National Society Daughters of the American Revolution Monuments and Memorials - A Waymarking.com Category

My Waymarking/Geocaching name is crazy4horses I am a member of National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR). I have been researching DAR markers in Waymarking and have run into the following issues:

·         There is not a category in Waymarking for DAR makers.

·         DAR makers are in over 20 different categories which makes it almost impossible to find existing DAR waymarks.  They do not require the Placed by DAR Chapter name, date marker was placed, or inscription.

·         The State Historical Maker category no longer accepts DAR makers.  As of 11 November 2022, only official state historical markers that have been sponsored by the state of ____ will be accepted. All other markers should be submitted to Signs of History.”

·         The Signs of History category requires “approximately 50 words” in the inscription which excludes most of the DAR markers.  (See Picture Lafayette)  

·         Waymarking does not have exact phrase match capability “Daughter of the American Revolution”. Searching for DAR or D.A.R. finds any word that has those three letters in it.  (See Picture Boundary)

DAR has been placing DAR markers since the early 1900’s which presents us with the opportunities to rediscover these markers that have been ‘lost to history’.  Below are a few examples from just one state.

1.    1922-Texarkana - Campsite of De Soto's Party - Lone Star Chapter

2.    1936-Paris TX-Campsite of Davy Crocket-Joseph Ligon Chapter

3.    1935-San Benito TX -- Cabeza de Vaca Monument - Rio Grande Chapter

4.    1937-Humble TX --Atascocita Trail Marker-Alexander Love Chapter

5.    1950s-Dallas Area TX -Trinity River Crossing-Jane Douglas Chapter

6.    1965-San Antonio TX- Ol'Shavano Settlement Marker-Ol'Shavano Chapter

7.    1967-Victoria Area TS -Presidio La Bahia Marker - Guadalupe Victoria Chapter

DAR places markers and monuments around the world to memorialize people and events throughout American history not just the Revolutionary War.

There are more than 2500 DAR markers and monuments that I have been able to identify from different sources in all 50 states and District of Columbia, Canada, Cuba, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Russia, Spain, St. Eustatius, and United Kingdom. 

(See Picture Dutch)

Based on the numbers, the wide variety, and the global footprint of DAR markers along with the issues that I outline above I have created a new Waymarking Group.

Golden Wheel and new category National Society Daughters of the American Revolution Monuments and Memorials - A Waymarking.com Category
Description: To locate and document all of the NATIONAL SOCIETY DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION Plaques and Monuments.

No. of Members 6

I believe that his new category will be beneficial to the global Waymarking community by providing a voice for DAR markers.

On the advice of 8Nuts MotherGoose I am posting this overview for discussion on the forum before submitting it for Peer Review to get feedback and concerns.

Forum_Boundary.png

Forum_Dutch.png

Forum_Lafayette.jpg

I have a few which have been waiting patiently for this category to come into existence, so I am Totally Behind your going forward with your proposal.

It's about time! Kudos to you for being the one to finally drag DAR Markers into the light of day.

With well over 100,000 photos to sift through, now I just have to remember where I encountered the DAR markers! :wacko:

France, Paris George Washington Equestrian Statue

The statue of George Washington by the American sculptor Daniel Chester French was inaugurated July 3, 1900. It is a bronze statue of Washington on horseback. It was given by NSDAR. The text of the statue reads: "gift of the women of the United States of America in memory of the brotherly help given by France to their fathers in the fight for Independence."

France, Paris  American Cathedral World War II Memorial

In honor of the 50th anniversary of the D-Day invasion in 1994, President General Wayne Blair dedicated a plaque honoring all those who lost their lives in Europe to ensure freedom for mankind during World War II.  There was also a plaque to the 194 American Red Cross members who lost their lives in World War I. 

France, Paris Statue of Benjamin Franklin

The NSDAR placed a stele and a tablet close to the statue. The tablet, first laid in 1983 and more visible, says: "On September 3, 1983, the bicentenial of the Treaties of Paris and Versailles which secured the peace and established the independence of the United States of America, this tablet was offered by the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution as a grateful tribute to the architects of these treaties who dedicated themselves to 'the best of all works – the work of peace' (Benjamin Franklin)".

