Waypoint Management and Software

Guest rediguana

Guest rediguana

Hi All. Been pretty quiet here... wonder if anyone is reading?

I was wondering how do you manage your waypoints? The reason behind this is to give me some guidance on the whole waypoint database I was working on.

1/ Are you able to connect your GPS to your PC?

2/ Do you use software to manage your waypoints, if so what software?

Personally, I can and do connect my GPS to the computer. I currently use the Groundspeak EasyGPS to manage waypoints, as it is quick easy and free, but I am also very interested in Topomap by Mapworld when it is hopefully released very soon with Terralink digital topo maps. It should be quite cool.

If a web site was to accept a batch of uploaded waypoints, how would you like it to be done?

Be interested in hearing everyones thoughts! Thanks in advance.

Gavin

Guest Nemesis

stead I store them by outing (by date downloaded; as my GPS fills up). I can then open the files relating to any given outing and find a given waypoint by number or general location relative to my track logs (I note the number and description in a paper master log book for each waypoint as I collect them).

As for waypoint lists, I would prefer to be able to upload tab-delimeited text lists of records of lat., long, elevation, and label. However, I can massage the data to fit whatever format you decide to use (within reason).

Regards,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

Yep, as always I'm here icon_wink.gif.

As for waypoint lists, I would prefer to be able to upload tab-delimeited text lists of records of lat., long, elevation, and label. However, I can massage the data to fit whatever format you decide to use (within reason).

icon_smile.gif You're not the only one lurking hehe

What's MacGPSPro like? I guess ideally the formats supported should be in line with software that people use, hence the question I asked. Personally I think there should be little need to massage data as long as we can use a file format that is supported by various software programs. That way it is easier for more people to upload waypoints easily.

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

Yep, as always I'm here icon_wink.gif.

icon_smile.gif You're not the only one lurking hehe

What's MacGPSPro like? I guess ideally the formats supported should be in line with software that people use, hence the question I asked. Personally I think there should be little need to massage data as long as we can use a file format that is supported by various software programs. That way it is easier for more people to upload waypoints easily.

Cheers Gav

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

What's MacGPSPro like?...we can use a file format that is supported by various software programs.

MacGPSPro is cool, it allows you to overlay tracks and waypoints on scanned maps and heaps of other stuff, however, it's not free. icon_frown.gif

This is an example of a raw waypoint file:

Format: DMM M/D/Y H:M:S 12.00 hrs Datum[106]: WGS 84

ID Name Comment Date Time Latitude Longitude Icon Display Option Altitude

W 001 001 01/02/1989 -12:00:00 -45°46.661' 170°41.936' Flag NS 4.9

W 002 002 02/03/1989 -12:00:00 -45°46.420' 170°42.149' Flag NS 10.0

W 003 003 03/04/1989 -12:00:00 -45°46.358' 170°42.195' Flag NS 7.1

W 004 004 04/05/1989 -12:00:00 -45°45.983' 170°41.770' Flag NS 22.7

W 005 005 05/06/1989 -12:00:00 -45°45.984' 170°41.769' Flag NS 22.7

W 006 006 06/07/1989 -12:00:00 -45°45.983' 170°41.770' Flag NS 22.0

W 007 007 07/08/1989 -12:00:00 -45°45.985' 170°41.767' Flag NS 22.7

W 008 008 08/09/1989 -12:00:00 -45°46.573' 170°42.688' Flag NS 12.4

I can change the position format and datum along with the units.

The number of characters in the name and comment are limited, therefore, I would need to add the names by hand later on (I see that you have already come up with a naming system, we could use that with a column for each sub category).

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:

What's MacGPSPro like?...we can use a file format that is supported by various software programs.

MacGPSPro is cool, it allows you to overlay tracks and waypoints on scanned maps and heaps of other stuff, however, it's not free. icon_frown.gif

This is an example of a raw waypoint file:

Format: DMM M/D/Y H:M:S 12.00 hrs Datum[106]: WGS 84

ID Name Comment Date Time Latitude Longitude Icon Display Option Altitude

W 001 001 01/02/1989 -12:00:00 -45°46.661' 170°41.936' Flag NS 4.9

W 002 002 02/03/1989 -12:00:00 -45°46.420' 170°42.149' Flag NS 10.0

W 003 003 03/04/1989 -12:00:00 -45°46.358' 170°42.195' Flag NS 7.1

W 004 004 04/05/1989 -12:00:00 -45°45.983' 170°41.770' Flag NS 22.7

W 005 005 05/06/1989 -12:00:00 -45°45.984' 170°41.769' Flag NS 22.7

W 006 006 06/07/1989 -12:00:00 -45°45.983' 170°41.770' Flag NS 22.0

W 007 007 07/08/1989 -12:00:00 -45°45.985' 170°41.767' Flag NS 22.7

W 008 008 08/09/1989 -12:00:00 -45°46.573' 170°42.688' Flag NS 12.4

I can change the position format and datum along with the units.

