Anyone for some geodashing?

Guest rediguana

Guest rediguana

Right-o! I have still to get a virgin confluence, but I did have a go at geodashing today (http://www.geodashing.org).

Was interesting, random coordinates are generated, and it's your mission to try and get to them. They appear to be roughly every 50-100km so there is likely one near you. A new set is generated each month. This months set is almost over, so with disappear to be replaced by game 5's in November. I believe there is going to be a denser population of points next month. You get points for visiting a dash, and you can enter teams of up to 5. I'm doing it more for the fun of it. If anyone else in NZ wants to join up and do some, let me know.

Cheers Gav

Guest bunkerdave

Right on! I hope you "Kiwis" will get into it. I have bagged 9 dashpoints myself, (I think) and have had some really interesting treks to them. Give this a try. I think you will find it an interesting concept, especially in a great place like New Zealand.

Guest rediguana

It sure will, there is one in Arthurs Pass that I would have liked to attempt, but can't afford the time with study right now.

We'll see some interesting dashes here in NZ, and probably some that are very difficult to get to as well. I'm definitely looking forward to more dash points - thats definitely a good thing.

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

Maybe not, game 4 finishs tomorrow

Ah yes, but game 5 starts on Thursday, and I believe it has around 2x as many dash points icon_smile.gif No reason to be sad LOL! I think the new set of points may be released tomorrow as well.

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 30 October 2001).]

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

Maybe not, game 4 finishs tomorrow

Ah yes, but game 5 starts on Thursday, and I believe it has around 2x as many dash points icon_smile.gif No reason to be sad LOL! I think the new set of points may be released tomorrow as well.

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 30 October 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

If anyone else in NZ wants to join up and do some, let me know.

I'm keen to give a Team Kiwi a go, especially with the points being a bit denser next month icon_smile.gif. Maybe some of the Auckland Geocachers icon_wink.gif might be keen, so we get a better NZ coverage.

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

quote:

If anyone else in NZ wants to join up and do some, let me know.

I'm keen to give a Team Kiwi a go, especially with the points being a bit denser next month icon_smile.gif. Maybe some of the Auckland Geocachers icon_wink.gif might be keen, so we get a better NZ coverage.

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Guest Nemesis

I will have a go (time and money permitting). It's great that they are stepping up the point density (in previous games, many of the points were in the sea (because we live on an island)).

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

Cool stuff! So for Team Kiwi (or Team NZ after the yachties icon_smile.gif We have three of five places.

* Adam aka Adman

* Donovan aka Nemisis

* Gavin aka rediguana

Perhaps peejay might be keen, or some of the Rotorua cachers? Well we'll just have to keep an eye out icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

Cool stuff! So for Team Kiwi (or Team NZ after the yachties icon_smile.gif We have three of five places.

* Adam aka Adman

* Donovan aka Nemisis

* Gavin aka rediguana

Perhaps peejay might be keen, or some of the Rotorua cachers? Well we'll just have to keep an eye out icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

quote:

* Adam aka Adman

* Donovan aka Nemisis

* Gavin aka rediguana

Cheers Gav

Yep, count me in. What next?

quote:

* Adam aka Adman

* Donovan aka Nemisis

* Gavin aka rediguana

Cheers Gav

Yep, count me in. What next?

Guest Nemesis

quote:

They're out and available!...

Yeah, there are three really easy looking ones near the coast between Timaru and Christchurch (most are within the queen's chain). icon_smile.gif

It's a pity I can't make it up that way. I will try some of the points around Dunedin (they look a bit challanging).

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:

They're out and available!...

Yeah, there are three really easy looking ones near the coast between Timaru and Christchurch (most are within the queen's chain). icon_smile.gif

It's a pity I can't make it up that way. I will try some of the points around Dunedin (they look a bit challanging).

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

I will try some of the points around Dunedin (they look a bit challanging).

I've just done a little bit of research and I've found about 15 that I may get in the ballpark over the next month. About 4 are QC, and 8 are within 500m of the road. Most are private property. There are a few challanging ones, some that might be quite pretty, and one that could be a driveby dashpoint.

Might grab a break from study at some stage tomorrow and hunt a couple icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

I will try some of the points around Dunedin (they look a bit challanging).

I've just done a little bit of research and I've found about 15 that I may get in the ballpark over the next month. About 4 are QC, and 8 are within 500m of the road. Most are private property. There are a few challanging ones, some that might be quite pretty, and one that could be a driveby dashpoint.

Might grab a break from study at some stage tomorrow and hunt a couple icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

I just registered us as TeamKiwi, Donovan and peejay, I wasn't sure of the email/username you used on the Yahoo board, so you may need to let scout know that you want to belong to TeamKiwi.

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 02 November 2001).]

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by peejay:

Have just logged one! Will try and post it for TeamKiwi.

