Topo Maps for Beginner...

AidanMcCarthy

Hi everyone

We use Topomap Pro Lite and have wondered for a while if we should move up or change. It seems a big price hike to the full product. From what I can see Tumonz is much the same price as our Lite. Is it similar, better, different?

I know you have all discussed these things before but I am still not sure of the pros and cons.

Thanks

Iris

Sallies

quote:
Originally posted by Sallies:

Hi everyone

We use Topomap Pro Lite and have wondered for a while if we should move up or change. It seems a big price hike to the full product. From what I can see Tumonz is much the same price as our Lite. Is it similar, better, different?

I know you have all discussed these things before but I am still not sure of the pros and cons.

I think the only con with Tumonz is the fact that the only way to get waypoints into it is to enter them manually, or upload to your GPS with something like EasyGPS then download them to Tumonz - neither is very good. Entering them manually takes time, while upload and download only gives you the names used in the GPS (6 chars in the eTrex basic case).

The only other thing is that Tumonz does want a pretty grunty machine to run smoothly (especially if you want the 3d views) - other than that, Tumonz is a fantastic product.

Cheers

Nick.

I use Polymedia's NZMapped (GPS version). I upload and download waypoints, tracks etc to/from the gps. I normally enter up all cache waypoints manually into NZMapped as it is much easier to type with a keyboard than use those fiddly gps buttons, and with the goto button it allows me to see the whereabouts of the cache. I then just clear all waypoints from my gps and then upload a new set of all the waypoints from NZMapped. Very simple. I also transfer to/from Easygps and NZMapped using the gps as the go between. NZMapped also permits printing at any scale though below 1:16000 it gets a bit pixely, as would be expected from a scanned map image.