Meeting other Waymarkers

I recently met Silverquill at a local geocache event in Southern California. It was great to finally meet him and catch up on all things Waymarking! After our interaction, I wondered if anyone has met other waymarkers (either by chance or planned)? I also met DonMorfe while I was in Baltimore a few months ago and I enjoyed learning about his travels across the US.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Smurffaaja said:

I have only met some Finnish waymarkers that do visit Waymarks and only few who have done waymarks.

I have sent messages to many waymarkers that I would like to meet in person, but no answers.

We really should have meeting on some geocaching Mega!

I'll be volunteering at a mega event in Los Angeles next weekend :)

There are no active waymarkers within a couple of hundred kilometers from home and I know them all. :rolleyes:

But I met GT.US about twelve years ago. She was on the way from Slovenia to France, if I remember correctly, and it was a very short meeting. She did not find a free and legal parking spot in the area and was quite in a hurry to move on before the police arrived.

12 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

I met pmaupin at the Mega GIFF in 2021, after I saw his signature on another event earlier that day and we had a good talk.

Well, Erik, I just have to assume that either you're vastly more fluent in French than am I, OR that Phil is fluent in German and has neglected to mention that to me.:D

A second thought is that Phil may have had his handy-dandy phone-translator with him, which is equally likely. For us, that turned out to be an indispensable thing to have on board when certain things just couldn't be properly and effectively expressed through Fractured French, sign language and desperate hand gestures.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1

If anybody ever finds their way to Rhode Island, please feel free to reach out. It may be the smallest state, but that makes for easy travel -- from one end to the other will cover city, rural, and ocean shore locations in about an hour! Providence, the capital,  is very walkable, full of variety and lots of history. Also: Boston, Massachusetts is about an hour's drive (depending on traffic), so that'd potentially be an option for a meet-up, too.

Plus, I've recently reached over 1,000 Waymarks here -- in more than 350 categories...I've found lots of good stuff to visit in the Ocean State!

Happy to play tour guide,

Jason/401Photos

On 5/3/2023 at 9:34 AM, ScroogieII said:

Well, Erik, I just have to assume that either you're vastly more fluent in French than am I, OR that Phil is fluent in German and has neglected to mention that to me.:D

A second thought is that Phil may have had his handy-dandy phone-translator with him, which is equally likely. For us, that turned out to be an indispensable thing to have on board when certain things just couldn't be properly and effectively expressed through Fractured French, sign language and desperate hand gestures.

Keith

Nope - my knowledge of the French Language can be reduced to "Bonjour. Douze croissants et deux baguettes, s'il vous plaît. Au revoir." (Good morning. Twelve croissants and two baguettes, please. Goodbye.).

When I met Phil we both talked in fractured English and with hands and feet ...

• Funny 3
  • Love 1
On 5/10/2023 at 2:52 PM, The Snowdog said:

It has been a while but about five years ago down in Texas there was the "First Ever Waymarkers Gathering" (GC7HX8J) and I met several other waymarkers there. 

Have there been any other Waymarking-specific events since? 

As the Host for that Event, I can share the problems that I had getting it published.

Mega Event related side Events have priority. I had to wait until the minimum 2-week Publish limit until I could get the Event approved. By then it had been pushed to 4:00 pm on Sunday. Many folks had to drive home on Sunday to be at their jobs on Monday.

The nice thing about the Event was the location was within a 4-square block area with over 100 Waymarks to visit.

I also had a Waymarking Booth set up all day during the Mega Event. Several Waymarkers took the opportunity to sit and discuss their favorite subject. I may have done better by having a set time to meet at the booth. Maybe Noon for a lunch get together.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1