Have just done two for a start to the month - score 6 points for TeamKiwi icon_smile.gif They were pretty easy ones though - yours sounded much more fun! LOL

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by peejay:

Have just logged one! Will try and post it for TeamKiwi.

Have just done two for a start to the month - score 6 points for TeamKiwi icon_smile.gif They were pretty easy ones though - yours sounded much more fun! LOL

Cheers Gav

Hey, 2 is pretty cool!

Would you believe I have driven past GD5-30981 twice in the past six months, both times on 4WD treks. No chance of getting back over there this month I'm afraid.

Dec/January will be interesting though, I have 5 weeks holiday and can put up some mileage then!

Cheers.

Guest rediguana

Cool stuff! The more the better, especially handy having someone in that neck of the woods icon_wink.gif

We have one space left in in TeamKiwi, as teams can have up to five members. Currently we have four, based in Whangarei, Palmerston North, Christchurch and Wellington.

We'd love to have someone else in our team, and if we have more than 5, then perhaps we can rotate players in the team each month to ensure that everyone gets a go, and if someone isn't going to get a chance to go dashing that month, then someone else can contribute to the team. If we get enough, we can always split into two icon_smile.gif

There is nothing stopping both of you geodashing anyway, individually both of you will get the same points.

We'd love to have you guys on our team though icon_smile.gif

Go to www.geodashing.org for more information. You'll need to register for yahoo groups to be able to get the mailing list to post visits etc. Any points you find, tell them you're with TeamKiwi icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

Cool stuff! The more the better, especially handy having someone in that neck of the woods icon_wink.gif

We have one space left in in TeamKiwi, as teams can have up to five members. Currently we have four, based in Whangarei, Palmerston North, Christchurch and Wellington.

We'd love to have someone else in our team, and if we have more than 5, then perhaps we can rotate players in the team each month to ensure that everyone gets a go, and if someone isn't going to get a chance to go dashing that month, then someone else can contribute to the team. If we get enough, we can always split into two icon_smile.gif

There is nothing stopping both of you geodashing anyway, individually both of you will get the same points.

We'd love to have you guys on our team though icon_smile.gif

Go to www.geodashing.org for more information. You'll need to register for yahoo groups to be able to get the mailing list to post visits etc. Any points you find, tell them you're with TeamKiwi icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

Guest tgsnoopy

Well, I wonder who it will be, either of us here in Tauranga, doesn't really matter as we often tend to team up when hunting caches icon_smile.gif

I'm starting to look into it tonight, I might have to chase a couple of geodashing points instead of caches. Trouble is I've got really busy again at the moment (not that that's a bad thing), hopefully will catch up again soon though icon_frown.gif.

Had another of those awkward DOC situations at a mountain safety meeting last night. When mentioning kaimaikid and my tramping efforts on the weekend (no mention by me of geocaching), one of the others present spouted out about how he had been hiding something eek.gif . Oops, in front of several DOC employees, including the guest speaker, one of the higest DOC gurus in the country who took more interest than I was comfortable with. We really need to start thinking about some kind of official approach to DOC.

Guest tgsnoopy

Well, I wonder who it will be, either of us here in Tauranga, doesn't really matter as we often tend to team up when hunting caches icon_smile.gif

I'm starting to look into it tonight, I might have to chase a couple of geodashing points instead of caches. Trouble is I've got really busy again at the moment (not that that's a bad thing), hopefully will catch up again soon though icon_frown.gif.

Had another of those awkward DOC situations at a mountain safety meeting last night. When mentioning kaimaikid and my tramping efforts on the weekend (no mention by me of geocaching), one of the others present spouted out about how he had been hiding something eek.gif . Oops, in front of several DOC employees, including the guest speaker, one of the higest DOC gurus in the country who took more interest than I was comfortable with. We really need to start thinking about some kind of official approach to DOC.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

Well, I wonder who it will be, either of us here in Tauranga, doesn't really matter as we often tend to team up when hunting caches

Exactly, come December we'll sort something out for the new month. Of course, it doesn't stop you hunting points together, and you'll still get just as many individual points.

quote:
Had another of those awkward DOC situations...

Yeah, I think we should start looking at that again, try this new thread... Its another reason why have have become interested in geodashing, no container, and the location only lasts for a month - slightly more environmentally friendly. But caching is still cool too icon_smile.gif

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000057.html

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 07 November 2001).]

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

Well, I wonder who it will be, either of us here in Tauranga, doesn't really matter as we often tend to team up when hunting caches

Exactly, come December we'll sort something out for the new month. Of course, it doesn't stop you hunting points together, and you'll still get just as many individual points.

quote:
Had another of those awkward DOC situations...

Yeah, I think we should start looking at that again, try this new thread... Its another reason why have have become interested in geodashing, no container, and the location only lasts for a month - slightly more environmentally friendly. But caching is still cool too icon_smile.gif

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000057.html

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 07 November 2001).]

