Got close to a cache but then the app told me I needed something else to find it, can't remember what it was. Help?

Reclaimer2511

Last summer, my son, and I decided to go and try and find our first geocache, when we got to the spot it was supposed to be the app told me that I needed a different piece of equipment in order to find the exact spot. I can’t seem to remember what that exact thing was, any idea what it might be? All I remember is being disappointed because we couldn't find it without this device.

• Surprised 1
3 hours ago, Reclaimer2511 said:

Last summer, my son, and I decided to go and try and find our first geocache, when we got to the spot it was supposed to be the app told me that I needed a different piece of equipment in order to find the exact spot. I can’t seem to remember what that exact thing was, any idea what it might be? All I remember is being disappointed because we couldn't find it without this device.

There are many creative puzzle caches that require special equipment.  It might be a "Chirp" cache which needs a particular kind of device or at least a phone that's set up for Chirp (ANT+ device).  It could be that you need to find a code in a Bluetooth or wifi signal.  Or it could be a code sent by "invisible" IR that's only detected by certain cameras.  There are too many possibilities to list here.

Do you know the cache code, or cache name, or where the coordinates are?  If you can contact the cache owner, you might get some hints.  But start by looking on the web site at the cache page (assuming you figure out which one it is), where you're sure to see info about equipment necessary to find it. 

Good luck!

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 2

I saw a post on Reddit with this question. They gave a GC code, and by folks seeing the listing, they were told that the geocache in question needed a Chirp receiver like some Garmin gps models or a phone with ANT+ ability.

• Surprised 1
On 3/6/2023 at 8:32 PM, Reclaimer2511 said:

Generally when you get close to a cache you should use your eyes to find it.  Don't forget to pack those when you go geocaching.

• Funny 4
  • Helpful 1

Since it was your first attempt to find a cache, I think you tried to locate a mystery (the blue questionmark) or a multi (the yellow/orange ones). I can't remember what the app exactly says, but it gives some kind of warning, that there may be something you have to do to calculate the coordinates yourself. 

Traditional caches (the green ones) MUST be at the posted coordinates, and cannot have additional requirements to find the spot. Sometimes you need to do something to open the cache container, but that sounds not to be the issue here.

• Helpful 1