How do I find out how many geocachers are in my state?

K13

How do I find out how many geocachers are in my state? This would be interesting information to be able to use when in discussions with Visitor's Bureau, City or State Personnel, State Parks, etc. 

Is this information tracked? Is it possible to track?

• Upvote 1

This is information that is always a challenge to nail down. There are a variety of ways to try to arrive at a number, but each has its drawbacks. Home coordinate locations are somewhat useful when talking about experienced cachers, but very few newbies (especially those solely using apps) set theirs. The number of accounts logging a find in a given state collects some of those missing accounts, but it also overcounts people who are just temporary visitors. We can also guesstimate using info from our apps that tell us the state in which most of a user's map views are occurring. This of course leaves out people who only use the web or who do their caching with other apps.

In recent years I've settled on using a combination of most of the above. If you are talking Texas, the number of distinct users with a find in the past year is about 45k. Looking at app data, the number of accounts whose searches were primarily in Texas came in at about 54k. So, I would put the number somewhere in that vicinity.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

It might be more useful to tell the land manager what sort of foot traffic they can expect  at the proposed cache. Doing a little research on recently placed caches in the area and adding some for DNFs should be a good source for the estimate.  Citing 5,000 cachers in the region is not as meaningful as stating the cache could get up 10 visitors the first month but that will quickly taper off to one or two visits a month. 

(Numbers used in my post are hypothetical examples.)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3