Hanseatic league markers and commemmorations

Hi, I recently came across the mural added to this message. It is a dedication to the Hanseatic history of Harderwijk. Many cities in northern Europe proudly display their Hanseatic heritage. Het Hanseatic league was a trading organisation which covered a large part of Northern Europe in the late-Medieval period. Could this be made into a Waymarking category somehow? I'm thinking of city signs like "Hamburg, Hanzestadt", important buildings of the Hanseatic era, commemmorations like the mural I found, Hanseatic weapons and flags, etc.

Info about the Hanseatic league: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League

20220923_130000 v2.jpg

• Love 1

Are there historical markers or signs that discuss and explain Hanseatic heritage? This looks like just a very cool mural to me, which can go into the Murals Category.

Please explain how someone from Texas traveling in Europe would know something they saw along their journey could be waymarked in a possible future Hanseatic Heritage category  :)

Let's talk it over :)

• Helpful 1

I'm thinking maybe a city hall from the late medieval period of one of the Hanseatic cities, that might be the easiest one for a tourist. The city sign with Hanzestad is also obvious, but not easily obtainable for a tourist as It is standing in the outskirts of a city. Maybe an object from a museum or if you are lucky, a sign  with some information of the Hanseatic league. 

Im thinking hard on how this category idea can work for waymarkers outside of Europe, but so far have no great idea on how it will work.

Edited by Becktracker

Well, I think obviously you would have to be IN Europe for this category, which is not an issue.  This is a worldwide game, after all.  

It's a question of WHAT would be waymarked? And how would it be proven to be appropriate in the category? I have never heard of Hanseatic League before today. Learning something new! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League

https://www.coe.int/en/web/cultural-routes/the-hansa

https://www.hanse.org/en

One of those things that 'rings a bell' for here in the UK.

In the West, cities of the Rhineland like Cologne enjoyed trading privileges in Flanders and England.[5] In 1266 King Henry III of England granted the Lübeck and Hamburg Hansa a charter for operations in England, initially causing competition with the Westphalians. But the Cologne Hansa and the Wendish Hansa joined in 1282 to form the Hanseatic colony in London, although they didn't completely merge until the 15th century.There were blockades against Novgorod in 1268 and 1277/1278.[16]: 58–59  Nonetheless Westphalian traders continued to dominate trade on London and also Ipswich and Colchester, while Baltic and Wendish traders concentrated between King's Lynn and Newcastle upon Tyne.[16]: 36  Much of the drive for co-operation came from the fragmented nature of existing territorial governments, which failed to provide security for trade. Over the next 50 years, the merchant Hansa solidified with formal agreements for confederation and co-operation covering the west and east trade routes.

I've watched history programmes that have mentioned "Hanseatic" and have shown buildings from the period that are still in place/in use in the UK (not necessarily in use as was originally intended)...

Not having seen them 'in person' I'm not sure if there is evidence on site to prove the fact.

Like the idea, not sure how it will work.

(I'm interested in the idea, lets see how it works out. Good Luck!)

Although I live near Cologne, I didn't immediately find any buildings or places directly related to the Hanseatic League - admittedly I didn't search hard enough. Apart from the obvious Hanseatic cities in Germany (Hamburg, Bremen, Rostock), the other cities probably won't much advertise their affiliation with the Hanseatic League.

Accordingly, the question arises as to how one wants to present the topic as a Waymarking category without getting too much overlap with other historical categories. I'm curious how things will continue.

Oh Oh! It's Ivo again,  with yet another bizarre, off-the-wall concept he wishes to purvey upon all the gullible and unsuspecting Waymarking consumers!

Whoa!! Just a second here! I've actually heard, if not read, of the Hanseatic League, way back when, when I was a young whippersnapper, eager for knowledge and willing to read (almost) anything recommended by knowledgeable, estimable persons of my acquaintance.

It's time I did some reading, but in the meantime, I have to say that the guy may have a possibility here. I'm not saying he's unearthed a "Slam Dunk" winner here, but, given my predilection for history and historic categories, I immediately found it intriguing.

