Auckland Tourist Caches

Guest Team Dragon

Guest Team Dragon

I'm an American who will be visiting Auckland for ten days, starting Friday. My weekdays will be spent in a business environment but weekends and evenings I plan to be exploring and was hoping to find some caches. I will not have a car and will be staying near Albert Park.

I don't mind rugged terrain but I'm more after urban caches in this trip. Can anyone point out caches that will be relatively near by or have somewhat easy access? I appreciate the fact that many of the caches have a region marked in the title but while that helps narrow them down, I need to focus on ones that are accessable by bus or walking.

So in short, looking for urban caches in Auckland. Park caches, micros, etc.

Guest tgsnoopy

Ok the easiest for you to hit will be:

11844 Geofurbys Incubator

1346 Rock on Baby

7141 Hey I can C my House

13694 Coastal Cache

672 North Shore City Kendalls Bay

11202 Mangemangeroa

75 Aukland Stash

Then they get more difficult:

In Auckland, the real challenge (must finish it one day):

9733 Mission Impossible

Also near Auckland, but more remote & Challenging:

8139 Top of the pipeline

10100 ehcacoeG

Heading north out of Auckland to Whangarei:

220 Warkworth Stash

And then in the Whangarei Area (about 2 hours drive north of Auckland):

7008 Animal 1

7020 Animal 2

9177 Tunnel Vision

9047 Mac Attack 1

9048 Mac Attack 2

9049 Mac Attack Final

870 Waikaraka Walkway

8744 Port View

2202 Waimahungu Track

8318 Clueless

9195 Manaia Mania

That would probably be the way I would attack things in your circumstances. I have visited a couple of these caches, but have been considering most of them recently.

There were a couple more caches near Auckland that dissapeared, I don't know what happened to them, but will investigate.

Enjoy, if you need further info e-mail me at tgsnoopy@xtra.co.nz icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tgsnoopy (edited 12 February 2002).]

Guest tgsnoopy

Ok the easiest for you to hit will be:

11844 Geofurbys Incubator

1346 Rock on Baby

7141 Hey I can C my House

13694 Coastal Cache

672 North Shore City Kendalls Bay

11202 Mangemangeroa

75 Aukland Stash

Then they get more difficult:

In Auckland, the real challenge (must finish it one day):

9733 Mission Impossible

Also near Auckland, but more remote & Challenging:

8139 Top of the pipeline

10100 ehcacoeG

Heading north out of Auckland to Whangarei:

220 Warkworth Stash

And then in the Whangarei Area (about 2 hours drive north of Auckland):

7008 Animal 1

7020 Animal 2

9177 Tunnel Vision

9047 Mac Attack 1

9048 Mac Attack 2

9049 Mac Attack Final

870 Waikaraka Walkway

8744 Port View

2202 Waimahungu Track

8318 Clueless

9195 Manaia Mania

That would probably be the way I would attack things in your circumstances. I have visited a couple of these caches, but have been considering most of them recently.

There were a couple more caches near Auckland that dissapeared, I don't know what happened to them, but will investigate.

Enjoy, if you need further info e-mail me at tgsnoopy@xtra.co.nz icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tgsnoopy (edited 12 February 2002).]

Guest tgsnoopy

The three missing caches were:

8138 Take a Picnic - Plundered

8076 Dam slippery rocks - Washed away by flooding

7958 Westside waterfall - Plundered

Darn! I hate it when that happens.

Guest tgsnoopy

Wow, that was quick, just received a cellphone call from a fellow cacher informing me that

11862 Blooming Beautiful - had been plundered, along with a travel bug that was in it icon_frown.gif Darn.

I'll edit it out of the first list.

Guest tgsnoopy

Wow, that was quick, just received a cellphone call from a fellow cacher informing me that

11862 Blooming Beautiful - had been plundered, along with a travel bug that was in it icon_frown.gif Darn.

I'll edit it out of the first list.

Guest Team Dragon

Thanks for the information, that multi-cache looks daunting without a car but at least I now know it's all within the Auckland environs.

[This message has been edited by Team Dragon (edited 13 February 2002).]

