Download error

Cyclops

I'm working on my first Wherigo cache.  When I try to download the cartridge to my computer from www.Wherigo.com, I get the first big message below.

When I try to download it from the Wherigo app on my iPhone 7, I get this error.

Download Error

There was an issue with the cartridge download service.  Please try again later or contact Geocaching HQ. (I have not contacted them as I wanted to try this place first)

Error During Upload

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Wherigo.GSPCartridgeService.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) at cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

I waited a bit to see if anyone else would offer to help.  So, looks like I will.

You can download other cartridges, right?  If so, it might be due to something interesting in your cartridge.  Every now and then, a cartridge might use a reserved word or do something else that gives the compiler a hard time.  And, rarely, you can use the compile service and get a cartridge, then not be able to download it once you upload the cartridge to your listing (this is very, very rare).

Anyway, if you'll send me your GWZ file, I'll put in some time to figure out why.  I'm not expecting this to be a quick fix, but I'll get it done and then let you know what it was.  As long as I can reproduce your problem when I upload the cartridge, I can figure out what's going on.  What I usually do is remove most of the cartridge's content manually until the download works, then slowly add parts of the cartridge back into the file until I get the download error.  Anyone can do it, though it does take someone knowing what they're doing since you have to make sure you still have a cartridge that can be compiled successfully.

I emailed Groundspeak and they replied "At this time we are not able to provide technical support for Wherigo Caches. Please try posting your question in the Wherigo forums. Geocachers in these forums can usually provide you with the best support."  I guess I shouldn't be surprised with their reply.

Thanks to Ranger Fox for some good tips.  I'll try them first and if I'm still getting the error, I'll take you up on your offer.

Does Wherigo.com re-compile what I upload to them?

35 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

Does Wherigo.com re-compile what I upload to them?

Yes, the Wherigo website compiles the .gwz/.zip file you upload to produce the .gwc cartridge files for the user.

At some point I made a list of "all the things you shouldn't do in a Wherigo cartridge" and posted it here. I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Here's the link. It looks like most of these trigger an error on upload, not on download, though. Try these anyways?

Edited by Hügh

I can now get a cartridge to download from the Wherigo site.  In the project's "OnStart" event I was doing a Concatenate of sStart (a string) and Butcher Park Tour.Version.  I delete the concatenate and it works.

For reference here's the contents of the sStart;

Your task is to move from one feature to the next in the park, following the zones. There are a total of ten zones spread out through the park.  As a warning, the grass south of the large oak trees in the northern area, can hold water after a rain.

At the end of the tour you will be rewarded with the final coordinates and a hint.

Good luck!

You are playing version

Thanks to everyone's post but especially to Ranger Fox's.

Great to hear you found a solution.  It's an even better feeling to figure it out yourself.

If your code actually used a variable like "Butcher Park Tour.Version", it would first be the spaces in the object name that did it.  Also, the object likely wouldn't exist.  The naming convention would usually make the object be named "cartButcherParkTour".  I believe if you attempted to concatenate a string and numeric data type, lua should do the numeric type's conversion to a string for you.  Most languages will be that helpful.