Guest Nemesis

quote:

We have one space left in in TeamKiwi, as teams can have up to five members...

Consider me a member of TeamKiwi. I have just sent of a message to Geodashing@yahoogroups.com asking to be added.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest tgsnoopy

Murphies law dictates I've driven past one of those geodash points about 5 times so far this month, I suppose next trip to Rotorua on the direct road I should battle the 200m or so of scrub to see if I can get to the point. I hope my e-trex is up to the task. Hmm, Kaimaikids GPS seems better under the canopy..... I guess, another team effort coming up, two slashers are better than one against the darn blackberry in that area.

Guest Nemesis

I went out this weekend to find some dash points...

I first tried GD5-30949 in the quarry near Milton (on the 9th). After much bush whacking through bush lawyer infested bush, torn and bloody, I discovered that the point was on Milton quarry land (only 250 m away). As they displayed a sign stating ?Danger Keep Out?, I had to, to stick to the rules, that is. Maybe my next one would be easier.

On the 10th, I decided to try the dash point near Invercargill (at Kapuka), GD5-30936. Got to within 300 m and I could clearly see down a private road, past a workshop, to the dash point. I headed back down the road to the farmhouse, but nobody was around. This being Southland and a weekend, they were probably off down the local pub. Oh well, on to the next one over the back roads via Edendale.

Next I tried GD5-30939, just north of Gore. Lovely drive down the back roads on a lovely sunny Southland day (yes they do happen occasionally icon_wink.gif) with fluffy cumulus filling the sky, I would never have driven them otherwise. But, there too, the same problem (and under 500 m away).

As I was out that way, I decided to check out a nearby confluence too (46S 169E). Got to within 300 m, well, you guessed it?

Never mind. As I was out in the whops, I decided to continue on the backcountry roads towards Tapanui and then down to meet State Highway 1 at Waipahi, it?s a great drive. On the way I found a neat railway tunnel that I may use a virtual cache some day (the railway tracks have been pulled up between Tapanui and Waipahi).

Maybe we should consider changing the scoring system to allow partial credit for getting close to a dash point? You could award all of the points fore closer than 100 m (as it is now) or maybe reduce it to 50 m and half points for closer than 500 m and a quarter for closer than 5 km. Just a suggestion, what does everyone else think?

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

I went out this weekend to find some dash points...

I first tried GD5-30949 in the quarry near Milton (on the 9th). After much bush whacking through bush lawyer infested bush, torn and bloody, I discovered that the point was on Milton quarry land (only 250 m away). As they displayed a sign stating ?Danger Keep Out?, I had to, to stick to the rules, that is. Maybe my next one would be easier.

On the 10th, I decided to try the dash point near Invercargill (at Kapuka), GD5-30936. Got to within 300 m and I could clearly see down a private road, past a workshop, to the dash point. I headed back down the road to the farmhouse, but nobody was around. This being Southland and a weekend, they were probably off down the local pub. Oh well, on to the next one over the back roads via Edendale.

Next I tried GD5-30939, just north of Gore. Lovely drive down the back roads on a lovely sunny Southland day (yes they do happen occasionally icon_wink.gif) with fluffy cumulus filling the sky, I would never have driven them otherwise. But, there too, the same problem (and under 500 m away).

As I was out that way, I decided to check out a nearby confluence too (46S 169E). Got to within 300 m, well, you guessed it?

Never mind. As I was out in the whops, I decided to continue on the backcountry roads towards Tapanui and then down to meet State Highway 1 at Waipahi, it?s a great drive. On the way I found a neat railway tunnel that I may use a virtual cache some day (the railway tracks have been pulled up between Tapanui and Waipahi).

Maybe we should consider changing the scoring system to allow partial credit for getting close to a dash point? You could award all of the points fore closer than 100 m (as it is now) or maybe reduce it to 50 m and half points for closer than 500 m and a quarter for closer than 5 km. Just a suggestion, what does everyone else think?

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest tgsnoopy

Hmm, Lets see, I can get down to a 500 foot ceiling in most areas in a helicopter without permission, but thats like 155m. That'd make the points easy, albeit a bit expensive.

LOL, seriously though, I think that is an excellent idea. Obviously, if the geodash point is off a bluff, in the middle of private land or whatever, if you have made the attempt, and got as close as you can without putting your safety at risk or breaking the rules, the you should get rewarded for your efforts. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tgsnoopy (edited 11 November 2001).]

Guest tgsnoopy

Hmm, Lets see, I can get down to a 500 foot ceiling in most areas in a helicopter without permission, but thats like 155m. That'd make the points easy, albeit a bit expensive.

LOL, seriously though, I think that is an excellent idea. Obviously, if the geodash point is off a bluff, in the middle of private land or whatever, if you have made the attempt, and got as close as you can without putting your safety at risk or breaking the rules, the you should get rewarded for your efforts. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tgsnoopy (edited 11 November 2001).]