Photo Goals: Collaboration project to improve clarity of the category

Hello all,

The "Photo Goals" category might benefit from the collective knowledge of the Waymarking community at large to improve its description.  This forum is being provided to facilitate a way for us to 'rewrite the concept' in a more clear language and ultimately reduce confusion and frustration for everyone that would like to participate in what was intended to be a fun activity.

I think it best if I start off by opening the floor to your productive comments.  Comments that are designed to improve the category.  This is not an area to air grievances about the past, only to serve as a potential reset point for success going forward.

So, with that in mind, where should we start?

• Upvote 3

I think you explained it well in the other thread.
I like the way you act.

Thanks for all The Blue Qasar, 

It is good that you returned to the category. WM needs people (especially reviewers) like you: open to dialogue, willing to change, to correct mistakes and, above all, to explain their category.

"Take a photo of yourself DOING something" is not being adhered to. Either by those posting a waymark, or visiting the waymark. Is this what the category wants to see? Then adhere to it. If not, maybe change the wording in the re-write.

(Above is from some published waymarks, and the category description for suggestion on how to word the waymark)

From the forum discussion posted earlier this week, on a decline vote:

The Waymarking was declined again. The reason was:

I have had a good look around your site, and while it appears to be a worthy challenge, this waymark does NOT meet guidelines for inclusion in this category.

This category specifically requires you to take a photo of yourself DOING something, not achieving something. Simply taking a photo does not qualify. Neither does fulfilling any sort of 'challenge.'

This is simply not true. The category description does NOT state you are required to take a photo of yourself DOING something. Simply taking a photo is what many photo goals waymarks require. It's very confusing to me to see this. So going forward, I would like to see this confusion eliminated.

23 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The category description does NOT state you are required to take a photo of yourself DOING something.

This confuses me ^^^^

The category description says this

The focus of this Waymarking Game is to encourage people to perform actions and be photographed doing so. The actions should be fun ones that would attract attention from others in a confused or 'rolling of the eyes' kind of way.

This is about creating a challenge for people to DO things, and not really about the location. But Visitors will log where they were able to DO the challenge!

This category is NOT about finding things at all, at least not ones that are static. It is about ACTIONS! We want to see people doing crazy fun things. We want to see people doing something specific but with an item that is only at a spot for a brief period of time.

Can you help me understand what we are reading differently?

As for this

23 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The Waymarking was declined again. The reason was:

I have had a good look around your site, and while it appears to be a worthy challenge, this waymark does NOT meet guidelines for inclusion in this category.

This category specifically requires you to take a photo of yourself DOING something, not achieving something. Simply taking a photo does not qualify. Neither does fulfilling any sort of 'challenge.'

If I am right in which submission that was, all I could see what to take a picture of yourself with a certain page loaded on screen.  I did ask for clarification but I don't believe any was returned.  

If memory serves, four new Waymarks have been published in the last 7 days.  Of the rest, which are also four, that were not published one was denied three times for the same reason, one was denied twice for being based on a single location, one was denied once for being based on a single location, and the last one was denied once for lack of action on the participant.  To illustrate further, the last one was similar to "take a photo of a cat looking down on you".  

Looking at the four published ones, I very much like the 'getting eaten by a mailbox' one.  The person in the picture really got into it.  The 'grab the bull by the horns' is okay, I do wish they were visibly acting up more than just standing there.  'Pilot a boat' while some might say is a common thing, they made it detailed with that you must be at the tiller and the boat must be in motion.  The last one 'view something through a microscope and explain it' is not something people can do all the time, it needs special equipment and to be able to take a photo of what the microscope sees.  All four of these have and show people DOing things.

Again, I'm not trying to change the past and if I were to go backwards in time I would only go back to the start of 2023.  I'm in the process of trying to review the reviews before I stumbled back into this last week.  I know one of the other officers personally, and the other seems quite capable as well.  I'm sure all three of us would like to be able to serve the community as best as possible.  

• Funny 2
1 hour ago, The Blue Quasar said:

Exactly. That's part of the problem. So I'm hoping going forward there will be clarification on what is expected (and I've seen all three of these examples in the waymark postings AND visits):

*Nowhere in the category description does it say you have to take a photo of yourself doing the task.

1. Take a photo of YOURSELF jumping high. In other words, a Selfie.

2. Jump high and have someone take a photo showing you doing this task.

3. Take a photo of a random stranger jumping high.

It's one of my big personal irks that waymarkers do not think THEY, THEMSELVES need to be the one completing this task, regardless of who is taking the photo. This needs to be addressed. Do YOU, the WAYMARKER  visiting this photo goal waymark need to be the one doing the task? Can I visit a waymark and just submit a photo of someone else jumping high?