France, Tilloloy NSDAR Fountain and Waterwork Memorial

"As mark of sympathy for the cruel sufferings of the French people during the Great War and with the wish to prove useful, this fountain and the waterwork restoration of the commune are given to Tilloloy by the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution of the United States of America – August 1921".

France, Picardie Somme American Military Cemetery

"In commemoration of the dedication of the Somme American Military Cemetery Chapel by Mrs. William A. Becker, President General, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, May 30, 1937 – Mrs. Charles K. Kemper, President General, NSDAR, September 20, 1997".

• Helpful 2
11 minutes ago, Crazy4horses said:

France, Paris George Washington Equestrian Statue

The statue of George Washington by the American sculptor Daniel Chester French was inaugurated July 3, 1900. It is a bronze statue of Washington on horseback. It was given by NSDAR. The text of the statue reads: "gift of the women of the United States of America in memory of the brotherly help given by France to their fathers in the fight for Independence."

France, Paris  American Cathedral World War II Memorial

In honor of the 50th anniversary of the D-Day invasion in 1994, President General Wayne Blair dedicated a plaque honoring all those who lost their lives in Europe to ensure freedom for mankind during World War II.  There was also a plaque to the 194 American Red Cross members who lost their lives in World War I. 

France, Paris Statue of Benjamin Franklin

The NSDAR placed a stele and a tablet close to the statue. The tablet, first laid in 1983 and more visible, says: "On September 3, 1983, the bicentenial of the Treaties of Paris and Versailles which secured the peace and established the independence of the United States of America, this tablet was offered by the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution as a grateful tribute to the architects of these treaties who dedicated themselves to 'the best of all works – the work of peace' (Benjamin Franklin)".

France, Tilloloy NSDAR Fountain and Waterwork Memorial

"As mark of sympathy for the cruel sufferings of the French people during the Great War and with the wish to prove useful, this fountain and the waterwork restoration of the commune are given to Tilloloy by the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution of the United States of America – August 1921".

France, Picardie Somme American Military Cemetery

"In commemoration of the dedication of the Somme American Military Cemetery Chapel by Mrs. William A. Becker, President General, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, May 30, 1937 – Mrs. Charles K. Kemper, President General, NSDAR, September 20, 1997".

Thank you very much for all this information, I found 6 others.

I have found that many  Waymarks are listed in more than one category. I have also experienced the difficulty and frustration of searching for an existing Waymark or Category. I was asked if I would be in the group The Golden Wheel and help with this category proposal. I fully support it and believe it would benefit the Waymarking global community and fits into the original mission of Waymarking. 

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

I have  gotten permission from my Local  Chapter NSDAR regent to go forward with this project and she is presenting it to our State NSDAR regent.  I have also been in contact with the national NSDAR with regards to what I am working on.  For the last three months I have done in depth analysis of the current DAR markers that are in Waymarking and  beta testing.  I am prepared to answer any questions on the pros and cons with regards to the categories current and proposed.   

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Also, I'd like to add that this was back in 2011 I think. Sometime around 2017 I tried again to revamp it, but only made it to the forum discussions.

Again, if there is enough community consensus, I'll rework the original idea and invite Crazy4Horses into the original group. But I would also like to point out another reason it didn't pass peer review is that it was too restrictive and mostly only found in the US. That said, since I had this idea, there have been a large influx of international waymarkers and the website as a whole has shifted to be less strict on whether or not something is only found in certain regions. I feel like this one might, just might, be able to get pass peer review after three times. However, I am only willing to re-do this one if everyone can mostly agree this category would be welcomed or needed.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Spain, Madrid Casa de America - Palacio de Linares
Historical Significance:
President General Presely Merritt Wagoner Preserving Peace and Friendship tour to Spain in October 2006 placed a historical marker to honor the memory of Spain's role in the American Revolution.

There is probably more will contact our chapter in Spain.

On 4/17/2023 at 2:02 PM, bluesnote said:

Also, I'd like to add that this was back in 2011 I think. Sometime around 2017 I tried again to revamp it, but only made it to the forum discussions.

