Where to purchase GPS unit.

Guest BigNick

Guest BigNick

Does anyone have any recommendation's on where to purchase a GPS unit from? I have looked in both Dick Smith (ETrex $399) and MapWorld (ETrex $445), is there anyone who has them cheaper? (Or is it only in the US where you can get them for US$99 icon_frown.gif )

Regards

Nick

quote:
Originally posted by BigNick:

Does anyone have any recommendation's on where to purchase a GPS unit from? I have looked in both Dick Smith (ETrex $399) and MapWorld (ETrex $445), is there anyone who has them cheaper? (Or is it only in the US where you can get them for US$99 icon_frown.gif )

Regards

Nick

dude whatever you guy it will have to be shipped a good ways. i think if your looking for cheap you should get someone in the states to buy it for u and ship....maybe you could buy a cheap one from www.ebay.com and they seller would ship it....but still shippings going to cost a lot....

Guest HunterGatherer

i got mine off eBay

look for a guy named Ira Barmarsh (or something like that) he owns a Sporting Goods Store on the East Coast of the US.

He gave me a dadgum good deal, shipped it in less than a week and wrote "sample" on the package so there wouldn't be any customs charges.

there were plenty of other people on eBay willing to ship to NZ, but Ira had the best deal.

goodluck

Guest BigNick

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

Try the link below to Amazon.com where they give Geocachers good discounts. The Garmin eTrex is only US$99.00 with free shipping, presumably to anywhere in the world. This would equate to NZ$240.00 approx on your credit card. I think that will be very hard to beat icon_smile.gif.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00003WGP5/geocaching

Thanks, I have been waiting for a while now for Amazon to get them back in stock - unfortunately the free shipping has now ended icon_frown.gif

Of cource I would prefer to buy locally, and I can accept that a retailer has to make a profit - but someone is making a lot if you can buy for $240NZ (retail) in the US, but they are selling for $400NZ (retail) in NZ, and this may force me to buy from overseas.... (Even Garmins RRP is $145US = $333NZ)

Maybe some parallel importing is called for (maybe I should see if "The Warehouse" is interested icon_smile.gif )

Nick.

Guest BigNick

I think my wife must have got sick of me talking about about GPS units, as when I got home I found a Etrex waiting for me - so I am off to have a look for GC547 tommorow morning(nice and close to me) - thanks for everyones comments and suggestions. Have a good New Year.

Nick.

Guest Nemesis

ay import duty and GST to customs. icon_smile.gif

Those others still looking for a GPSR, might consider checking out the marine radio stores in their area too. I got my eTrex Summit from Thomas Electronics in Dunedin, it cost me about $700. Try getting a discount for cash, I got about $100 of the list price that way. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.