hiding a cahe problem

buteo

When I tried too hide a recent cache I was given a notice that it was too close to a existing cache.

When I went to the geocaching map page it doesn't show a cache in that spot.

So how do I find the cache that is supposedly nearby? Is it part of a multi or puzzle?

• Funny 1
18 minutes ago, buteo said:

When I tried too hide a recent cache I was given a notice that it was too close to a existing cache.

So how do I find the cache that is supposedly nearby? Is it part of a multi or puzzle?

There is good advice in the Help Center article Check for minimum distance, especially the last section titled "Ask a reviewer to check coordinates". I've done that in the past before investing time/money in custom camouflage, and the local volunteer reviewers have been most helpful.

I saw your new cache in my review queue at the same time I saw your forum thread.  Your cache is 234 feet from an existing traditional cache, and that's highlighted on the planning map within the cache submission module.  See first screenshot below.  You need to move your cache to the east, so that the green marker is outside the red circle.

The traditional cache does indeed show up on the "geocaching map page," at least for me.  See second screenshot below - the red arrow is pointing at the conflicting cache.  Why can't you see it on your view of the map?  It may be because you are applying filters.  For example, if your map view filters out caches that you've found, this one won't show up.  You found the conflicting cache, hidden as a tribute to you, way back in 2010.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 144908.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-22 145112.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 4
3 hours ago, buteo said:

Sorry saw Keystone's response after commenting so deleted that.

I really wish the whole hiding process was easier. The above issue could easily be avoided by including in the App (I know some folks hate it) but the above information should be easily made available to the future CO at the early stages of hiding in the field. 

Next add support for what you can't see. But I'd start with the App better supporting hidding.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
19 hours ago, MNTA said:

Sorry saw Keystone's response after commenting so deleted that.

I really wish the whole hiding process was easier. The above issue could easily be avoided by including in the App (I know some folks hate it) but the above information should be easily made available to the future CO at the early stages of hiding in the field. 

Next add support for what you can't see. But I'd start with the App better supporting hidding.

Many people want better deconfliction tools for hiding, but no one ever details a good idea that addresses the basic problem, that if GS shows us where everything's hidden, then we'll know where everything's hidden!

How would you suggest it be handled?

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I've suggested that the planning map show:

• Hidden coordinates of mysteries and multis I own
  • Solved coordinates of mysteries and multis where I've entered those, especially for caches I've found where all the other maps revert to the original coordinates

I guess even that is too hard.

Well, those two items are entirely reasonable and I'd like to see them, but those aren't the things we'd want to protect against; there's no threat in those. 

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Many people want better deconfliction tools for hiding, but no one ever details a good idea that addresses the basic problem, that if GS shows us where everything's hidden, then we'll know where everything's hidden!

How would you suggest it be handled?

Here are some thoughts:

1) Cheating happens. Does it hurt me or the CO no. It hurts just the cheater. So why make the rest of the game miserable to avoid cheating. A virtual smiley just like NFTs has no intrinsic value to the player or the world. I have deleted obvious armchair finds, but in general if a new cacher with 10 finds claims a false find on any cache does it hurt me or you no. 

2) I enjoy some puzzle caches. But I pretty much refuse to beg the CO for hints and help getting started. I'll ask if I get close but thats all. How is PAF or begging to solve some of these. These older caches with no checker and the CO no longer active and no finds in years. Nope not going to even try. GS should automatically add checkers to all pages. Sorry to digress.

Now solutions all of these are possibilities and can be refined/changed.

3) In urban areas with dense cache placement. How do you know one circle from the other. Sure you can look at the log and then check all mystery caches within the 2 mile radius. If that floats your boat sure why not. But it goes back to cheating see #1

4) An algorithm could be developed to randomly grow the circle and then randomly change the center so as to obfuscate the actual center. Treat it as a visual notice that a cache is nearby and to check with the reviewer. Again people could theoretically use this to cheat see #1

5) Have cache expiration dates for all new caches. If a CO fails to maintain the caches then after an expiration date X years if no maintenance. This takes care of the caches that languish after the initial set of local cachers have solved and signed from sitting there taking up space on the map but because no one solves these they never go away.At least with traditional caches someone can visit and file a NM log. My ignore list has 10 unsolved & unfound caches the oldest dating back to 2014 and 11 not found in 5 years, 52 not found in 3+ years. One of the unfound ones recently was requested to be archived by a different cacher with this comment:

"I accept that I can't find every cache or solve every puzzle, but this one is essentially unsolvable - no checker and 8 yrs with no finds and an inactive CO"

My point is that improvements to the hiding game should be made. Say I'm on a hike see an amazing spot for a cache. I should be able to quickly get a yes or no. If yes go through the review process. Cheating should not be the reason to not improve things. There is nothing preventing me from logging the 52 caches today, I won't but I could. 
  • Funny 3
  • Surprised 1

I came back to this thread to see if veteran geocacher buteo needed any further help understanding the proximity conflict that I explained in my prior post.  Somehow the conversation has strayed to the tectonic stability of Australia.  I'm closing the thread, but looking forward to assisting buteo directly in the review process for his cache page.  He's one of my best customers!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1