Again, if there is enough community consensus, I'll rework the original idea and invite Crazy4Horses into the original group. But I would also like to point out another reason it didn't pass peer review is that it was too restrictive and mostly only found in the US. That said, since I had this idea, there have been a large influx of international waymarkers and the website as a whole has shifted to be less strict on whether or not something is only found in certain regions. I feel like this one might, just might, be able to get pass peer review after three times. However, I am only willing to re-do this one if everyone can mostly agree this category would be welcomed or needed.

What are everyone's thoughts?

If it's all the same to you, I would greatly prefer that Crazy4horses be allowed to proceed with the category, given that she is a member of the National Society [of] Daughters of the American Revolution. As such, It is more than likely that she is better placed to produce a category, and a category proposal, acceptable to the community at large than is yourself.

I understand that you were "First on the Scene", but I feel strongly that, in this particular case, Crazy4horses is the person for the job.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
On 4/17/2023 at 5:10 PM, Crazy4horses said:

Why can't we use what I have created since you dropped this in 2017?

See the above to answer your question. I stand behind your becoming the "mother" of the proposed category.

EDIT:

Stupidly, I had initially assumed the word "father" to be the correct choice of genders here - then had an epiphany ("Daughters of the American Revolution").

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
7 hours ago, Crazy4horses said:

I have  gotten permission from my Local  Chapter NSDAR regent to go forward with this project and she is presenting it to our State NSDAR regent.  I have also been in contact with the national NSDAR with regards to what I am working on.  For the last three months I have done in depth analysis of the current DAR markers that are in Waymarking and  beta testing.  I am prepared to answer any questions on the pros and cons with regards to the categories current and proposed.   

Further evidence in support of my stance!

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

PREEMPTIVE STRIKE:

An obvious objection to the proposed category is/would be redundancy, in that DAR Markers have already been Waymarked in other categories.

Allow me to here state that a Catholic Cathedral will easily fit in a minimum of four categories. It's more likely that 10, 12, or even more may be found for said structures.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I've gotten more than 35 Waymarks and many categories from an Anglican Pro Cathedral.

Wikis are almost wholly redundant, most National Historic Sites will offer several categories; ofttimes, many categories can be squeezed from as pedestrian a site as a Vintage Movie Theatre (see Andreas' post in This Thread). Waymarking is replete with further examples, the remainder of which escape me at the moment as the result of short term memory (lack of, that is :wacko:) issues.

In any event, for a category as worthy as I feel this one to be, the issue of redundancy pales in comparison to its historic value.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Love 1

I did a beta test of adding DAR markers for two states in United States to exciting categories and got bounced around a lot and ended up in categories all over the place.

Lets say that I had to be really creativity to get them to fit in.   I tried to maintain the format that was used for State historical Makers. where I had   Marker Inscription, DAR chapter that placed the marker, and the Date the maker was placed. 

The biggest cons to this method:

1. There is no format rules that guide the individual to put the Inscription, DAR Chapter, and Date.
  2. Waymarking  search engine  does not allow you to search by phrase or specific where you want to search. 

WM17R23  Kalita (Colita) Chief of the Coushatta Indians - Liberty, TX Citizen Memorials
WM17QEV Waymark DAR Centennial Park - Gause, TX Community Commemoration
WM17QEP Waymark Chamizal National Memorial - El Paso, TX   Peace Memorials
WM17QDJ Waymark The Butterfield or California Trail - San Angelo, TX  Wagon Roads and Trails
WM17QDF Waymark Texans Veterans Memorial - Denison, TX Non-Specific Veteran Memorials
WM17Q03 Waymark Transylvania Pioneer College of the West 1793-1829 - Lexington, KY  Universities and Colleges
WM17PB3 Waymark Livingston Trail Head Four Historic Plaques - Livingston, KY Ancient Traces and Roads
WM17P4A Waymark Vancouver’s Fort - Louisa, KY First of its Kind
WM17P2X Waymark Captain William Early Buford - Lancaster. Kentucky U.S. Revolutionary War Memorials
WM17ND5 Waymark One Room School House - Bardstown, KY  Kentucky Historical Markers
WM17NCM Waymark Arrington Wickliffe American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves
WM17N4Q Waymark Trail of Tears Indian Camping Grounds - Hopkinsville, KY Trail of Tears  NOT APPROVED YET
WM17M3T Waymark DAR Lot - Frankfort Cemetery - Frankfort, KY  Worldwide Cemeteries
WM17KZQ Waymark Fort Boonesborough Site - Richmond, KY U.S. National Register of Historic Places

My second BETA test was to see how difficulty it would be to data mine Waymarking for DAR markers by doing a simple search for "Daughters of the American Revolution" and DAR.

