Just so disappointed in what used to be exciting

WV_GeoBear

So the past year lots of personal challenges enough to push one’s limits to overcome yet I have.  My disappointment is constantly muggled caches. Trackables that people just hold on to,  I’m land locked by a National Park and unfortunately dark green and light green  are to difficult to differentiate so I won’t fight to place anymore.   Sorry if I’m on a soap box . But really can’t find the enjoyment anymore. 

1 hour ago, WV_GeoBear said:

But really can’t find the enjoyment anymore.

Shortly after I started geocaching, I heard the advice, "If you aren't having fun, then you're doing it wrong." That can apply to specific types of caches (puzzles, numbers run caches, whatever), where you can ignore the caches you don't enjoy. But it can also apply to geocaching in general. It's supposed to be fun. If you can't find something about it that you enjoy, then maybe it's time to move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, WV_GeoBear said:

But really can’t find the enjoyment anymore. 

That happens...  I sometimes got ticked when something was added/removed from the hobby.

"Newest in..." removed on our profile page was a big one for me, and I even went basic over it.  

We had problems with muggled caches for a while... some were from a new "Intro" app, and others from keeping hides low D/T.

- We upped distance a bit, upping the terrain more than difficulty, and that was enough to calm things down some.

Trackables gone "missing" or held forever were simple to explain, that "anyone can play" thing... and we learned our lesson.

The other 2/3rds hasn't gone back to the hobby after a no hides/finds "CO" placed a cache 400' off. 

She found it, but got tired of "beta testing" newbs... A motorcycle accident may keep her out a while longer.

I'm almost done with my (hopefully) last experience with chemo, and I'll play again when I can.  Maybe a few weeks for a trial run walk. 

I only went for caches 2T and up before, noticing the odds of muggled caches in those are slim.  I like to walk and this hobby fits nicely...

When I worked at the hoosegow I pretty-much had to play golf.  When I retired that was the first hobby gone. Didn't find it enjoyable.

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

I'm almost done with my (hopefully) last experience with chemo, and I'll play again when I can.

I get bummed out (of life in general sometimes) then I read something like this & am reminded my problems are miniscule. 

I'll never enjoy it like I did the first few years but just reading find logs on my old caches keeps me going I guess. Seems hiding a new one is too much trouble as opposed to 20 years ago so I dont even bother anymore. I'll continue to pass thru once in a while & pay my dues as long as I can  tho. That way it'll help keep the game going & hopefully enthuse many newbies in years to come.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, WV_GeoBear said:

So the past year lots of personal challenges enough to push one’s limits to overcome yet I have.  My disappointment is constantly muggled caches. Trackables that people just hold on to,  I’m land locked by a National Park and unfortunately dark green and light green  are to difficult to differentiate so I won’t fight to place anymore.   Sorry if I’m on a soap box . But really can’t find the enjoyment anymore. 

I'm sorry to hear.  I play when I want to and don't stress out about streaks or FTFs or anything.  Last year I found 30 caches.  I enjoyed the caches I found, and found them when I felt like geocaching.  When I didn't feel like geocaching, I didn't force myself to go geocaching.  I still love the hobby and support it through premium membership, and try to show the parts I love about geocaching through my videos and film festival entries. 

I don't do a ton of geocaching near home, I mostly participate when I'm on travel, as it's great for finding new places.

It's okay to just play when you want, as often or not often as you want.  

• Upvote 3

I've cleaned out my local area of caches I'm physically capable of doing; and there isn't anyone else hiding caches in my area, so I only cache these days to get a souvenir or when I'm travelling.

I'll plan trips, solve (or fail to solve) puzzles and generally poddle about in GSAK.  Otherwise, geocaching sits in the background until the next souvenir or trip looms.

I don't have the thrill I used to have, but that's fine.  I enjoy it when it happens.

I found about 120 on a trip to Tasmania recently.  I'm heading to Wodonga in October and hoping to go to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road next year.  That will keep me happy.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1