images and mapping

Guest rediguana

Guest rediguana

Well, a natural progression from these threads...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000021.html - about map software

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000034.html - further down, free orthos from linz

... is has anyone had any joy calibrating images, and then plotting waypoints on the top? What software have you used? How is the calibration information stored? Any other relevant and useful info would be great too. I haven't got enough time to play myself right now with last assignments and finals coming up, so I'll have to live vicariously through through here icon_smile.gif

Cheers Gav (wishing for his GPS back to hunt the rumoured first cache in the South Island hehe)

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

has anyone had any joy calibrating images....What software have you used? How is the calibration information stored?

I use MacGPSPro. The calibartion information is stored in the rescource fork of the image (it's a Mac thing icon_wink.gif).

As you probably know, you calibrate the image by clicking on a number of known points on the image and entering their coordinates (the greater number and the more widely spaced the better). As far as I recall you need to tell it what map projection was used used too.

I have used scanned TopoMaps, but they are not all that accurate. You can tell because overlaid tracks don't quite fit in places. I must try those Orthos, that would be cool! icon_biggrin.gif

The HiRes JPEG Orthos are a bit cruddy, so I spent three hours downloading the TIFF version of Dunedin. It's so clear that I can see my house! icon_smile.gif

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

The HiRes JPEG Orthos are a bit cruddy, so I spent three hours downloading the TIFF version of Dunedin. It's so clear that I can see my house!

Yeah the tiffs rock! I have downloaded one so far - northern christchurch - and its pretty darn cool.

I'm hanging out for a software package now that integrates orthos and 260s and allows seemless integration and swapping between the too, and even a split window mode tracking topo in one and ortho in the other. Now all we need is 3d modelling LOL!

Cheers Gav

Ortho Update 276MB - this is slow going icon_wink.gif

quote:

software package now that integrates orthos and 260s....Now all we need is 3d modelling

That would be cool. Maybe they could release it on a set of 4 or 5 DVDs! icon_wink.gif

A guy from Germany has just suggested using MatLab to display 3D tracks. It sounds like a cool idea, I will have to try it out soon. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

quote:

I'm hanging out for a software package now that integrates orthos and 260s and allows seemless integration and swapping between the too, and even a split window mode tracking topo in one and ortho in the other. Now all we need is 3d modelling LOL!

Now that would be cool icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

quote:

A guy from Germany has just suggested using MatLab to display 3D tracks

Hmmm ... at US$2,450.00 for MatLab might be a bit out of my budget icon_frown.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Adman (edited 26 September 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

US$2,450.00 for MatLab might be a bit out of my budget

Yeah, it's a bit difficult to justify the cost. icon_wink.gif I'm lucky, as I can use a copy in my department down at university.

Cheers,

Donovan.

quote:

At this time we have no plans to incorporate the ortho photos into the product.

Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. icon_frown.gif

Well at least it's on the list. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

Hehe, thats cool. And in the meantime I'm up to 2.17Gb downloaded so far off the LINZ ftp site. Have got all the jpgs so far, and have started on the 2000/01 tiffs and working my way backwards. The tiff orthos are sooo cool. I can just imagine little cars and tracking icons going over the maps icon_smile.gif Once I get one of the topo products, I guess it should be reasonably easy to calibrate them using road intersections. Adman, what format does NZ Mapped use for storing waypoints?

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:

Well at least it's on the list.

Hmm, I'm just wondering how hard it would be to include. Basically they'd need

* calibration info

* map projection used (I would almost be guessing it is the same projection as the topos, as the orthos are referenced - a|b|c|d - to the topos)

* low res images

and it wouldn't take up that much extra space on the product. Of course it should have the ability for people to download the high res jpegs or tiffs and have them available for use within the program - that way they don't have to worry about distribution.

Hmm, will have to think about this. Perhaps we should ask both Topomap and NZ Mapped and the virtue of competition may take care of it icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

I have plotted and successfully uploaded and downloaded from my etrex on the othophotos using gps trackmaker can't remember what sort of format they are in, i'll look tomorrow icon_smile.gif

I tried importing a map into Trackmaker and sizing it using two waypoints but it was way off with the track I downloded to it.

quote:
Originally posted by peejay:

...sizing it using two waypoints but it was way off...

try using four or more evenly spaced waypoints. I don't think that two provides enough information to calibrate it in two dimensions.

