TUMONZ (more NZ mapping software cont...)

Guest BigNick

Guest tgsnoopy

Hmm, In reading the key system for setting up this software, it is a nuisance. For example, what if you want to put it on both your home PC and your Laptop? I'll be checking this out when I visit them.

Guest BigNick

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

Hmm, In reading the key system for setting up this software, it is a nuisance. For example, what if you want to put it on both your home PC and your Laptop? I'll be checking this out when I visit them.

The licensing agreement does say that it is to be installed on only one machine (and the key system does prevent it being installed on 2 machines). I am not sure if they have a special price for a second copy, or it you have to purchase a second full version. The other thing with the key system is that if you reinstall your OS, you have to ring a 0900 number to get a new key (rather that do it free online like the first time) and presumably explain why you need another key icon_frown.gif

Guest BigNick

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

The licensing agreement does say that it is to be installed on only one machine (and the key system does prevent it being installed on 2 machines). I am not sure if they have a special price for a second copy, or it you have to purchase a second full version. The other thing with the key system is that if you reinstall your OS, you have to ring a 0900 number to get a new key (rather that do it free online like the first time) and presumably explain why you need another key icon_frown.gif

TGSnoopy, can you ask the Tumonz developers if they have a target date for the release of the Ocean floor contour add on.

I see they have also added pricing for their scanned topomap and orthophoto add-ons to their website. At $350 for everything puts it a lot closer in price to NZMapped and TopoMapPro icon_frown.gif

Thanx

Adam

[This message has been edited by Adman (edited 10 January 2002).]

TGSnoopy, can you ask the Tumonz developers if they have a target date for the release of the Ocean floor contour add on.

I see they have also added pricing for their scanned topomap and orthophoto add-ons to their website. At $350 for everything puts it a lot closer in price to NZMapped and TopoMapPro icon_frown.gif

Thanx

Adam

[This message has been edited by Adman (edited 10 January 2002).]

Would there be any reason to buy the topo maps? i.e. compatability with software? I've contacted LINZ & they have advised me that the maps will be available for free download, hopefully next month.

I can imagine it could be useful if you don't have internet access, but for those of us that do, why bother.

M

Guest BigNick

quote:
Originally posted by H&M:

Would there be any reason to buy the topo maps? i.e. compatability with software? I've contacted LINZ & they have advised me that the maps will be available for free download, hopefully next month.

M

Do you know if these are going to be high resolution like the ortho maps?

No idea.

Here's the whole email (with ctc details)

"Hi Michelle

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Q09, Q10 and Q11. No topo maps are available on our web site yet. We are in the final stages of preparation and hope to have them available by February.

When the page is up and running, you will be able to download the information free.

Regards

David Balm

Senior Advisor NTHA

Land Information New Zealand

E-mail: dbalm@linz.govt.nz"

[This message has been edited by H&M (edited 11 January 2002).]

I also bit the bullet and bought TUMONZ. Due to an server problem they did not get my online order but dispatched the software the next day after my phone enquiry. I was a little disappointed at the detail of the map but forged ahead regardless. The interface is easy to use and well laid out. Trying to connect my eTrex failed. An email to support was answered promptly but unfortunately it was not what I wnated to hear. In short, only live tracking is available at the moment (an update is due in a month or two). I had wanted to download routes and prepare and upload routes and waypoints. And the topographic addons are going to cost nearly $200.

All in all it does not (yet) do what I want to do. I have ordered NZMapped GPS edition. However, now that I hear the topo maps will be avilable online for free, I may continue to use GPSTrackmaker with the topos. I have used trackmaker www.gpstm.com for a little while and it is great....and free.

CD.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by H&M:

Would there be any reason to buy the topo maps?

The free ones may not contain calibration information, so you may well have to manually calibrate each image with 2-3+ waypoints. Could be a pain for a large number of maps.

