Transferring Geocaches I've found from a Garmin Montana to Apple MacIntosh

SM325

Hypothetical situation:

I load a pocket query to my Garmin Montana.  For three days I geocache and mark "Found It" on an enormous number of geocaches each day.  I return home and want an easy way to log all these caches with the correct "found it" date.  This is fairly straight forward for PC users using GSAK.  However, I am an Apple MacIntosh user.  Does anyone know of a way to do this?  I have an app called iCaching, but don't see way do this it.  Thanks in advance!

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

I also prefer to write a more complete log. I do use cut and paste somewhat but try to individualize each log with something about the cache condition, the weather, what improvements I may have made (new log, dried a wet log, etc), or some other observation.  If I am finding a lot in one day it is more difficult to make each log unique but I never write TFTC.

• Upvote 2

I do individual logs for most of my geocaches.  Every now and then we do power trails where we snag 90-200 geocaches in a day.  I don't do individual logs as there really isn't anything interesting to say.  If there is something noteworthy, I go back and edit my log accordingly.

The reason I am asking the questions is a group of us are doing the ET Highway in May.  We will get 2,400 geocaches in five days.  How many caches will we get each day?  I have no way of knowing.  However, if I can press "Found It" on my Garmin Montana then when I get home I will have a file that reflects what caches I got each day.  I can then process a mass logging using the correct date.  The cache owners of this power trail actually prefer a nice log on the first or last cache and then copy/paste logs for all others.

My other alternative is to purchase a cheap laptop and use GSAK.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 3/13/2023 at 4:01 PM, barefootjeff said:

The Garmin produces a file called geocache_visits.txt in its "Garmin" folder. Copy that file to the Mac, use a text editor to trim it down to the date range you want and upload that to the Drafts page on the website.

Thanks barefootjeff!  Exactly what I was looking for!

10 hours ago, peter-tvm said:

If you are ok with a generic lig text on all caches cachetur.no has a function where you can upload the geocache_visits.txt and then add the same text on all caches and let the program log them.

Thanks peter-tvm!  I'll check into this and give it a try.  

On 3/15/2023 at 3:27 AM, peter-tvm said:

If you are ok with a generic lig text on all caches cachetur.no has a function where you can upload the geocache_visits.txt and then add the same text on all caches and let the program log them.

cachetru.no has a limit of 80 caches in a trip.  Do you know if that limitation applies to logging caches?

@SM325 Please keep us updated with your findings. I too am interested in such a feature on an Apple computer. Surprised actually at this point as to why GSAK hasn't built an Apple version yet, maybe the price to run on Apple App Store.

Maybe you can run bootcamp and add Windows to your current machine just for this feature.

also found this:

https://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=36395

Edited by zoobum