Cheers,

Donovan. icon_smile.gif

Guest rediguana

quote:

try using four or more evenly spaced waypoints. I don't think that two provides enough information to calibrate it in two dimensions.

I imagine if its anything like most forms of locating, that you require n+1 to calibrate n dimensions. Hence with a GPSR 3 sats are a minimum for 2d locating, and for 3d locating 4 sats are required. I would guess this would be true for calibrating a map, that to calibrate it in two dimension a minimum of 3 points would be required. I plan to go out sometime this weekend and locate 3 points, possibly roundabouts, that are approximately equilateral and attempt to use them to calibrate an image. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Gav

quote:

I imagine...that you require n+1 to calibrate n dimensions...

Yeah, that was my reasoning too. icon_smile.gif I suggested four points just to be on the safe side (just in case their geometry was poor). icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

A tip for calibrating, get 2 points that are a long way apart.

GPSU allows for 3 points, but it doesn't seem to handle the big tiffs as well as Trackmacker icon_frown.gif and doesn't allow for many waypoints.

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Adman (edited 29 September 2001).]

quote:

Adman, what format does NZ Mapped use for storing waypoints?

It looks like their own proprietary format, just with a quick look it seems like it may be fixed length records. I'll have a better look sunday or monday night and let you know

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

>quote:

Adman, what format does NZ Mapped use for storing waypoints?

It has it's own native format plus it exports/imports comma delimited files like this:

$GPWPL,3652.632,S,17445.755,E,gc1be5 - auckland see house*71

$GPWPL,389.410,S,17616.490,E,gc1073 - Rotorua Ramble*12

$GPWPL,3859.288,S,17523.906,E,GC1D22 - Cabbage Tree Cradle*58

$GPWPL,3725.987,S,17544.598,E,gc15f5 - Waitaweta Pipeline*65

$GPWPL,3732.625,S,17545.716,E,gc1482 - 101*46

$GPWPL,380.000,S,17600.000,E,gc49*64

$GPWPL,4120.056,S,17459.276,E,gcdd - orongorongo cache*55

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Guest rediguana

Thanks Adman! Thats good to know. Once uni is out of the way in Nov I intend on building a waypoint db into the geocaching site (see way earlier threads in this forum) and that means it should be quite easy to support multiple different download formats - especially the text files!

Cheers Gav - hanging out for uni to finish icon_wink.gif

Guest rediguana

A little birdy tells me that NZ Mapped GPS has a planned release date of Oct 10 - whether that holds remains to be seen. I'll keep you posted, and no mention of prices at this stage.

Cheers Gav

Guest peejay

Been struggling to get NZ Mapped GPS to work with my Etrex but getting lots of help from them, hope I solve the problem.

Currently I am grabbing maps into Photoshop for tidying up then putting them into Trackmaker, this is working really well. I can load tracks and they align perfectly with the map.

Now if only I could do that directly with NZ Mapped

Guest rediguana

Just received the latest price list, and NZ Mapped DVD GPS has a suggested retail price of $379. An individual island is $199. Should be available soon I guess.

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

in the drive to run the program.

The find function is very good, and operates on th 54k placename database, and the roadname db from the 260 series.

A little, but very cool feature is the ability to hold down shift and paint a line over the map, and see the distance add up in the status bar. This is very handy for approximate distance finding, including curves etc.

The interface is rather simple and tidy, and probably a good 90-95% of the window area is map.

I have spent a bit of time researching and communicating with MapWorld leading up to the purchase, and have found them very responsive and helpful, and they have been appreciative of my many suggestions so far, and I have plenty more to offer now icon_wink.gif Most of my current suggestions are a focus on waypoint management

On the downside, it is not cheap, but when i looked at the numbers and features...

NZMapped is $379 for GPS and 260 series only.

I picked up TopoMapProNZ + AerialMap (when it arrives) for $585 - which is 10% off retail for purchasing the two together. For an extra ~$200, I got all the extra maps including orthos when AerialMap is released in a couple of weeks. No, it's not cheap, but I certainly think it provides more value if you can afford it.

On a side note, I had a brief chat to the owner whilst I was picking the software up, and showed him geocaching.com and told him about it, and broached the subject of promoting geocaching in their store, and they would be interest. So once I've got uni out of the way I'll go back and get some stuff organised.

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 10 October 2001).]

Guest Nemesis

quote:

I just ripped some images....TopoMapProNZ + AerialMap (when it arrives) for $585...

