Cache adoption without being initiated by the owner

peter-tvm

Yesterday evening I received an email saying one of my caches had been adopted. This surprised me as this was nothing that I had initiated. 

That my account has been hacked is of course possible, but I found nothing else that looked suspicious among my other caches, message center or recent logs.

I rather suspect that the adoption was made in some other way than the official one by someone or someone's that wants to harass me.

My questions to HQ is to start with these:

How can the the adoption process happen without the owner starting it?

Why is there no email sent to the current owner when the adoption request is sent? 

If I had received this I could have canceled the adoption immediately.

• Surprised 4
5 hours ago, peter-tvm said:

How can the the adoption process happen without the owner starting it?

By lackeys. For example, if the owner has passed away and the heir has expressed interest in his caches.

5 hours ago, peter-tvm said:

Why is there no email sent to the current owner when the adoption request is sent?

It usually is:

image.png.8005bcfa6c7e1ddb095b95bc788c9e54.png

Are you sure you didn't create an adoption request sometime in the past? The adoption request is valid until it is accepted or cancelled.

What did Niebustgaard say? Did she find the new adoption request in her email inbox, or when she opened the link geocaching.com/adopt?

Edited by KRON family
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 2/12/2023 at 8:29 AM, KRON family said:

Are you sure you didn't create an adoption request sometime in the past? The adoption request is valid until it is accepted or cancelled.

Clearing the mystery, this is exactly what had happened here.

The OP had created this adoption request themselves on June 11, 2018. It was only accepted by the adopter on February 11, 2023.

Edited by Bl4ckH4wkGER
  • Surprised 2
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, K13 said:

It would seem a revision in the adoption process is warranted. Perhaps a 180 day time limit for an adoption offer to be valid, after which the adoption cannot be accepted.

After all, unpublished draft cache listings are archived after a certain period of idle time...

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, K13 said:

It would seem a revision in the adoption process is warranted. Perhaps a 180 day time limit for an adoption offer to be valid, after which the adoption cannot be accepted.

I disagree. I don't think Groundspeak's limited programming resources really need to be devoted to safeguard against an issue that has, as far as we all know, affected exactly one (1) forgetful cache owner over the past 23 years.

Even if the problem is ten times worse than we know, I am confident that Groundspeak can handle this on a case by case basis.

• Upvote 4