Tree cover

tgsnoopy

I just thought it might be prudent to put a quick note in here about tree cover. Some of us have GPS units that are less sensitive than others, I think my little yellow eTrex must be the worst case around, every time I've compared it to someone elses GPS it's performance has left a lot to be desired, But I'm digressing. When taking a GPS reading in an area where the signal from the satellites is obstructed (usually by trees), please take into consideration that the signal you are reading your location off may not be there when someone hunting your cache is there. Signals getting through gaps in floiage cover will come and go as the satellites change position moving through their orbit. It is a good idea to provide good decriptive clues for cache hunters to cater for this eventuality. Some of us are just plain old stubborn and will persist anyway, others won't. Don't be put off a good hiding place because of this, just take it into consideration. I must remember to get a decent GPS one of these days, along with a digital camera. Of course it goes without saying you should consider the safety aspect of where you are hiding your cache as well, remember, the cache planter must accept responsibilty for his cache, have fun everyone icon_smile.gif

As gpsnoopy says the satellites move about constantly and you may not have the best constellation when you are Geocaching. Also note that the (US) DOD is positioning the satellites for best coverage over regions of the world that suits them (no need to elaborate). This means that if you only see three or four birds (satellites) then you know who to blame!

(Tree cover is worst in summer due to absorption).

Andy.

quote:
I think my little yellow eTrex must be the worst case around

Nuh - My Garmin 45X can only track 8 satalites, which gives me less options in the bush.

quote:
Signals getting through gaps in floiage cover will come and go as the satellites change position moving through their orbit.

It's true - when I've hardly had any signal at one time, it's been great at another time. I check the satalite positions display my GPS gives me before I go out bush.

Cheers, M@

Auckland Kayakers Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/auckland-kayakers

I use a garmin 12 with the 4.58 software, I have had no trouble getting coverage in the bush (except if it is really thick). The garmin 12 uses four batteries, the etrex only 2, I reckon it makes a difference. When going into a bushy area put new batteries in.

Another trick is to get gps coverage in the open areas before you walk into the trees, the gps seems to keep the signal going.

I would recommend the garmin 12. icon_biggrin.gif