I download the result in to GSAK so that I could slice, dice, and sort the results.

2000 waymarks  met the search parameters that  I put in the waymark search engine.

238  out of the 2000  were not DAR markers  because search engine could not handle a  phrase so I got hits on Daughter,  Revolution, and any word that had these three letters in it DAR.

1461  waymarks actual had a picture of the DAR marker.

37      Had DAR in the inscription but there was no picture

104    Had DAR  mention in the description but there was no picture 

30+   Categories

Also as was mention by ScroogieII  lot of duplications because of multiple categories.

Basically to find all the DAR markers in Waymarking it requires what we like to call in IT  "Eyes on Glass".  This is sad  giving the is the year 2023 but I do understand that HQ is no longer doing any improvements and placed Waymarking  in Keep it Running mode.   This means for the us the end user we have to work with what we got. 

My second BETA test was to see how difficulty it would be to data mine Waymarking for DAR markers by doing a simple search for "Daughters of the American Revolution" and DAR.

I download the result in to GSAK so that I could slice, dice, and sort the results.

2000 waymarks  met the search parameters that  I put in the waymark search engine.

238  out of the 2000  were not DAR markers  because search engine could not handle a  phrase so I got hits on Daughter,  Revolution, and any word that had these three letters in it DAR.

1461  waymarks actual had a picture of the DAR marker.

37      Had DAR in the inscription but there was no picture

104    Had DAR  mention in the description but there was no picture 

Also as was mention by ScroogieII  lot of duplications because of multiple categories.  I did some more data mining and was able to identify 471 duplications.

Basically to find all the DAR markers in Waymarking it requires what we like to call in IT  "Eyes on Glass".  This is sad  giving the is the year 2023 but I do understand that HQ is no longer doing any improvements and placed Waymarking  in Keep it Running mode.   This means for the us the end user we have to work with what we got. 

Here is a complete list of all the different categories that I found DAR markers with the number of occurrences.   As you can see there are data points  that differs significantly from others that would need review to determine if they are valid.  They could indicate a casual observation of a DAR marker nearby but unrelated to the actual waymark they are logging. 

