Did anyone see this on TV tonight?

BigNick

On tonights News there was a report on a guy who has developed a tracking system for search and rescue using a dog, GPS and radio tracker. Basically the dog wears a jacket with a GPS, radio tracker and electronics - when the dog finds what he/she is looking for they pull the radio tracker out of the jacket and leave it with the person - the electronics then mark the position as a waypoint on the GPS and the dog returns to the handler. The handler then uses the GPS and a directional antenna to find the tracker and in turn the person. What made me initially interested was the fact that the GPS was a bog standard eTrex yellow, which initially surprised me because of it's problems with sat-lock under tree cover, but coupled with the radio tracker I guess it will get the job done (but I am still surprised they did not go for a 12 or 72 model)

Website is http://www.k9nz.co.nz if you wanted to read more.

Cheers

Nick.

Looks like an interesting application of GPS tech. Very applicable to alpine/SAR. Don't think it would serve much purpose for USAR (urban) where most casualties are concentrated in clearly recognised areas. Only problems may be technical, ie poor GPS signal in ravine/gully or under dense canopy. But if the handler has a log and can plot it realtime, they should be able to have a good idea where the dog ended up. Perhaps they need to link it to a mapping handheld.

Cheers Gav

quote:
Originally posted by embi:

i dont really know why people think the etrex is a inferior unit. I use one and when I have been up against meridians and the like the etrex has been as good if not better.....

Personally I have not had any real problems finding caches with the eTrex (all my finds have been with it) but I have noticed that it can go quite screwy when under tree coverage due to loosing then finding sat lock. Once it said I had done 850Km on a 4hr bush walk! - what if the waypoint was marked by the dog at the same moment as the GPS had this screwy reading? (Not to say that it would not occur with a 12 or 72, I just thought that with the 12's bigger patch antenna and the 72's quad helix, they may have a better chance under tree coverage)

Cheers

Nick.

From my experience of orienteering in the ozzie native bush in areas adjacent to Ballarat and Bendigo I have to say that there is a vast difference in tree cover density between those areas and NZ/Tasmanian rainforest bush. The 12 is recognised as being superior to the etrex in such areas.

I've already attempted contact with them re this subject and directed them to contact a person with suitable recognised experience. Hopefully they will follow through on this.

Incidently, and ex-geocacher has just bought another GPS and as I type this is out attacking caches. He bought a Magellan GPS320, it outperformed my GPS12 yesterday, is cheaper and comes with the data/power lead icon_eek.gif.

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

Incidently, an ex-geocacher has just bought another GPS and as I type this is out attacking caches. He bought a Magellan GPS320, it outperformed my GPS12 yesterday, is cheaper and comes with the data/power lead icon_eek.gif.

Yes the quad helix antennas used by Magellan are apparently better than the patch antennas in the Garmin etrex units - pity the 300 series is so butt ugly! (Also the Magellans are not supported by TopoMapPro (and won't be according to MapWorld), but are supported by Tumonz (not sure about NZMapped))

Cheers

Nick.