Cheers Gav

Guest tgsnoopy

rently. The alogrith looks at the registry in the computer it is being installed in, and generates a kind of checksum you need to give them to get them to generate an unlock code of sorts for the software to instal, so there's no cheating with the instal either. Looks like this software is going to get better in time, my suggestion, wait and see, could be very good in the future, but as I already have NZMapped, I'm in no hurry to change. L8rz icon_smile.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

rently. The alogrith looks at the registry in the computer it is being installed in, and generates a kind of checksum you need to give them to get them to generate an unlock code of sorts for the software to instal, so there's no cheating with the instal either. Looks like this software is going to get better in time, my suggestion, wait and see, could be very good in the future, but as I already have NZMapped, I'm in no hurry to change. L8rz icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BigNick:

I have used it to plot most of the caches in my immediate area (this, obviously, was why I purchased it, as you can't exactly pick a cache and just drive with the GPS, following the arrow - sometimes you need to know where you are heading and what you are getting yourself into.

Exactly why I bought it to.

quote:
I have been happy with the waypoint placement accuracy (it has the option of using NZGD2000 map datum, so you can punch in co-ords directly from geocaching pages) and the support is great - I have emailed a couple of suggestions to them, and they have responded (within an hour!) - hopefully we will see them in a future update icon_smile.gif.

Funny that, I suggested that they allow some way to import waypoints from a file and they

said they would look into that.

quote:
Don't get me wrong though, the software is only version 1, and the basics work perfectly, but it does have some quirks. You have to go through a couple of menus to get to the "jump to co-ords" option (currently does not have a KB shortcut) which is a pain. You have to enter each co-ord manually, one at a time, then mark the location, one at a time.

The other problem I have is lack of scrolling with the mouse....

quote:
When you zoom out on the map, your waypoint icons get smaller until they disappear (so you can't get a overview of the caches and their distances apart) There is no way (that I have found) to get the distance between waypoints.

You create a user object and add points and when you zoom out enough it shows you the distance.

quote:
Street names are strange as you zoom (this is being upgraded in the next version I have been told) but overall I can't really complain, for $100 it is pretty dadgum good. (I will now have to make a etrex cable and try out the GPS interface icon_smile.gif )

[This message has been edited by BigNick (edited 09 January 2002).]

It looks like the Garmin eTrex seriews may not talk to TUMONZ at the moment other than showing where you are on the map.

quote:
Originally posted by BigNick:

I have used it to plot most of the caches in my immediate area (this, obviously, was why I purchased it, as you can't exactly pick a cache and just drive with the GPS, following the arrow - sometimes you need to know where you are heading and what you are getting yourself into.

Exactly why I bought it to.

quote:
I have been happy with the waypoint placement accuracy (it has the option of using NZGD2000 map datum, so you can punch in co-ords directly from geocaching pages) and the support is great - I have emailed a couple of suggestions to them, and they have responded (within an hour!) - hopefully we will see them in a future update icon_smile.gif.

Funny that, I suggested that they allow some way to import waypoints from a file and they

said they would look into that.

quote:
Don't get me wrong though, the software is only version 1, and the basics work perfectly, but it does have some quirks. You have to go through a couple of menus to get to the "jump to co-ords" option (currently does not have a KB shortcut) which is a pain. You have to enter each co-ord manually, one at a time, then mark the location, one at a time.

The other problem I have is lack of scrolling with the mouse....

quote:
When you zoom out on the map, your waypoint icons get smaller until they disappear (so you can't get a overview of the caches and their distances apart) There is no way (that I have found) to get the distance between waypoints.

You create a user object and add points and when you zoom out enough it shows you the distance.

quote:
Street names are strange as you zoom (this is being upgraded in the next version I have been told) but overall I can't really complain, for $100 it is pretty dadgum good. (I will now have to make a etrex cable and try out the GPS interface icon_smile.gif )

[This message has been edited by BigNick (edited 09 January 2002).]

It looks like the Garmin eTrex seriews may not talk to TUMONZ at the moment other than showing where you are on the map.