Guest tgsnoopy

at darn cipher for the Matrix. If you are keen e-mail me. Mind you there are other active cachers up there that would be in a better position than me to give you a hand. In actuality all I have to do is decode the matrix, I have all the information required, just no motivation to complete it, as Team Hunter Gatherer bet me to it, I've tried beleive me, but just can't see the wood for the trees icon_smile.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

at darn cipher for the Matrix. If you are keen e-mail me. Mind you there are other active cachers up there that would be in a better position than me to give you a hand. In actuality all I have to do is decode the matrix, I have all the information required, just no motivation to complete it, as Team Hunter Gatherer bet me to it, I've tried beleive me, but just can't see the wood for the trees icon_smile.gif

Guest Team Dragon

That sounds like a good idea. I'll drop you an e-mail as the week progresses. This weekend I won't have access to an Internet connection but a week from Saturday ought to work for me if you're open.

Guest tgsnoopy

A great effort by Team Dragon team member Eric whilst out here. He got to 4 caches without a rental car:

Geofurby's Incubator

Coastal Cache

Hey I can see my house from here

Rock On Baby

Then with my visit on Saturday we hit:

Mission: Impossible

Mangemangeroa

North Shore City - Kendalls Bay

An interesting day! Pity the weather wasn't the best, but it was better than the weather down here for sure icon_biggrin.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

A great effort by Team Dragon team member Eric whilst out here. He got to 4 caches without a rental car:

Geofurby's Incubator

Coastal Cache

Hey I can see my house from here

Rock On Baby

Then with my visit on Saturday we hit:

Mission: Impossible

Mangemangeroa

North Shore City - Kendalls Bay

An interesting day! Pity the weather wasn't the best, but it was better than the weather down here for sure icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Team Dragon

The weather wasn't the best but it certainly could have been much worse. Heck, My tennis shoes dried somewhere over the Pacific.

There are some beautiful areas not far outside of central Auckland and I am grateful for the tour and the company while caching. I now just need to find a spot to place the Furby...

[This message has been edited by Team Dragon (edited 24 February 2002).]

Guest HunterGatherer

hey snoopy

Steve emailed a copy of the stuff he mailed you to help out with the Mission Impossible Cache... how far did you get before you gave in and used his email?

i felt like a dumb **** when i finally worked out the matrix etc... stares you right in the face doesn't it icon_smile.gif

Team Hunter Gatherer

Guest HunterGatherer

hey snoopy

Steve emailed a copy of the stuff he mailed you to help out with the Mission Impossible Cache... how far did you get before you gave in and used his email?

i felt like a dumb **** when i finally worked out the matrix etc... stares you right in the face doesn't it icon_smile.gif

Team Hunter Gatherer

Guest HunterGatherer

wow that's cool... this board automatically edits out the swear words... very ****ing clever.

for the record, the one in the post above is the S word... i'd never use the word **** in a post.

icon_smile.gif

Guest HunterGatherer

wow that's cool... this board automatically edits out the swear words... very ****ing clever.

for the record, the one in the post above is the S word... i'd never use the word **** in a post.

icon_smile.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

Oh yes, man I felt stupid, hence the comment about not trying to use mathematics to solve the matrix. Actually I used his clues a little, he confirmed a couple of clues for me, then I got him to clarify a base 10 base 26 issue for me, and then I had to get a final pointer from him to resolve the Matrix, as I had said earlier, I couldn't see the wood for the trees. In any case, Eric did a good job of decoding the clues up to the Matrix level without assistance, but like me, he got stuck on the final stage of decoding the matrix, I think his comment was something like "Man that's evil" when I showed him how to resolve it. Steve had told me something on the phone about the matrix that should have made it fall into place, but I was thinking Mathematical type solutions, not the much easier solution that is actually used. Oh well live and learn icon_biggrin.gif It is interesting to see how few people have attempted it though.

Guest tgsnoopy

Oh yes, man I felt stupid, hence the comment about not trying to use mathematics to solve the matrix. Actually I used his clues a little, he confirmed a couple of clues for me, then I got him to clarify a base 10 base 26 issue for me, and then I had to get a final pointer from him to resolve the Matrix, as I had said earlier, I couldn't see the wood for the trees. In any case, Eric did a good job of decoding the clues up to the Matrix level without assistance, but like me, he got stuck on the final stage of decoding the matrix, I think his comment was something like "Man that's evil" when I showed him how to resolve it. Steve had told me something on the phone about the matrix that should have made it fall into place, but I was thinking Mathematical type solutions, not the much easier solution that is actually used. Oh well live and learn icon_biggrin.gif It is interesting to see how few people have attempted it though.