How do I deal with a cacher who logs my challenges illegally?

pantadeusz

Hi,

I recently published a series of challenge caches. A new user has logged four of them without satisfying any. I deleted her logs and sent her a message explaining why I did that and that she can leave a note instead. As she is a very new cacher (only has 1 find except for my challenge caches), I also explained that it may be a good idea to just start by finding traditional caches.

She then proceeded to log the caches twice more, and I deleted her logs twice more. Now she has logged them again, for the fourth time. She never replied to my message.

I know that she did physically find at least one of the caches, as she posted a photo of the container with one of her logs. She has not signed any of the four logbooks.

I am also slightly surprised that, even though she is a completely new cacher and potentially not understanding the rules of the game perfectly, she already has a premium account.

Anyway, I mostly would like to ask for advice - where can I take it from here? I feel like deleting the logs again is pointless as chances are she will just log them one more time. Is there somewhere I could report the situation to?

Edited by pantadeusz
  • Funny 1

As they keep logging, you could make a log on each of the challenge caches and explain why the logs are being deleted; no signature and doesn't meet the challenge. Maybe at first don't mention their name, but if they relog again, mention their name. Say you will keep deleting the logs until they meet the challenge, as it's unfair on those who do meet the challenge. Mention you messaged them and they ignored you. Don't allow a note log to remain, unless they sign the log, as a note could later be changed to a find, and as you don't get a message about changes like this (WE SHOULD!), this would be a backdoor method for them to utilise.

There is the possibility they are just very, very 'THICK🧱'!, or a troll.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 2

Most new members we're seeing join as premium members...why we think it funny that some believe PMO has some security...

Are you trying emails or just that message center thing?  I don't believe I've even replied to a message, but do with email...  

If it's really starting to bug you, you could contact Geocaching HQ and maybe they can give her a short geocaching 101 lesson.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4
27 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Most new members we're seeing join as premium members...why we think it funny that some believe PMO has some security...

Are you trying emails or just that message center thing?  I don't believe I've even replied to a message, but do with email...  

If it's really starting to bug you, you could contact Geocaching HQ and maybe they can give her a short geocaching 101 lesson.

You get an email with a message, so should be no different. I prefer messaging, a it leaves a record of conversation.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 2
24 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

You get an email with a message, so should be no different. I prefer messaging, a it leaves a record of conversation.

Only if you have that option turned on. I'm not sure now what its default setting is, but I suspect it might be "off". I'm seeing more and more of this sort of thing around here, with new players starting off with premium membership before they've even found their first cache, doing everything on their phone, never visiting the website and heading out to do some high D/T non-traditional with no idea how the game works. They never respond to messages, probably because they have no idea about Message Centre or how to access it.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

They probably get the email notifications of the log deletions. And, maybe they don't get email notifications of messages.

I also tend to favour messages over just email - if they use the app, they'll get the message waiting flag even if they don't get the email (assuming they have that level of app notification turned on as well). It's VERY unlikely that a user has no email communication and no notification in any way of new messages, especially in today's smartphone culture.  But communicating via both, while it may seem overkill, covers all the available bases. 

If they own a cache you could post a log to their cache and hope they see that :P

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 2