I have seen the location that you ripped somewhere before. icon_wink.gif

It's a lot of money, but I am really tempted. It's a pity they don't make a Mac version however.

Cheers,

Donovan.

quote:
Originally posted by peejay:

NZ Mapped is starting to look rahter good now I have my Etrex working with it!

Great to hear you have it working, I'm now laminating my geocaching maps (I have a laminator at work I can use icon_smile.gif) I print the map on one side and a orthophoto on the other, it's really great for those wet hunts icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Guest rediguana

quote:

Does sound good, but I already own NZ Mapped. Pretty happy with it

Yes, I had up until the point of purchase the benefit of not having committed myself to a package - I am certainly in a different position now icon_smile.gif I've now got waypoints coming out of an access database in a format to load straight into Topomap, and if someone wants to help me out at some stage (by testing files, once exams are over) then I'll do the same for NZ Mapped. I'm looking forward to getting this waypoint db going - should be quite handy.

Cheer Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:

I'm happy to do that

Cool. I'll hold you to that icon_smile.gif

AerialMap arrived today! Installed it and just had a quick play with it. Very very cool. Its nice having the ortho maps, and flicking back and forward with topos and waypoints. It isn't small though. I'm just checking the combined size of maps and orthos for NZ is 6.37 Gb, and nearly 144k files LOL. The orthos aren't the TIFFs, they appear to be the high res JPEGs, or the TIFFs saved as JPEGS. They are pretty good though. Can't wait to take it out and try moving map on an ortho - that will be sweet.

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:

Can't wait to take it out and try moving map on an ortho - that will be sweet.

Tried it this afternoon and it was icon_smile.gif Most most cool switching from topo to ortho, with moving map in the car. At one point I checked the map and there were a few isolated pine trees ahead, drove round the corner and it was deja vu!

I have just sent about 20 suggestions to MapWorld on suggestions that I have been saving up whilst using it over the past wee while. No, its not perfect, but the mapping is pretty fine icon_smile.gif

Cheers Gav

Guest bunkerdave

I'm not from NZ, but you might find this interesting:

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/log/images/96180_800.jpg

This is TopoUSA, which I know is not a lot of help for you folks, but I thought you would find it interesting. It is very simple to use. Just download the track from the GPS, set the zoom level, and click "draw 3D map," and voila! I use Microsoft Paint to convert it to a jpeg, and post from there. The software can also change viewing angles, including rotate the map and increase or decrease viewing elevation. Also does route vertical profiles. One of these is posted at:

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/log/images/96180_700.jpg

These can be a little deceptive, but are nevertheless useful for comparing two or more routes.

The software costs US$50.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

This is TopoUSA... "draw 3D map," and voila!

Wow! That first image is really cool icon_smile.gif I bet it'll be a while before we see something like that here icon_frown.gif

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:

Now that's impressive, I might have to send some more suggestions to NZ Mapped icon_smile.gif

Hehe I've just sent a request to DeLorme (suggest@delorme.com) suggesting that they try and find the New Zealand elevation data icon_smile.gif One can always ask. And the more that ask the better LOL!

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by HunterGatherer:

Is it possible to retrieve a saved track from my eTrex into either of those map programs?

TopoMap takes tracks and plots them, check out the photo here http://rediguana.co.nz/topomap

You'll have to wait for Adam's or peejay's response for NZMapped, but I think the new version does.

I haven't had time to place the demo CD for TopoMap, so if you still want it, email me your postal address and I'll get it to you.

Cheers Gav

Originally posted by HunterGatherer:

Is it possible to retrieve a saved track from my eTrex into either of those map programs?

Sure is. NZMapped handles it very well. It is also possible to plot a track on the map then upload that to your gps. Update for the GPS version of NZMapped just came out this week.

Guest HunterGatherer

I don't have an email address for you red... (bout time we made an email list of all active cachers) but you can have mine.

paid@infantry.com

i'd love a copy of the demo if you've still got it.

[This message has been edited by HunterGatherer (edited 31 October 2001).]

Guest HunterGatherer

Thanx to rediguana i've had a good look at the Topomap Pro demo, and with his permission, you'll see it in an auckland cache before ya know it... also including a Too Hot For TV jerry Springer Video and a Playstation game...

i guess i better make it a hard cache icon_smile.gif

Anyone know of any marine charts for download? NZMapped dont show channel markers etc. I want to plot some harbour movements using GPS Mapmaker but need some decent charts.

Thanks....