen I am on that scheme! And no Charter Member for this kid, I set mine to my daughters favourite referal to my new leisure activities using the GPS and Internet, I've called myself a "Geosport Idiot ;o)". It's so good to go to the sites and automaticly log in (YAY!). Otherwise I can't say I've really noticed much difference.

Gotta say though, I reckon Jeremy should turn Geocaching.com into a non-profit organisation allowing incorporated societies etc in other countries, states etc. It would be nice to see some democratic process and financial accountability to it's members.

In any case, like I said earlier, I have no problem financially assisting with the running of Geocaching.com In fact I have already. But it's the financial situation of the company I wonder about, as in who owns it etc. It would be nice if it was a non-profit organisation of some kind. Jeremy made statements earlier that I hope he lives up to. The fact he might have set up Geocaching.com as a venture capital type business and now be about to make heaps of money of us members without us knowing it doesn't exactly sit well. The fact he is being so quiet, without giving any facts and figures (let alone any audited figures) adds to my uneasiness. Hmm I wonder how the laws pertain to this situation over there? In NZ he certainly would be accountable to his "members".

Oh well, It'll be interesting to look at this posting and see my Geosport Idiot ;o) comment by my nickname. I also have noticed that if I look at my profile from my cache page on Geocaching.com as others supposably see it, then it shows me as a charter member since October 2001 even though I don't want people to know I'm one of those! (Yes I know I'm telling everyone in here that I am, but hey what the hell) Lets hope Jeremy sorts that little quirk out soon.

Enough rambling, It's a beautiful day outside, I might have an overhang this morning, but it's self inflicted, no mercy, things to do, places to be. I need to find out if my Vanishing River Cache was in fact plundered today, and if so relocate a replacement in a better hiding place. Enjoy everyone, Always icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
noticed that if I look at my profile from my cache page on Geocaching.com as others supposably see it, then it shows me as a charter member since October 2001 even though I don't want people to know I'm one of those!

But only a charter member can change the "Charter Member" tag... so by not putting "Geocacher" you are of course saying that you are a Charter Member if you get my drift..... icon_wink.gif

(Oh the weekend did cost lots more than $33... in fact if you add the temuka pottery costs, more than $66 icon_smile.gif )

Nick

quote:
noticed that if I look at my profile from my cache page on Geocaching.com as others supposably see it, then it shows me as a charter member since October 2001 even though I don't want people to know I'm one of those!

But only a charter member can change the "Charter Member" tag... so by not putting "Geocacher" you are of course saying that you are a Charter Member if you get my drift..... icon_wink.gif

(Oh the weekend did cost lots more than $33... in fact if you add the temuka pottery costs, more than $66 icon_smile.gif )

Nick

quote:

Oh the weekend did cost lots more than $33... in fact if you add the temuka pottery costs, more than $66 icon_smile.gif

Glad to see you enjoyed my caches (although one of them is the worse for wear after meeting you icon_wink.gif). I hope you get a chance to come all of the way down to Dunedin next time. I have plenty more for you guys to find. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

quote:

Oh the weekend did cost lots more than $33... in fact if you add the temuka pottery costs, more than $66 icon_smile.gif

Glad to see you enjoyed my caches (although one of them is the worse for wear after meeting you icon_wink.gif). I hope you get a chance to come all of the way down to Dunedin next time. I have plenty more for you guys to find. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

quote:

one of them is the worse for wear after meeting you

Yes, sorry about that... the cache got it's revenge, as Bernadette (being a nurse) suspects that she will end up loosing the fingernail that was crushed icon_eek.gif I have plans for a new cache container after seeing the area... do you mind if I change the style of the container? When I have contructed it I will email you a photo before using it icon_wink.gif

quote:
I hope you get a chance to come all of the way down to Dunedin next time. I have plenty more for you guys to find.

We will be down when we drop the new cache container off for 2 days, and we do have a road trip cache holiday planned for June, so hopefully we will get some of yours and Gav's that are a bit more off the beaten track icon_wink.gif

Nick.

quote:

one of them is the worse for wear after meeting you

Yes, sorry about that... the cache got it's revenge, as Bernadette (being a nurse) suspects that she will end up loosing the fingernail that was crushed icon_eek.gif I have plans for a new cache container after seeing the area... do you mind if I change the style of the container? When I have contructed it I will email you a photo before using it icon_wink.gif

quote:
I hope you get a chance to come all of the way down to Dunedin next time. I have plenty more for you guys to find.

We will be down when we drop the new cache container off for 2 days, and we do have a road trip cache holiday planned for June, so hopefully we will get some of yours and Gav's that are a bit more off the beaten track icon_wink.gif

Nick.

quote:

....Bernadette...suspects that she will end up loosing the fingernail....do you mind if I change the style of the container?

Sorry to hear about that. As long as the container is big enough and waterproof, knock yourself out. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

quote:

....Bernadette...suspects that she will end up loosing the fingernail....do you mind if I change the style of the container?

Sorry to hear about that. As long as the container is big enough and waterproof, knock yourself out. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.