Not working Garmin 12XL free

kiwitonita

Whilst sealing up an Xl after a memory battery replacement several things went wrong icon_frown.gif while trying to tidy the joint. Now the screen does not go at all - the plastic film that carries the ultra fine conductors to the screen is cracked.

May be reparable with new parts and micro surgery.

Was working perfectly before the sealing botch up.

Free to a fellow kiwi cacher for the cost of postage. icon_smile.gif

Call 03-249-7867 or email savages@ihug.co.nz

I'd like to have a go at fixing it Tony. If I'm unsuccessful I'll fire it to Nick, if I'm successful we'll work a suitable arrangement between ourselves. You can buy a lot of those interconnection strips these days, if you are lucky it will be one thats available. They originally used a peice of rubber that had ver fine wires accross it (which were very easy to damage), these days they use peices of silicon rubber that have conductive strips of rubber up the middle. All is not lost yet.

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

You can buy a lot of those interconnection strips these days, if you are lucky it will be one thats available.

That was my idea too, Neill probably has better connections (excuse the pun icon_biggrin.gif) working in the industry, so if he thinks he can get it going, I'm cool letting him have first crack at it.

Cheers

Nick.

Great - I'll fire it off to Neill - you may need a Garmin part as the hairs' breadth conductors in the plastic foil pass through a small black rectangle - the crack is along the edge of whatever that is. icon_confused.gif

Still, the price is right for a little fiddling about. If it ever get's to go again and you need a well priced external aerial we can get you one when getting more cables.

Cheerio - Tony

This extra bit of plastic sounds interesting. The thing I'm most nervous about is trying to put it back together afterwards, all my efforts with silicon rubber in the past have been pretty messy icon_redface.gif.

I suppose if worst comes to worst it could be parts for repairing Gavins 12XL. Speaking of which, I wonder where he dissapeared to this weekend, More importantly, I hope he enjoyed himself.

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

I suppose if worst comes to worst it could be parts for repairing Gavins 12XL.

My thoughts exactly - I am going to have to start wearing my tinfoil hat again, this is getting scary! icon_eek.gif

quote:

Speaking of which, I wonder where he dissapeared to this weekend, More importantly, I hope he enjoyed himself.

He is keeping that a secret, my only hint was that it was a country that there is no caches in, and that he was planning another first... I guess we will have to kept an eye on his "hidden" count.

Cheers

Nick

Well, what can I say? I'm already wearing my tinfoil hat in anticipation of the Leonid Meteor shower that peaks in about 2 hours time (J/K icon_wink.gif). I'll be heading off to the same observation point I was at a year ago. Although not as spectacular as in the Northern Hemisphere it should be worth watching. It's unfortunate that we will mist most of the show though, as the peak is before most of the show will be visible to us.

Check these links if you are interested:

NASA - The Truth about the 2002 Leonid Meteor Storm

Wellington Astronomical Society

The NZ medias coverage has been rather inaccurate or non-existant on this event. I just hope it's as good a show as last year. Needless to say my vantage point is high on a hilltop miles away from city lights (yes, it's a radio site I maintain, a solar powered one).

As for Gavins little trip, I was semi conversing with him whilst he was packing and he said surprisingly little, Sounds like Nick knows more than me. All he told me was "Hey i better dash, I've got to pack, leaving for a real holiday first thing in the morning. Can't tell you where i'm going yet, but lets say that I'll be the first person to place a cache there icon_wink.gif in fact I might place a couple hehehe" He never indicated it was in a different country though! The sly dog, another story I look forward to hearing.