Row Labels Sum of COUNT
Abandoned Cemeteries 2
Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries 1
Abraham Lincoln 32
Alabama Historical Markers 1
American Civil War Monuments and Memorials 2
American Guide Series 29
American Revolution Patriot Graves 4
American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves 51
Anchors 1
Ancient Traces and Roads 75
Anglican and Episcopal Churches 2
Arizona Historical Markers 8
Arkansas Historical Markers 4
Battlefields 2
Bell Towers 2
Bells 1
Benjamin Franklin 4
Bookcrossing Zones 1
Border Crossings 2
Botanical Gardens 1
Cairns 1
California Historical Markers 2
Carillon 1
Carriages and Coaches on Permanent Display 1
Churchyard Cemeteries 2
Citizen Memorials 37
Civil Rights Memorials 1
Civil War Discovery Trail Sites 1
Civilian Conservation Corps 2
Coastal Lighthouses 1
Coin-Op Binoculars 1
Colorado Historical Markers 14
Commercial Commemorations 10
Community Commemoration 11
Connecticut Historical Markers 3
Converted Fountains 1
Country Churches 1
Covered Bridges 1
Daniel Boone Trail Markers 2
Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious 2
Dated Buildings and Cornerstones 3
Dead Poets' Society Memorials 1
Dedicated Trees 7
Dixie Highway 1
Donated Engraved Bricks and Pavers 2
Doorways of the World 1
Draw Wells 1
E Clampus Vitus Historical Markers 1
Elevation Signs 1
Equestrian Statues 1
Etched in Stone 8
Exact Replicas 2
Exceptional Trees 1
Fiberglass Horses 1
Figurative Public Sculpture 13
First of its Kind 51
Florida Historical Markers 15
Former Schools 1
Fountains 3
Free Community Book Exchanges 1
Freestanding Arches 3
Frieze Art 1
Gates of Distinction 1
Gazebos 2
George Washington 5
Georgia Historical Markers 19
Ghost Towns 1
Gifts from Other Countries 1
Grave of a Famous Person 8
Great Lines of Earth 1
Hand Operated Water Pumps 1
Hiking and walking trailheads 1
Historic Forts 1
Historic Trees 4
Historical Society Headquarters 1
History Museums 9
Homesteads 4
Human Migration Monuments 13
Idaho Historical Markers 1
Illinois Historical Markers 42
Impact Craters 1
Indiana Historical Markers 2
Iowa Historical Markers 15
Kansas Historical Markers 15
Kentucky Historical Markers 4
Last of its Kind 1
LDS Church History Sites 1
Lewis and Clark Trail 9
Libraries 1
Lincoln Highway 2
Lincoln Highway Markers 1
Lion Statues 1
Lonely Chimneys 1
Louisiana Historical Markers 2
Lucky 7 1
Maine Historical Markers 3
Maritime Monuments and Memorials 2
Maryland Historical Markers 1
Massachusetts Historical Markers 8
Mausoleums 1
Michigan Historical Markers 5
Milestones 5
Military Installations 1
Millstones 5
Minnesota Historical Markers 4
Mississippi Historical Markers 2
Missouri Historical Markers 66
MNSearchers 1
Monopoly in the Real World 1
Montana Historical Markers 1
Municipal Parks and Plazas 2
National Scenic Byways 60
Natural Springs 1
Nebraska Historical Markers 7
Nevada Historical Markers 1
New Hampshire Historical Markers 3
New Jersey Historical Markers 2
New Mexico Historical Markers 1
New York Historical Markers 3
News Article Locations 6
Non-Specific Veteran Memorials 10
North Carolina Historical Markers 7
NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings 23
Obelisks 5
Occupational Monuments 1
Official Local Tourism Attractions 5
Ohio Historical Markers 2
Oklahoma Historical Markers 10
Olmsted Designed Parks 1
One-Room Schoolhouses 1
Oregon Historical Markers 15
Out of Place Graves 5
Outhouses 1
Pennsylvania Historical Markers 4
People-Named Places 5
Permanent World Fair and Expo Structures 2
Philatelic Photographs 2
Photos Then and Now 6
Picture Perfect Postcards 1
Plank Roads 1
Political Revolutions 9
Pony Express Monuments 3
Presbyterian Churches 1
Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins 1
Pre-Victorian Historic Homes 7
Public Land Survey Marks 4
Relief Art Sculptures 4
Religious Freedom 1
Relocated Structures 6
Remains of Settlements 1
Retired Prisons 1
Rhode Island Historical Markers 2
River Origins, Destinations and Confluences 1
Roadside Attractions 8
Route 66 - The Mother Road 1
Satellite Imagery Oddities 1
Scooter Bill 1
Signs of History 81
Smithsonian Art Inventory Sculptures 26
South Carolina Historical Markers 16
South Dakota Historical Markers 3
Spanish-American War Memorials 1
Specific Veteran Memorials 15
Specific Wars Monuments and Memorials 1
Spirit of '76 9
Spring Houses 1
State Park Passport Locations 1
State/Provincial Parks 4
Static Artillery Displays 5
Statues of Historic Figures 12
Sundials 4
Superlatives 11
Tennessee Historical Markers 7
Texas Historical Markers 100
There's a Book About It 3
This Old Church 4
Time Capsules 1
Timelines 2
Trail of Tears 3
Tripoints and Multipoints 1
U.S. 40 - The National Road 13
U.S. Benchmarks 3
U.S. Historic Survey Stones and Monuments 4
U.S. National Register of Historic Places 36
U.S. Post Offices 3
U.S. Revolutionary War Memorials 98
UK Historical Markers 3
Unique Steeples 1
Utah Historical Markers 2
Vermont Historical Markers 1
Veteran Cemeteries 3
Vietnam POW/MIA Monuments 1
Viquesney's Spirit of the Doughboy Statues 2
Virginia Historical Markers 2
Wagon Roads and Trails 142
War and Military Museums 2
War of 1812 8
Washington Historical Markers 7
Watershed Markers and Monuments 1
Weird Story Locations 1
West Virginia Historical Markers 1
Wikipedia Entries 18
World War I Memorials and Monuments 27
World War II Memorials / Monuments 4
Worldwide Cemeteries 14
WWII Prisoner of War Camps 1
Wyoming Historical Markers 1
Zinc Headstones 1
Grand Total 1673

Edited by Crazy4horses
Adding counts to the waymark category

I would like to stress that all this research that I have done and the statistics that I have gathered has taken months. Visually inspecting every individual waymark description and pictures that the Waymarking search engine found.  Testing what it takes to add a DAR marker in waymark.  Cross referencing the DAR makers I found in Waymarking against other sources. 