GO IVO!! - Meantime, I shall attempt to further edify myself.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1

I had a good shower (great thinking time) and I think I have a preliminary list of possible waymarks for this category:

1 Buildings important to the Hanseatic league, and dated (at least partially) from the Hanseatic era

Allowed: City Hall of Wesel, Gdansk harbor crane, trade houses of Bruges

Not Allowed: 19th century city hall of Hamburg, the Kolner Dom (and other churches), city walls and gates, common houses

2 Museums with a permanent exhibition about the Hanseatic League

3 Signs and flags that display 'Hamburg, Hazestadt' or similar. Only one waymark for each sign of flag type.

4 Information signs about the Hanseatic League or history related to the Hanseatic League. If an information sign is attached at an eligable building, the building should be submiited as a waymark and a photo of the sign should be made.

5 Replica's of ships (or the real thing) from the Hanseatic era

6 Monuments commemmorating the Hanseatic League

7 Artwork (sculptures/murals) lagrely inspired by the heritage of the Hanseatic League. The link should be well-visible or included in a present information sign.

Edited by Becktracker
Wrong notion of Hamburg city hall
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, HHL said:

We do have a Town Hall. :ph34r:

But it's much too young compared to town hall of the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", so that modern town hall matches it quite well B)

6 hours ago, Becktracker said:

Not Allowed: .... (and other churches), city walls and gates.

Just for classification: 50% of our team was born and raised in Lübeck, known as the Queen of the Hanseatic League. Both of us are Lübecker Kaufleute (Lübecks Merchantpeople), so we live in, with and from parts of the Hanseatic League.

Churches played a great role at the Hanseatic League as well as the town halls. The most powerfull parts of the  Hanseatic League were the merchants, not the kings, dukes.
They decided what happend in those cities.
Only the clergy had some powers over the merchantmens.

Lets talk about that for a while: The City Council (which was 100% made of merchants, no Kings, no Queens, no Noblesse) had their own church which inhabited the city treasure. So if you want the Hanseatic League, you can't decline the churches.

City Walls and city gates: The Hanseatic League had it's peak times in the closing mediaval times, where  the times where rougher and peace was the exception, so one city had to defend them and their goods, as the City of the Hanseatic League were rich. So city walls and gates were essential for the wealth and so for the groth of the Hanseatic League.

Without walls and gates, there wouldn't have been any Hanseatic League.

Edited by GerandKat
forgot a link
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, Becktracker said:

I had a good shower (great thinking time) and I think I have a preliminary list of possible waymarks for this category:

1 Buildings important to the Hanseatic league, and dated (at least partially) from the Hanseatic era

Allowed: City Hall of Wesel, Gdansk harbor crane, trade houses of Bruges

Not Allowed: modern city hall of Hamburg, the Kolner Dom (and other churches), city walls and gates, common houses

2 Museums with a permanent exhibition about the Hanseatic League

3 Signs and flags that display 'Hamburg, Hazestadt' or similar. Only one waymark for each sign of flag type.

4 Information signs about the Hanseatic League or history related to the Hanseatic League. If an information sign is attached at an eligable building, the building should be submiited as a waymark and a photo of the sign should be made.

5 Replica's of ships (or the real thing) from the Hanseatic era

6 Monuments commemmorating the Hanseatic League

7 Artwork (sculptures/murals) lagrely inspired by the heritage of the Hanseatic League. The link should be well-visible or included in a present information sign.

Why not city walls or gates from the HL time period?

Good to have an in-depth opinion from a team from Lubeck. I think we can use you in the group!

I said no churches or city walls and gates because every late-medieval city had those and a lot of those buildings and structures were preserved. Where do you draw the line between a church in Lubeck like you suggested and any other non-related church that happens to be standing in a Hanze city. Same with city walls, these were late Medieval features not specific to the Hanseatic League.

The goal is to make a category of Hanseatic League related features, not a category of Late-Medieval features..

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Whilst researching the Hanseatic League I came across other tributes to the Hanseatic League and I think we need to consider those. What about modern tributes such as the Hanze University in Groningen, footballclub Hansa Rostock and Lufthansa airways? I think these have nothing to do with the original Hanseatic League but what does the community think?

On 3/16/2023 at 5:23 AM, Becktracker said:

Reviewers will have to check every existing waymark to see if the sign or flag has already been waymarked?

9 hours ago, Becktracker said:

Good point, maybe it's better to state 'no duplicate waymarks of the same sign or flag in a 0,5 m radius'. That way, reviewers only have to check the presented list of possible duplicates.

So, a Waymarker adds to this category, waits until it's accepted,  then adds to the other categories...

(Not that I would do that. :rolleyes: )