Premium only vs. everyone - what's the difference?

RosaBunt

8 hours ago, RosaBunt said:

Hey guys and gals,

yesterday we planted our first cache. While setting everythink up, I was asked whether I want it to be visible for everyone or limit it for prem members only.

Why should I limit it? Do I miss a point here?
Cheers

There are really three levels of cache access:

1) Premium membership - can access all caches via app or website

2) Basic member via website - can access all non-premium caches via the website only

3) Basic member via the app - can only access traditional caches rated with terrain and difficulty 2 or less, and events

If you mark your cache as PMO (premium member only), you limit access to only item 1 above.  If you leave it non-PMO, then it can only be accessed by basic members according to the type and D/T ratings.

So if you have a traditional with D or T greater than 2, then for people only using the app, it's essentially a PMO cache.

I don't mark my caches as PMO because I want more people to be able to find them, and I don't invest a lot in cache containers (typically use lock n locks).  But I create a lot of mystery caches and so only the first two categories I listed above can find those.  If you had some custom container that would be hard to replace you might want to mark it PMO. 

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 3
9 hours ago, RosaBunt said:

yesterday we planted our first cache. While setting everythink up, I was asked whether I want it to be visible for everyone or limit it for prem members only.

Why should I limit it? Do I miss a point here?

You've done a few PMO caches.  Did you see any differences between them and any others?  We never did...

Some believe that PMO gives some security, especially on low Distance/Terrain hides, from "load a free app and go" kids.

- Now that we're seeing brand-new people becoming PMO right off the bat, that thinking's kaput...

• Upvote 4
4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Some believe that PMO gives some security, especially on low Distance/Terrain hides, from "load a free app and go" kids.

- Now that we're seeing brand-new people becoming PMO right off the bat, that thinking's kaput...

Of the 501 caches in my region, 121 (24%) are PMO, including, I see, an EarthCache. Only one of my hides is PMO, it's a traditional that went missing about a year ago but a month later I found the container sitting inside the hollow base of a tree about 50 metres from GZ. Thinking it might have been some "muggle with app" who thought the idea of the game was to take the cache you find and hide it somewhere else, I set it to PMO as a precaution. So far there's been no repeat so I'll likely remove the PMO setting in due course. My caches get few enough finds as it is without trying to further restrict them.