The number of characters in the name and comment are limited, therefore, I would need to add the names by hand later on (I see that you have already come up with a naming system, we could use that with a column for each sub category).

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest peejay

Hi, we are all still here but its winter so I guess we are keeping under cover. I was in touch with the editor of Netguide magazine recently so hopefully there will be a mention of geocaching in the next issue.

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by peejay:

...hopefully there will be a mention of geocaching...

Cool peejay! Tell us when and if it happens, I would really like to read the article. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:

...hopefully there will be a mention of geocaching...

Cool peejay! Tell us when and if it happens, I would really like to read the article. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

quote:

Hi, we are all still here but its winter so I guess we are keeping under cover. I was in touch with the editor of Netguide magazine recently so hopefully there will be a mention of geocaching in the next issue.

Nah its the best time to get out and get a few caches done - less people around. Also a chance to place caches in time for summer! Hehe. Will be interesting if they do an article on geocaching. I have considered getting in touch with The Press here and letting them know about geocaching, but it may be better left to geoffzone as he has written articles for the Press - one of them about Wolfe's Bridge... where there is a cache funnily enough!

Cheers Gav

Another program you might want to consider is New Zealand Mapped, it's almost half the price and you can upload and download from your gps. I find it really good for printing a small topo map for an area when I go geocaching or tramping. Very worthwhile icon_biggrin.gif

www.nzmapped.com

------------------

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Adman (edited 25 September 2001).]

Another program you might want to consider is New Zealand Mapped, it's almost half the price and you can upload and download from your gps. I find it really good for printing a small topo map for an area when I go geocaching or tramping. Very worthwhile icon_biggrin.gif

www.nzmapped.com

------------------

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Adman (edited 25 September 2001).]

They have a beta version available with a gps interface. (i have been using it for about a month) The beta is available for free

download for owners of nzmapped. The final gps version is going to be a $50 upgrade per island ( icon_smile.gif. It accepts NZMG Geodatum 49 as well as wgs84 lat/long. All a geocacher could ever want.

Their rep said to me they plan to overlay street maps over the 260 series maps in the future. icon_biggrin.gif It just keeps getting better!

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

They have a beta version available with a gps interface. (i have been using it for about a month) The beta is available for free

download for owners of nzmapped. The final gps version is going to be a $50 upgrade per island ( icon_smile.gif. It accepts NZMG Geodatum 49 as well as wgs84 lat/long. All a geocacher could ever want.

Their rep said to me they plan to overlay street maps over the 260 series maps in the future. icon_biggrin.gif It just keeps getting better!

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

they plan to overlay street maps over the 260 series maps in the future.

Especially cool if the street db is searchable icon_smile.gif

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 25 September 2001).]

Guest rediguana

quote:

they plan to overlay street maps over the 260 series maps in the future.

Especially cool if the street db is searchable icon_smile.gif

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 25 September 2001).]

Guest HunterGatherer

If you're interested in purchasing the NZMapped software... it's always worth asking for a bulk discount...

if a few geocachers from the forums will be buying.

Hell even the promise of future purchases is usually enough to secure a discount.

I'd be keen on the North Island CD-Rom

They have a beta version available with a gps interface.

Where is the beta available from? I have NZ Mapped North Island, great product but would love to be able to interface to my GPS.

quote:

Does NZMapped allow you to install all the map files to the hard drive, or does it have to be run from CD/DVD?

Yes you can copy the data file, but the cd still needs to stay in the drive (to satisfy the copy protection), this is how I use it it's definately a huge performance boost icon_smile.gif

I don't know about the dvd version, I presume it works the same.

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

quote:

Does NZMapped allow you to install all the map files to the hard drive, or does it have to be run from CD/DVD?

Yes you can copy the data file, but the cd still needs to stay in the drive (to satisfy the copy protection), this is how I use it it's definately a huge performance boost icon_smile.gif

I don't know about the dvd version, I presume it works the same.

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

[Have you got the 'gps brand' set to garmin and 'gps is connected' ticked in NZ Mapped?

Also check in your etrex setup make sure the interface is set to garmin as well. icon_smile.gif

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yep, i have all of the above. No problems up or downloading to Trackmaker or a number of other GPS software I have tried, only NZ Mapped causes a problem.

[Have you got the 'gps brand' set to garmin and 'gps is connected' ticked in NZ Mapped?

Also check in your etrex setup make sure the interface is set to garmin as well. icon_smile.gif

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yep, i have all of the above. No problems up or downloading to Trackmaker or a number of other GPS software I have tried, only NZ Mapped causes a problem.