I am a retired  Top Gun Data Engineer for international outsourcing company so I apology for some of the terms that I used.  "Eyes on Glass"  is a term used for process that has to be done manually and can not be automated.  So what I was trying to say that searching for DAR markers in Waymarking was a very manually intensive process with the results having accuracy issues.  By actually having DAR category we can greatly increase the users experience in adding DAR waymarks and searching for DAR waymarks.   

• Helpful 1

Could you possibly make the name/title a bit longer?? As it is, it's barely a single line in length! :D

Seriously, though, all you need is "Daughters of the American Revolution" - nothing more, nothing less.

The Expanded Description will supply Waymarkers with any further information they seek or need.

Other than grammatical errors, the rest looks serviceable.

One example is:

Waymarking Daughters of the American Revolution Monuments,

Memorials and Plaques worldwide that are permanent and in a

public place where everybody can visit it. - Which should read:

Waymarking Daughters of the American Revolution Monuments,

Memorials and Plaques worldwide that are permanent and in a

public place where everybody can visit them.

Otherwise it's usable as is.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Helpful 2
On 4/19/2023 at 2:15 AM, Crazy4horses said:

ScroogieII  Waymarking not  letting me change the category name I have tried multiple time.

• You have selected a category code that has is already in use for another category.

This is a bit of a Sticky Wicket, isn't it?

It seems that possibly Bluesnote used that exact name for his category proposal years ago. The real  solution would be for him to delete his proposed category, as it appears, to me at least, that now it will never become a viable category.

No, the only related categories I can find, both from 2010 and both by Bluesnote, are:

Daughters & Sons of the American Revolution Historic Sites

Son's of the American Revolution Plaques and Monuments

There shouldn't be a conflict with either of those. HMMMmmmm...

Unless there really is a third one, you may have to resort to our Wayfroggie for help here.

Keith

On 4/17/2023 at 8:17 PM, ScroogieII said:

See the above to answer your question. I stand behind your becoming the "father" of the proposed category.

EDIT:

Stupidly, I had assumed the word "father" to be the correct choice of genders here. Should that not be the case, PLEASE feel free to correct me.

Obviously, there's a 50% chance that I had made a faux pas.

Keith

I'd say 100%, Keith.  I know CFH and she's definitely in DAR and not SAR for a reason - as am I, ha ha  :)  

I also support CFH keeping Leadership (ownership?) of this category - she's worked VERY hard over many months to make this go. 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
On 4/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I'd say 100%, Keith.  I know CFH and she's definitely in DAR and not SAR for a reason - as am I, ha ha  :)  

I also support CFH keeping Leadership (ownership?) of this category - she's worked VERY hard over many months to make this go. 

I know, I know!!! Inability to put reason into play before employing keyboard once again results in embarrassment.

BUT - I'm getting used to it, so I'll prolly live.

And, I've amended that post. (belatedly)

Keith

On 4/18/2023 at 12:53 AM, Crazy4horses said:

Spain, Madrid Casa de America - Palacio de Linares
Historical Significance:
President General Presely Merritt Wagoner Preserving Peace and Friendship tour to Spain in October 2006 placed a historical marker to honor the memory of Spain's role in the American Revolution.

There is probably more will contact our chapter in Spain.

I don't think that you have an example for Austria, do you? BTW: On the webpage Overseas Chapter | Daughters of the American Revolution (dar.org) I tried the link "Vienna" (Austria), but it doesn't work anymore. The correct website is https://daraustria.org/. Also not working is the link "Rochambeau Chapter" (France) on the same page (error 404). This one should go to https://www.darfrance.org/. I haven't checked the other links on that page. :-)