Was hat es mit dieser Mail auf sich?

Penthesilea1201

Hallo liebe Mitcacher*innen,

hat noch jemand von euch diese Mail mit dem Betreff "Earn a Free T-Shirt by Participating in Geocaching's Cache Condition Study" bekommen? Der Absender ist Lee Sherry, lee@geocaching.com.

Da heute so viel mit Fake Mails betrogen wird und ich nirgends etwas über diese Studie gelesen habe, traue ich micht  nicht, auf den Link zu klicken. Immerhin erscheint der Name auf signalhire.com in einer "list of geocaching HQ employees". Aber das muss ja auch noch nichts über die Seriosität der Mail zu sagen haben.

image.png.a8dfe033b71126de688bc4f9ead477a6.png

Hi all,

Yes, the email above is a legitimate one from HQ's Data Team. I'm a member of that team and Lee is my colleague (my boss, actually! :D). We have one other member of the team, David.

Only a small group of individuals - around 60 so far in Germany, the US, the UK, and France - have been invited to the study. It's a very small study being conducted by our small team to try to get a more accurate picture of the health and quality of the geocaching gameboard. We want to discern how timely, objective reports from experienced cachers match up with the algorithms we have that rely solely on cache logs for reporting overall cache conditions.

Since we are a small team and this study is being conducted solely by the three of us, it is lacking some polish, translation, etc. We apologize for those limitations and hope that you'll be willing to participate.

Thank you!

Jon (Moun10Bike)

=============================================

Google translation:

Hallo alle,

Ja, die obige E-Mail ist eine legitime E-Mail des Datenteams von HQ. Ich bin ein Mitglied dieses Teams und Lee ist mein Kollege (eigentlich mein Chef!). Wir haben noch ein weiteres Teammitglied, David.

Nur eine kleine Gruppe von Personen – bisher etwa 60 in Deutschland, den USA, Großbritannien und Frankreich – wurde zu der Studie eingeladen. Es ist eine sehr kleine Studie, die von unserem kleinen Team durchgeführt wird, um zu versuchen, ein genaueres Bild von der Gesundheit und Qualität des Geocaching-Spielbretts zu bekommen. Wir möchten erkennen, wie zeitnahe, objektive Berichte von erfahrenen Cachern mit den Algorithmen übereinstimmen, die wir haben, die sich ausschließlich auf Cache-Protokolle verlassen, um die allgemeinen Cache-Bedingungen zu melden.

Da wir ein kleines Team sind und diese Studie ausschließlich von uns dreien durchgeführt wird, fehlt es ihr an Feinschliff, Übersetzung usw. Wir entschuldigen uns für diese Einschränkungen und hoffen, dass Sie bereit sind, daran teilzunehmen.

Danke schön!

Jon (Moun10Bike)

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 4

Any plans to study any in Canada? I would love to participate! I try to comment in many of my logs on the state of a cache & have no hesitation in asking for the attention of the CO or reviewer, wish more people would do the same…better maintained caches would improve the experience! 

Hi, another Geocacher I know received an email to join this study. Sorry to say but alarm bells started ringing. The email looks like a phishing scam. I posted in another forum to see if anyone else had received such an email & again others thought it was a scam. Am I right in thinking a Tee Shirt was being offered if you joined the study?

The cacher I spoke to said he's too busy anyway to take part even if it is legit. But is there no way that this could have been included on the Geocaching blog or somewhere "official" to allay these fears of a scam?

If it was posted elsewhere I have been unable to find it. It was purely by chance that yet another cacher found the above posts.

• Upvote 1