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 2
15 hours ago, Max and 99 said:
16 hours ago, The Blue Quasar said:

Exactly. That's part of the problem

Huh? Got to be honest, the description that I copied and pasted seems straight forward.  

This is about creating a challenge for people to DO things, and not really about the location. But Visitors will log where they were able to DO the challenge!

This category is NOT about finding things at all, at least not ones that are static. It is about ACTIONS! 

What in there is not stating that people must DO an Action?

15 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

*Nowhere in the category description does it say you have to take a photo of yourself doing the task.

It says it clearly in the quoted blue text above.  Visitors will log where they were able to DO the challenge.  Every Waymark requires a Visitor to upload a photo, not just this category but all categories.  Why would this one be any different?  In fact, if anything it seems the only way to visit a Waymark.

I genuinely want to help, but am struggling to understand your responses as they don't seem related to what I've said previously.

• Funny 1
16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Actually is it right in the description here as well.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:
You must provide an image of yourself meeting the photo goal and you must also provide the coordinates where you were able to perform the photo goal. Further story about how you were able accomplish the photo goal and any other activities associated with it would be a great thing to include. We’d love to hear about your adventure!

1 hour ago, The Blue Quasar said:

Huh? Got to be honest, the description that I copied and pasted seems straight forward.  

I will bow out trying to help any further. You seem genuinely interested in feedback and I've given you my honest feedback trying to make the category easier to understand going forward.  If we as English speakers cannot agree on the meaning of the written words of the category there is no hope for non English speakers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

This is absolutely not true, and totally irrelevant to the conversation about the category rewrite.

You're the one that brought it up.  I was merely trying to address it.

Your post: Posted Wednesday at 05:17 PM

So on one hand you are commenting that the category description does not say anything about taking a photo of yourself, and then you say it is totally irrelevant to the conversation about a category rewrite. :wacko:  One would think if we are attempting to fix the category that it would be any and all aspects that are unclear.  You raised a concern about the lack of a photo requirement, I've replied showing that it is there, and now it sounds like you are saying it's not relevant.  Why would you raise a concern that you think is irrelevant?  To make matters worse you claim it is "absolutely not true" and yet the documentation shows that it is.  Perhaps it is true that some Waymark listing owners are not enforcing or policing visits on their own Waymarks, but the category description has a crystal clear requirement of what is required for a valid visit log.

How is it my fault if someone else isn't checking logs on their own waymark?  Do you expect me to check all of the logs on all of the waymarks in the category even though that is something the owner of the listing is supposed to do?

If you have something helpful, constructive and answers concerns to offer then I'm all ears.  So far you have not provided anything that facilitates improvement or identifies where issues are arising,  

6 hours ago, The Blue Quasar said:

Every Waymark requires a Visitor to upload a photo, not just this category but all categories.  Why would this one be any different?  In fact, if anything it seems the only way to visit a Waymark.

Some categories require "Describe your experience" with no mention of having to take and/or submit a photograph, in order to claim a Visit to the Waymark...

• Helpful 1

Slightly Off Topic...

Having had a look at the category, it would seem that those logging a Visit are failing to comply with the Visit instructions.

Visit Instructions:
You must provide an image of yourself meeting the photo goal and you must also provide the coordinates where you were able to perform the photo goal.

Very few (if any!) add the co-ordinates of where their Photo Goal was achieved.

8 hours ago, elyob said:

It is unclear.  Do 'I' have to be the person in the photograph performing the waymarkable action?  Can I photograph some other person performing the waymarkable action?

As @Bear and Raggedshared, yes you must be in the photo.  You can have others in the photo also completing the task, but you must be in the photo doing the task.

• Surprised 1
On 2/17/2023 at 11:37 PM, elyob said:

It is unclear.  Do 'I' have to be the person in the photograph performing the waymarkable action?  Can I photograph some other person performing the waymarkable action?

According to an officer in this category: 

"This category specifically requires you to take a photo of yourself doing something, not achieving something."

You are both the photographer and the subject. 

11 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

The Blue Quasar, have you considered resigning as leader?

I see no reason to do so.  Given the lack of constructive feedback to improve things, and posts from people saying things that they then pretend they didn't, or ask questions when the answer was already explained clearly in the category.... I'm not even seeing the problem, and no one has offered anything better or at all.

What I am seeing is complaints that people who are logging visits are not providing adequate photos.  That is not for myself or the officers to address.  The person who submitted the waymark is the one to deal with fake logs.

I've asked several times, if anyone has something that they can suggest to improve the category clarity then please offer it.  Complaining about something, offering no alternative or solution, then claiming otherwise it just a waste of everyone's time.  Either provide help or accept the category the way it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1