TopoMapPro vrs NZMapped

BigNick

I am planning on changing from TUMONZ and was wondering if anyone used both TopoMapPro and NZMapped and can comment as to whether the extra money for TopoMapPro is worth it?

Fom the respective websites I can't see a lot of difference (except TopoMapPro has a more normal looking interface icon_wink.gif) - can NZMapped import a list of waypoints in WGS84 format (the website says Northing and Easting, implying NZGD49, is this the case?)

By the looks of it, neither will let you upload tracklogs which is a pity.

I have seen TopoMapPro running on a laptop being used for moving map display - has anyone done this with NZMapped and can comment?

The final question is about zoom - TopoMapPro has all the different maps scanned 1:50000 1:250000 etc I can't tell if this is the case with NZMapped - can you zoom out (eg to see a map of NZ like on Buxley’s geocaching page?)

Cheers

Nick.

I am a NZMapped User

quote:
Originally posted by BigNick:

Can NZMapped import a list of waypoints in WGS84 format (the website says Northing and Easting, implying NZGD49, is this the case?)

Yes It can, not sure how you would import NZGD49 though...despite what the website says...

quote:

I am planning on changing from TUMONZ and was wondering if anyone used both TopoMapPro and NZMapped and can comment as to whether the extra money for TopoMapPro is worth it?

I have only tried the demo of TopoMapPro and couldn't see any huge advantages except the large scale maps and the ability to add orthophotos.

quote:

By the looks of it, neither will let you upload tracklogs which is a pity.

Yes, this is annoying.

quote:

I have seen TopoMapPro running on a laptop being used for moving map display - has anyone done this with NZMapped and can comment?

Yes this works, have tried it in a very limited test. Didn't have any problems.

quote:

The final question is about zoom - TopoMapPro has all the different maps scanned 1:50000 1:250000 etc I can't tell if this is the case with NZMapped - can you zoom out (eg to see a map of NZ like on Buxley’s geocaching page?)

You can zoom out to cover large portions of NZ, but because it only has 1:50000 scanned maps it doesn't end up very practical. It slows down to a crawl and the resulting image isn't that usable. This has never really been a problem for me though as I haven't needed to zoom right out and the larger scale maps are available online for free anyway.

I have used Topomap and nzmapped. They are much of a muchness really.

The topomappro has cool features like aerial photos that are accessed through the map scale drop down box. The idea is that you find the area that interests you in 1:500000 scale then select the aerial photo option. This displays the area as a black and white photo, not all of nz is covered by aerial photo which is a bugger.

nzmapped is better if you are printing out maps as they display grid coordinates around the outside. The topomappro does not, if the area of map you are printing off doesnt have the grid marked on it you wont get it on the printout, this can be a pain if hunting or tramping etc.

I havent done much with the gps data cable so cant comment on that side of it.

the nzmapped program when installed has a good feature. You can mark areas of the map with map tags or shade areas in (ie areas of interest), this can be saved which can be opened up again at a later date.

I wouldnt recomend one over the other as they both have really good features.

Hi Nick,

I've have NZMapped GPS version. Whilst I have not used it with a laptop in the car I understand that it can be used as a moving map. I have loaded all 3 South Island CD's onto my desktop to give seamless coverage of the South Island. It works just great. I don't understand the comment that someone made about not being able to upload tracklogs. I do that all the time with my data cable!

I do have an issue with the NZMapped's latest GPS update of the topo maps (ie LINZ's April? 2002 release). The scanning of these charts is not up to the excellent standard of the original topos. I sent my update back to Polymedia and have since reloaded all my old charts. A chap at Polymedia admitted that the poor quality came as a surprise to him and that he had not been aware of it until I contacted them. Unless they are going to redo the scanning I will stick with my old topos as the quality both on screen and as printed maps is much superior.

quote:
Originally posted by BaldEd:

I don't understand the comment that someone made about not being able to upload tracklogs. I do that all the time with my data cable!

I have been playing with tgsnoopys copy of NZMapped that he has let me borrow. I have not found how to do this - from what I have seen NZMapped refers to getting data from the GPS as uploading, while putting data onto the GPS as downloading (I would have though this should be the other was round...) - so in NZMapped terms, can you draw a track onto the map and then download this to the GPS?

Cheers

Nick.

Well after having a play with both NZMapped and TopoMapPro (thanks tgsnoopy and brentc) I have decided to keep saving for TopoMapPro. The main reason for this is two fold:

1) I am running on a Mac, and as the software is PC only, the performance of TopoMapPro was much better under VirtualPC than NZMapped (though both communicated with the GPS connected via a keyspan USB-Serial adapter with no problem)

2) TopoMapPro uses JPG images to build it's maps, this will allow me to write some software to replicate the TopoMapPro functionality, but running native under MacOSX (this probably violates the licencing for TopoMapPro, but as it will be for private use, hopefully they won't mind) (thanks to swanny for pointing that out, and how the jpg filename and folders relate to the co-ords) This also means that I will be able to implement the functionaly I want (now where was that Garmin interface specifications I downloaded...)

Thanks to everyone who has expressed their opinions on these two pieces of software.

Cheers

Nick.

Hi, althoug I'm based in England I'm hoping to visit NZ again sometime. I'll be bringing my Laptop & GPSr and would be very interested in trying some NZ mapping software.

I have tried various products for The UK, Europe & the USA and if anyone would be interested in learning more or passing on their knowledge etc. I'd love to correspond by e-mail with you.

Cheers, Peter

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
I have tried various products for The UK, Europe & the USA and if anyone would be interested in learning more or passing on their knowledge etc. I'd love to correspond by e-mail with you.

Hi Peter, I have sent an email to the address in your profile.

Talk to you soon,

Cheers

Nick.