Groundspeak Charter Membership Heads Up

tgsnoopy

As pointed out by Nick in gps.org.nz's forum:

"For anyone who is a charter member at Geocaching.com and joined up to support the site soon after memberships were announced, you might want to check your Palpay details to ensure that if you selected the repeatable yearly payment option, that your credit card details are still valid, as I had my membership canceled due to the credit card being expired icon_frown.gif"

It's unfortunate that most NZ Geocachers will probably only ever use Paypal for paying their geocaching.com subscription, hence it can easily end up with an out of date expiry date or in my case a change of bank also meant a closed account.

As paypal doesn't contact you at all to say it's going to be doing a payment, the first you know of it, is after it either completes successfully or fails. When it fails paypal kindly informs geocaching.com who automaticly turn off the charter membership, as from their perspective you no longer subscribe (which is quite understandable, and no doubt is automated).

Hopefully only Nick and I will be the only ones affected by this as everyone else will heed the heads up and check their paypal account details.

I've already contacted Jeremy (geocaching.com) and asked nicely that if possibly could he organise a grace period and a message to us (I have no idea if it will be possible, but if I don't ask, we won't get it if it is). I've also contacted Paypal expressing my concern that they a). Didn't contact us at the expiry date of our credit cards to get us to update them, and :D. Don't advise us in advance of payments that are about to be made from our paypal account.

I'd suggest others affected by this also contact Paypal and express their concerns.

Happy caching everyone icon_biggrin.gif