Displaying your phone number

(I swear I do searches before asking a question but I rarely get a return that answers it. Maybe not wording my ask in best way.)

I feel bad when I discover a cacher has reached out to me with a question (email or app message) and I didn't see it. I don't check my email/app that often.

1) Do some cachers put their phone number in their profile so they can be contacted?

2) Is there a reasonably safe way to do that or is it not wise, risky?

I don't want to get spammed or stalked or anything, but I wouldn't mind a text from a cacher needing a little help.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

For me, I go to my phone settings, then the Geocaching App then Notifications. 

Thanks, when I go there on my Android, I see firstly this:

Screenshot_20230324_182355_Settings.jpg.dba14fbacb0ecdc14b14b6cf342de0e0.jpg

When I tap on Notification categories, I get this:

Screenshot_20230324_182414_Settings.jpg.06121b7ae561435ee5d3d88b0cc44393.jpg

It's not immediately obvious whether those annoying notifications about Signal's Labyrinth would be under Messages, the other Messages. Miscellaneous or Default. Clear as mud, huh?

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, PlantAKiss said:

I have yet to find any notifications for the message center. I see just app  "notifications" which has been on. Maybe I need to update the app? I don't use the the GC app. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the replies! 

You can set up a gmail address for geocaching, then use the gmail app to give you notifications when emails arrive.

The nice thing is that you can just reply to geocaching messenger messages by replying to the email you receive.  Of course you can go into the messenger as well.

• Helpful 2

I get such notifications of new messages via gmail but cannot figure how that was set up, if I do I will let you know.You should be able to check for messages on the phone app, on the bottom of the screen ( when using the app) select messages- you  can send and receive.

I do get email notices but I don't check my email that often. However a strictly caching email account might do the trick. I also changed my app notifications to "persistent." Oddly enough, a cacher contacted me just yesterday with a question but I didn't see it until too late. That's what I'm trying to fix. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Not sure if it's still available today but setting up a free Google phone number some 12 years back did the trick for me. Only gave it to geocachers. It was very customizable so I set it to ring both, my cell and home phones. Figured that if it ever got out of hand with spam or too many calls, that I could just disable the ringing to either of the phones. To my surprise, I never had that problem. I lost the Google number after forgetting to renew it? a few years ago.

Edited by Mudfrog
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, Mudfrog said:

Not sure if it's still available today but setting up a free Google phone number some 12 years back did the trick for me. Only gave it to geocachers. It was very customizable so I set it to ring both, my cell and home phones. Figured that if it ever got out of hand with spam or too many calls, that I could just disable the ringing to either of the phones. To my surprise, I never had that problem. I lost the Google number after forgetting to renew it? a few years ago.

Here's an article from last year.  Beware that the word "free" doesn't mean there is no payment required.

2 hours ago, PlantAKiss said:

I do get email notices but I don't check my email that often. However a strictly caching email account might do the trick. I also changed my app notifications to "persistent." Oddly enough, a cacher contacted me just yesterday with a question but I didn't see it until too late. That's what I'm trying to fix. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

If you go to the messaging center on the website on your computer, there is a gear on the top left for Settings - there you can set up email notifications when you receive a message via the message center.  And yes, I have a dedicated email for geocaching (a gmail account with my geo name) and a distinct ringtone/alert sound for any email that comes to that address.  It works well for me!  Especially since gmail acocunts are free and easy to set up.

• Helpful 1
On 3/24/2023 at 5:05 AM, PlantAKiss said:

(I swear I do searches before asking a question but I rarely get a return that answers it. Maybe not wording my ask in best way.)

I feel bad when I discover a cacher has reached out to me with a question (email or app message) and I didn't see it. I don't check my email/app that often.

1) Do some cachers put their phone number in their profile so they can be contacted?

2) Is there a reasonably safe way to do that or is it not wise, risky?

I don't want to get spammed or stalked or anything, but I wouldn't mind a text from a cacher needing a little help.

Thanks!

I have my number in my profile, its been there for ages, predating the message centre I think. I have had a few texts/calls from cachers struggling with a cache, so it hasn't been a problem. Most contact now comes through the message centre, which is fine....

• Helpful 1