Caches and Poor Coverage

Guest rediguana

Guest rediguana

circumstances) and only the final tip goes in the hint

That way the accuracy provided should be somewhat similar whether its with new tech (GPSR), old tech (compass), or no tech (old fashioned instructions).

Be interested to hear peoples comments.

Cheers Gav

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

if there is good gps coverage then I will pretty much place just the coordinates and any other info goes in the hints

I like to give enough detail so that a geocacher can get within 100 m or so without a GPS, but not enough so that they could find it with a map and compass (I give compass directions that are really only accurate to +- 30° or so).

You are right, precise directions should be given in the hints (where possible icon_wink.gif).

It is a good idea to describe the size and type of container used too, just so you know what items will fit.

quote:
if there isn't good gps coverage then I will write some more detailed descriptions that should get you within 1-10m of the cache (depending on the circumstances) and only the final tip goes in the hint.

The hint should provide enough detail to find it easily (or at least enough so that you know what you are looking for).

Sometimes there are no good landmarks nearby. For two caches that I placed last year (Botanical Gardens and Unity Park), I had to create my own. I placed large crossed sticks on top of the cache and a small flag nearby (at a given distance and direction from the cache).

Sometimes the GPS accuracy may be terrible and even a hint won't help much (see my Deer Flat cache). In these cases I increase the difficulty to reflect this (to 3.5, I think).

I think it is a good idea to include an estimate of the accuracy of the cache's position in your cache report, then you know how large an area to search.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

if there is good gps coverage then I will pretty much place just the coordinates and any other info goes in the hints

I like to give enough detail so that a geocacher can get within 100 m or so without a GPS, but not enough so that they could find it with a map and compass (I give compass directions that are really only accurate to +- 30° or so).

You are right, precise directions should be given in the hints (where possible icon_wink.gif).

It is a good idea to describe the size and type of container used too, just so you know what items will fit.

quote:
if there isn't good gps coverage then I will write some more detailed descriptions that should get you within 1-10m of the cache (depending on the circumstances) and only the final tip goes in the hint.

The hint should provide enough detail to find it easily (or at least enough so that you know what you are looking for).

Sometimes there are no good landmarks nearby. For two caches that I placed last year (Botanical Gardens and Unity Park), I had to create my own. I placed large crossed sticks on top of the cache and a small flag nearby (at a given distance and direction from the cache).

Sometimes the GPS accuracy may be terrible and even a hint won't help much (see my Deer Flat cache). In these cases I increase the difficulty to reflect this (to 3.5, I think).

I think it is a good idea to include an estimate of the accuracy of the cache's position in your cache report, then you know how large an area to search.

Cheers,

Donovan.