Travel Bugs II

Guest rediguana

Guest rediguana

Just heard from Jeremy.

He has been way busy. Anyway, we can submit a group order through me, and get everything bundled out in one package. So, any requests for travel bugs, or other geocaching merchandise, either email me with exact numbers (not a few or couple icon_wink.gif and sizes/colours if appropriate. Or post here. Or message me through the geocaching.com website.

Cheers Gav

Guest tgsnoopy

I'm in for a couple of Medium T-shirts and a couple of travel bugs, I figure I'll succumb to popular trend and get two, but we had better not swamp the place with bugs. Drop me an e-mail at your leisure and tell me how you want me to pay you for them. tgsnoopy@xtra.co.nz

[This message has been edited by tgsnoopy (edited 08 November 2001).]

Re the travel bugs guys!

From the Take A Picnic cache report (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8138) - The log AKA left on Nov 18:

"Anyway from this one we took the American currency and the travel bug, which we will deposit in another cache after the owner has activated it"

Wait, that's weird - I visited it Oct 7 and there definitly wasn't a travel bug in there then! Oct 28, ags visited and allegedly took and left nothing! The cache report doesn't mention a bug in there, and Team HG (who visited before me) would have said something if he happened across it when he looked thru the cache.

I wonder if a visitor/traveller from America has visited this cache (hence the American currency?) and is yet to log their find, or if the Netguide reporter (who quoted from this cache report in their article) left it?

Is this a conspiracy or what!?!? icon_smile.gif Who's AKA, and what's the bug's code?

Guest redquiltsblue

It is possible that there is an American visiting Australia and geocaching there. In the USA - you will see a lot of logs posted with comments such as: Found this one on day 3 of my trek through Arizonia. Couldn't wait to get home to log it! So maybe, when they get back to the states they will log the cache. [ icon_biggrin.gif]

Too bad AKA didn't say if there was anything in the log book about who left the bug.

Hard to imagine that they brought a Travel Bug with them and didn't activate it before they left though. [ icon_frown.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by redquiltsblue:

It is possible that there is an American visiting Australia and geocaching there

It's possible there are many, but in order to discover any caches in New Zealand they'll still have to swim across an ocean. icon_smile.gif

Steve

Guest tgsnoopy

Any word on the travel bug situation Gav? It's been about 6 weeks, I thought they would be here by now.

As you might have guessed with my crook knee at the moment (which is coming right slowly) I'm less active, although I did manage to run up and a lot of the way down the Mount (Maunganui) yesterday. The appeal for dashing just isn't great at the moment, I'm too busy, and they are just too distant and difficult for me to get excited about, not too mention certain overseas players who seem to get a bit carried away with it at times.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

Any word on the travel bug situation Gav?

Haven't sighted anything yet... and a charge has yet to be made on my credit card.

quote:
and they are just too distant and difficult for me to get excited about, not too mention certain overseas players who seem to get a bit carried away with it at times.

icon_smile.gif I know what you mean. I'm still trying to think of doing something like dashing, but closer to home and more accessible.

Hope your knee is getting better!

Cheers Gav

Now there is a thought. Anyone got the nous to do that? A New Zealand version with more points to choose from would be great.

How about a points scale ie within city limits 1 point, over 5 k 2 points, 20k 3 points etc, an incentive to get out and hunt.

Guest tgsnoopy

Hmm, so much for my tounge in cheek suggestion. Hmm, how about a variable points scale dependant upon effort required. Say 1 point for each 10k driven, 1k tramped up a track and 100m bushwacking?

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

Say 1 point for each 10k driven, 1k tramped up a track and 100m bushwacking?

I like the sound of that, how bout 1 bonus point for every 50k driven,1k tramped & 50m bushwacking.

Guest tgsnoopy

Actually after batling some supplejack, bush lawyer, blackberry and gorse today I'd agree with that! My knee is finally on the mend, well so far so good anyway. I think I might go give it a test tomorrow. Helicopter rides for the boys on Thursday, weather permitting, it's solar powered repeater maintenance time icon_biggrin.gif

We read your forum pages frequently because we have a great interest in New Zealand and hope to someday have a chance to see it first hand. The point of this reply is that we can appreciate your frustration about not getting travel bugs and would like to help if we can. Not sure how other than to purchase some here and mail to someone there and be reimbursed for them. Perhaps as a gift exchange. Anyway if we can help somehow, let us know. Amy & Michael