Placing caches?

Guest M

Just wondering if it's cool to place a cache where you're not likely to go back to (or not in a hurry, in any case?).

Or should it always be somewhere sort of nearby or at least with active members nearby so that you know if it's been found/trashed?

This is for our future reference, not immediate, but just thinking a couple of months in advance. icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Guest tgsnoopy

My cache up Mt. Pirongia is a cache in that situation. I have gone up there maybe once every eighteen months in the last ten years! I will however arrange a special trip up to check on it, if I get a posting saying someone had been up there looking for it and was unable to find it.

I guess it's fine to place a cache as long as you are prepared to check on it from time to time, or when postings indicate it is necessary. I bet the occasional check done on caches handy to the typical placers home aren't that often either. I say, go do it! Worst case scenario, it might cause damage to it's local enviroment. I would like to think that if that was the case, then a good geocacher would actually remove it, or relocate it in that situation. But most of us should be careful so we don't damage it's enviroment. Either way, it's not like they get a lot of traffic at this point in time.

However, I have visited one cache, only days after it was placed, and it appeared someone had basically trashed the area looking for it just before my arrival! I made a note to that effect in the cache log (Although I think all I said was it looked like I wasn't the first to look), but I didn't make a note on the website. The first decent wind and rain would have returned the site to normal, and it's only been visited once since then. So it's not really a big problem, they had basically brushed all the leaves etc aside in their searching efforts.

Thanks for that. Guess we'll probably leave that place alone (for now), as we're not even sure we'd ever go back.

We may have to head down your way & hit some of these caches you've planted.

BTW, have you tried that new software yet? TUMONZ? We need to buy another colour printer (anyone in Auckland got an A3 that works for cheap?) before we buy any.

Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by H&M:

Just wondering if it's cool to place a cache where you're not likely to go back to (or not in a hurry, in any case?).

You should place a virtual cache in this case, that way you don't have anything to go back and check on or remove if required.