This June, we’re updating our pricing for new subscribers

This information was shared today on the Geocaching Blog. We are sending a similar message to Premium and Basic members who are subscribed to our marketing emails.

Here at Geocaching HQ, we have worked hard to maintain our original Geocaching Premium pricing for more than 21 years, despite significant cost increases. We are updating our pricing so that we can continue to deliver a high level of service to the global geocaching community while also rewarding current Premium members for their ongoing loyalty and support.

On June 6, 2023, we will increase the prices of Premium membership for new subscribers to $39.99 USD per year or $6.99 USD per month. Pricing may vary in other currencies. This change will not affect existing Premium members so long as their membership does not lapse.

If you would like to take advantage of our current prices, please upgrade to Geocaching Premium by June 6, 2023. 

For more information, please visit our frequently asked questions page.

Thank you for being a part of the Geocaching community.

• Upvote 4
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, matzoo70 said:

Why was the annual payment for the premium membership switched to the monthly payment method in this context?

You're based out of Germany which requires that annual subscription be automatically switched to monthly at the end of the first year. This is per EU regulations since December 2021 and has nothing to do with this price increase.

You should've received an email about that notifying you that'd happend and how to return to your annual membership.

Edited by Bl4ckH4wkGER
  • Surprised 2
  • Helpful 4
1 hour ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

You're based out of Germany which requires that annual subscription be automatically switched to monthly at the end of the first year. This is per EU regulations since December 2021 and has nothing to do with this price increase.

You should've received an email about that notifying you that'd happen and how to return to your annual membership.

After reading this, I checked my account. Same here, a change from yearly to monthly. Without any information or email notifying this.

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, PiratencrewDK said:

After reading this, I checked my account. Same here, a change from yearly to monthly. Without any information or email notifying this.

Same here, no email or notification.😡

How can I change this back to one annual payment?

20230420_212933.jpg

And I'm based IN Germany.

Edited by werla
Forgot something
  • Upvote 2

40€/$ feels pricey when converted to my local currency but I get the increasing costs. Recently even mobile operators/ISP subscriptions started going up, when the opposite was always the rule (or at least you's expect the value to be more next year for the same money). 

Freezing the fee for current premium users is a nice touch.

• Upvote 5

Hides >>>Jempi25_mp
6 adv labs and more than 165 hides in the 6 years

Elevation membership fee for new ones!

High costs etc!

My idea is, why for active geocaches placers, price reduction?

For example, if you let the basic members pay a little bit, then you still have income!

Why charge the premiums?

Geocaching weakened in our region, Tongeren - Liège!

I myself am an active co, until a while ago.

We also need money, for ink, printer, paper and petlings!

And the time for maintenance etc.

Destruction and stealing caches!

When are you going to reward us?

I think that co,s should be rewarded!

Many geocachers like to search and criticize, but never hide a cache?

I have a feeling that geocaching is dying?

Still in our place!

Motivating is the best method, with reduced membership fees, or even free for active co,s!

Edited by jempi25_mp
  • Funny 3
  • Surprised 3
On 4/21/2023 at 5:43 AM, Rock Chalk said:

Bl4ckH4wkGER is correct about the FCCA law (in Germany), but memberships purchased prior to March 1, 2022 aren't subject to the change in the autorenewal rules - this message is incorrect and we are in the process of fixing it.

This messsage is still a thing.
I am a subscriber (in Germany) since 2016 and have been converted to monthly payment. No option to revert that.
It also says to check into PayPal to change the subscription, but there is no option either.

Why has this been changed without notice in the first place?
It could have been easily solved with a big message upon re-visiting: "Current legislation requires you to re-opt-in to an annual subscription... etc."

I would not have noticed the change to the way more expensive monthly payment if not for the forum posts.

By the way: I suspect the auto-change to a much higher monthly subscription price without explicit consent not very legal under German FCCA law... since it effectively does the opposite.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, clappy said:

I suspect the auto-change to a much higher monthly subscription price without explicit consent not very legal under German FCCA law.

Of course, a monthly extension with higher contributions without explicit consent does not correspond to German law. And I doubt that it is different in other European countries.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, clappy said:

This messsage is still a thing.
I am a subscriber (in Germany) since 2016 and have been converted to monthly payment. No option to revert that.
It also says to check into PayPal to change the subscription, but there is no option either.

Why has this been changed without notice in the first place?
It could have been easily solved with a big message upon re-visiting: "Current legislation requires you to re-opt-in to an annual subscription... etc."

I would not have noticed the change to the way more expensive monthly payment if not for the forum posts.

By the way: I suspect the auto-change to a much higher monthly subscription price without explicit consent not very legal under German FCCA law... since it effectively does the opposite.

We apologize for the confusion. As of May 1, 2023, the text on your renewal page has now been fixed. Please go to the Membership page to see the updated text. 

• Helpful 1