Local Geocaching Website

Guest Adman

I still like the idea of being able to select the range from a certain point icon_smile.gif For example you choose the city then the distance from that city you want to search from. I realise that geocaching.com is hard coded to 150 miles. rolleyes.gif But I can't see any reason why some advanced search features like this can't be added to geocaching.co.nz confused.gif apart from a bit of time

p.s. what platform are you going to host it on?

I still like the idea of being able to select the range from a certain point icon_smile.gif For example you choose the city then the distance from that city you want to search from. I realise that geocaching.com is hard coded to 150 miles. rolleyes.gif But I can't see any reason why some advanced search features like this can't be added to geocaching.co.nz confused.gif apart from a bit of time

p.s. what platform are you going to host it on?

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

I still like the idea of being able to select the range from a certain point icon_smile.gif But I can't see any reason why some advanced search features like this can't be added to geocaching.co.nz

Well, that would require us keeping a duplicate db of geocaches in NZ and basically writing it ourself. Remember that what I have done is just a front end to the geocaching.com search engine.

I have asked Jermey to include a tag to limit the results to a certain radius, and also to have a tag so the results are returned in metric units. I would much prefer to see him add those features to his search engine than to have to do the whole thing ourselves.

Re platform, I usually use cold fusion on IIS as that is what I know, and Access2k for the database. Small, cheap and light generally. I use 2day for hosting - whilst not the cheapest, good, smart service and easily managed.

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

I still like the idea of being able to select the range from a certain point icon_smile.gif But I can't see any reason why some advanced search features like this can't be added to geocaching.co.nz

Well, that would require us keeping a duplicate db of geocaches in NZ and basically writing it ourself. Remember that what I have done is just a front end to the geocaching.com search engine.

I have asked Jermey to include a tag to limit the results to a certain radius, and also to have a tag so the results are returned in metric units. I would much prefer to see him add those features to his search engine than to have to do the whole thing ourselves.

Re platform, I usually use cold fusion on IIS as that is what I know, and Access2k for the database. Small, cheap and light generally. I use 2day for hosting - whilst not the cheapest, good, smart service and easily managed.

Cheers Gav

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

I have asked Jermey to include a tag to limit the results to a certain radius, and also to have a tag so the results are returned in metric units

Even better icon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking of automating it by monitoring geocaching.com to keep a local database up to date, I have used this technique before (very time consuming to write though icon_frown.gif) Getting tags added ... much better idea icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

I have asked Jermey to include a tag to limit the results to a certain radius, and also to have a tag so the results are returned in metric units

Even better icon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking of automating it by monitoring geocaching.com to keep a local database up to date, I have used this technique before (very time consuming to write though icon_frown.gif) Getting tags added ... much better idea icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Hehe ... Glad you enjoyed that link. I very rarely go tramping or geocaching now without printing out a aerial shot and a NZ Mapped Topomap to take with me icon_biggrin.gif

Your right ... very Cool cool.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Hehe ... Glad you enjoyed that link. I very rarely go tramping or geocaching now without printing out a aerial shot and a NZ Mapped Topomap to take with me icon_biggrin.gif

Your right ... very Cool cool.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

it's just too cool icon_smile.gif

Cheers Gav

PS Just hit 179MB in downloaded orthos, the tiffs are really pretty icon_wink.gif I'm gonna try and download the lot, and if anyone is interested in them on CD, let me know.

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 26 September 2001).]

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

it's just too cool icon_smile.gif

Cheers Gav

PS Just hit 179MB in downloaded orthos, the tiffs are really pretty icon_wink.gif I'm gonna try and download the lot, and if anyone is interested in them on CD, let me know.

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 26 September 2001).]