Anyone for some geodashing?

Guest rediguana

Guest tgsnoopy

KaimaiKid and I got to GD5-31004 early this afternoon. We got to S37 57.433 E176 10.052 which is well within the required 100m icon_smile.gif. Unfortunately it started getting rather steep and we were on ground that wasn't exactly suited to trying to climb down to the exact spot. But there's some points for TeamKiwi. Kamaikid and I decided I should join the team Gav, so can you join me, or do I need to do it? To be honest I still haven't read all the rules or anything.

Well I have read the rules now, and as you are probably aware by the e-mail it seems to send to everyone I have asked Scout to add me to TeamKiwi.

[This message has been edited by tgsnoopy (edited 11 November 2001).]

Guest tgsnoopy

KaimaiKid and I got to GD5-31004 early this afternoon. We got to S37 57.433 E176 10.052 which is well within the required 100m icon_smile.gif. Unfortunately it started getting rather steep and we were on ground that wasn't exactly suited to trying to climb down to the exact spot. But there's some points for TeamKiwi. Kamaikid and I decided I should join the team Gav, so can you join me, or do I need to do it? To be honest I still haven't read all the rules or anything.

Well I have read the rules now, and as you are probably aware by the e-mail it seems to send to everyone I have asked Scout to add me to TeamKiwi.

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

I can go down to a 500 foot ceiling in most areas in the helicopter without permission, but thats like 155m....I think that is an excellent idea...you should get rewarded for your efforts.

Yeah, I thought about that the other day (I have my private pilots' licence (fixed wing)). icon_wink.gif Maybe you could have some (phantom) engine trouble and begin a precutionary landing near the dash point (at least unil you get to within 100 m anyway). icon_smile.gif

I'm glad that you think my scoring idea is a good one. I agree that I should get at least some credit. BTW, congratulations on finding that dash point. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:

I can go down to a 500 foot ceiling in most areas in the helicopter without permission, but thats like 155m....I think that is an excellent idea...you should get rewarded for your efforts.

Yeah, I thought about that the other day (I have my private pilots' licence (fixed wing)). icon_wink.gif Maybe you could have some (phantom) engine trouble and begin a precutionary landing near the dash point (at least unil you get to within 100 m anyway). icon_smile.gif

I'm glad that you think my scoring idea is a good one. I agree that I should get at least some credit. BTW, congratulations on finding that dash point. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest tgsnoopy

nce and I wouldn't want to experience it again. I will say that one of the three people (including the pilot) on board required clean underwear after that landing (if you could call it a landing, that particular helicopter never flew again). I didn't go back on board a helicopter for nearly 2 years after that incident. No I won't admit or deny if it was me who needed the underwear, it was just to emphasis how sudden and terrifying the event was.

I also just learnt that certain stronger words are filtered out in here, so I had to re-word my posting icon_wink.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

nce and I wouldn't want to experience it again. I will say that one of the three people (including the pilot) on board required clean underwear after that landing (if you could call it a landing, that particular helicopter never flew again). I didn't go back on board a helicopter for nearly 2 years after that incident. No I won't admit or deny if it was me who needed the underwear, it was just to emphasis how sudden and terrifying the event was.

I also just learnt that certain stronger words are filtered out in here, so I had to re-word my posting icon_wink.gif

Guest Nemesis

quote:

I aren't actually a helicopter pilot....I think that Suspected Swash Plate Problems due to an intermittant noise is the best excuse...

Yeah, it's always better to be safe than sorry. icon_wink.gif But, I can't either officially condone or do it myself (it's totally illigal under the civial aviation act and hence the terms of my pilots' licence). I do know of a few people who do it from time to time, when the want to land on a remote beach, for example (as it is not an airfield, that is illigal). I have not had any mechanical trouble myself. But, we do many hours of forced landing practice, just in case. It's not something I look forward to however (brown trousers time, that is). icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:

I aren't actually a helicopter pilot....I think that Suspected Swash Plate Problems due to an intermittant noise is the best excuse...

Yeah, it's always better to be safe than sorry. icon_wink.gif But, I can't either officially condone or do it myself (it's totally illigal under the civial aviation act and hence the terms of my pilots' licence). I do know of a few people who do it from time to time, when the want to land on a remote beach, for example (as it is not an airfield, that is illigal). I have not had any mechanical trouble myself. But, we do many hours of forced landing practice, just in case. It's not something I look forward to however (brown trousers time, that is). icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

Hey All. Back from my tiki-tour trip down south. Managed to find a few caches, place some caches, and grab a few dash points as well. Got to some interesting places to - the Ahuriri Valley was really pretty!

Anyway, for those who don't know, there is a vote going on for geodashing memebers about modification to the scoring system to allow bonus points for getting within 500m of the point, as well as standardising points scored for visiting a point ie everyone who visits gets the same amount.

Updated - I have just read over the poll, and I think I like the option of getting 2 points for getting within 100m, 1 point within 500m. So I have voted for option D. You may want to check where the votes stand after you have voted to see what the most likely option is to get bonus points included. icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 17 November 2001).]

Guest rediguana

Hey All. Back from my tiki-tour trip down south. Managed to find a few caches, place some caches, and grab a few dash points as well. Got to some interesting places to - the Ahuriri Valley was really pretty!

Anyway, for those who don't know, there is a vote going on for geodashing memebers about modification to the scoring system to allow bonus points for getting within 500m of the point, as well as standardising points scored for visiting a point ie everyone who visits gets the same amount.

Updated - I have just read over the poll, and I think I like the option of getting 2 points for getting within 100m, 1 point within 500m. So I have voted for option D. You may want to check where the votes stand after you have voted to see what the most likely option is to get bonus points included. icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 17 November 2001).]

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

...I like the option of getting 2 points for getting within 100m, 1 point within 500m. So I have voted for option D...

So do I. I have just cast my vote. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

...I like the option of getting 2 points for getting within 100m, 1 point within 500m. So I have voted for option D...

So do I. I have just cast my vote. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.