Gav, a challenge for you!

Guest tgsnoopy

Guest tgsnoopy

Hi Gav. Have a look at this picture of NZ and it's cache locations!

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/new_zealand.shtml

and then at the Geocaching caches in NZ

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?country_id=9&submit3=GO

Notice Buxley always seems to be nine caches ahead of Geocaching. Would it be hard to use some of your software magic to find these nine, I'm curious as to where they are! I might be missing a cache thats close to me or something. Ta Neill icon_redface.gif)

Neill, don't stress. I was bored, it's raining & we're packed ready to go out tomorrow & I love mysteries.

The reason Buxley's got 9 more is the fact that caches that have been archived are still listed.

If you click on the dot on the left hand side of the Kerosene Creek one, you'll come up with "this cache has been archived etc". (hey, I got lucky the first time).

So shouldn't be a mystery now, just Buxley doesn't get rid of the old files. Hope that clarifies for ya.

Michelle

Guest tgsnoopy

Thanks Michelle, I kinda suspected that might be the case, but in case it wasn't I wasn't going to say it, wouldn't want egg on my face. I should actually of looked for one of the mobile urban caches in Hamner Springs to prove my theory in hindsight, Lazy eh icon_smile.gif

Guest rediguana

Sorry bout the late reply, I've been out of town for a wee bit. Perhaps it might be good to build a list of all caches in NZ, including archived ones, just for the records you know, a bit of history and all.

Cheers Gav

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

...it might be good to build a list of all caches in NZ, including archived ones, just for the records you know, a bit of history and all.

I've been away from the keyboard for some time, but now I'm back (I've found a few caches too). icon_smile.gif

That sounds like a great idea. I can never remember the ID numbers for our archived caches. Here are some that I had lurking in my watch list (and a few others):

Rakaia River (Ashburton, Canterbury) ID=3801

Hororata River (Mount Hutt, Canterbury) ID=430

Wolffs Bridge ID=4185

Weka Wanderings ID=3514

Waimak River Stash ID=2921

Hanmer Springs "urban mobile cache" ID=3430

Big Pine/Nth Canterbury ID=3161

There are at least two more. They were the first in the South and North Islands. I will need to do a bit of research to find these.

Cheers,

Donovan.

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

There may be more, I guess I'll have a bit of work ahead of me at some stage in the future.

A bit less now my friend... check this out

http://rediguana.co.nz/gpsfun/nzgeocaches.cfm

It got all the listed caches as of now, plus all of the archived caches covered above, plus one of mine I had forgotten to archive (it was already clearly marked in the logs).

Update - OK, I thought what the hell and added a graph for the fun of it. No point listing them without tallying and making a pretty picture 8)

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 22 February 2002).]

Guest Nemesis

quote:

...got all the listed caches as of now, plus all of the archived caches covered....graph for the fun of it

Cool! That's really useful. I like the graph too. Its interesting to see cache placing activity peak at christmas, but so do the number archived too (probably because caches are checked more often then).

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

Its interesting to see cache placing activity...

Spring last year was quite a rush from Sept -> Nov! I have also added some comments identifying historical caches (First NZ, SI, NI) and the oldest unfound active cache. Pity it's too far away from me right now. Must go hunting again in the NI soon icon_smile.gif Mwahahahahaha.

Cheers Gav

Guest Nemesis

quote:

...the oldest unfound active cache.... it's too far away...

Yeah, it would be nice to have some excuse to take a short holiday up north. icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.