meanings

peem

I've been watching a cache that I dnf a month ago which had another dnf after me. It has since been found so I went back to it but once again I came up empty.

I looked at the profile of the finder and they joined geocaching last year but have never visited.  Bit silly I know but what does that mean?

Also in their log it just says JJMS, again does that have any meaning?

Hard to say what they meant, arbitrary letters do not mean anything to anyone but the writer. I think "Never visited, indicates they never visited the profile page where you saw the date they joined. They may be active otherwise.

Trying to figure what the letters stand for though; "Just Joined My Second"? Is that their user name?

33 minutes ago, peem said:

I looked at the profile of the finder and they joined geocaching last year but have never visited.  Bit silly I know but what does that mean?

This is an "app only user."  They geocache using one of the official apps for smartphones, but have never visited the Geocaching.com website.

• Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, peem said:

Also in their log it just says JJMS, again does that have any meaning?

James Jordan Middle School?

or John Jay Middle School?
or Jebseng & Jessen Marketing In Singapore?
or Juvenile Justice Management System?
or Jordan Journal of Mathematics and Statistics?

or...

Yeah, maybe ask the geocacher who used it? Although app-only geocachers aren't known for responding to email or Groundspeak's message center.

• Funny 1

It has since been found so I went back to it but once again I came up empty.

New users, especially app only users, dont realise that you should post DNF if you dont find the cache. To them, just being where the app says 'you are here' means they have found it! They may be unaware of DNF, or Write Note logs. (Or even Needs Maintenance)

• Helpful 3
20 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

New users, especially app only users, dont realise that you should post DNF if you dont find the cache. To them, just being where the app says 'you are here' means they have found it! They may be unaware of DNF, or Write Note logs. (Or even Needs Maintenance)

You could be right. There were three dnf's before the finder and now there is another dnf. I've never used the app so I didn't know about that.